Old 10-13-2011, 10:08 PM
"LinuxBSDos.com"

Default Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 23:01 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Ok, I do see the point about artwork. But I don't understand how is the
>> release going to be dedicated exactly? I mean practically, is something
>> going
>> to be written somewhere, or otherwise how will most people know that F16
>> is
>> dedicated to Ritchie?
>
> Could be in release notes + release announcement...
>
> -Chris

How about a script that runs on first boot, which shows a window with his
picture and a summary of his contributions to computing?

-
Fini D.
http://LinuxBSDos.com

Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On 10/13/2011 03:05 PM, Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 23:01 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>> Ok, I do see the point about artwork. But I don't understand how is the
>> release going to be dedicated exactly? I mean practically, is something going
>> to be written somewhere, or otherwise how will most people know that F16 is
>> dedicated to Ritchie?
> Could be in release notes + release announcement...
Yup. Exactly. At least the release announcement - I know that those of
us in the marketing team who write the announcements would be happy to
accommodate if people are agreeable to this idea.

-r

Old 10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
inode0

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 5:09 PM, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 03:05 PM, Chris Tyler wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 23:01 +0100, Marko Vojinovic wrote:
>>> Ok, I do see the point about artwork. But I don't understand how is the
>>> release going to be dedicated exactly? I mean practically, is something going
>>> to be written somewhere, or otherwise how will most people know that F16 is
>>> dedicated to Ritchie?
>> Could be in release notes + release announcement...
> Yup. Exactly. At least the release announcement - I know that those of
> us in the marketing team who write the announcements would be happy to
> accommodate if people are agreeable to this idea.

As one person deeply moved by the death of Dennis Ritchie I would be
very happy to see in the press announcement and media coverage
surrounding the release of F16 that it was dedicated to the memory of
Dennis Ritchie. Perhaps the release notes could contain a small C
snippet in his honor. Something along the lines of

http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=11806

would seem appropriate to me (although not original at this point).

John

Old 10-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Clive Hills

.

Yup. Exactly. At least the release announcement - I know that those of

us in the marketing team who write the announcements would be happy to

accommodate if people are agreeable to this idea.

Sounds good.Clive*

Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Tim Burke

Great concept!
Given that its too disruptive for F16, what about considering it for F17
instead. Do people think that the prominence of a release name, albeit
delayed, is more of a commemoration than an honorarium in
relnotes/announcement?

Old 10-14-2011, 02:22 AM
inode0

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Tim Burke <tburke@redhat.com> wrote:
> Great concept!
> Given that its too disruptive for F16, what about considering it for F17
> instead. Do people think that the prominence of a release name, albeit
> delayed, is more of a commemoration than an honorarium in
> relnotes/announcement?

I would really like to see whatever we do done for F16 to be timely.
There really isn't any requirement that the theming match the release
name, just a tradition. If it isn't too late to just change the
release name within F16 I certainly would not object to doing that,
although I think a public statement via the release announcement would
be nice too as that would, I hope, keep Ritchie's memory in the public
eye and remind people of his importance to our community.

Perhaps the board could call a quick open forum to discuss this, so we
could find out what our options really are at this stage of the F16
cycle?

John

Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 AM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 09:22:06PM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Tim Burke <tburke@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Great concept!
> > Given that its too disruptive for F16, what about considering it for F17
> > instead. Do people think that the prominence of a release name, albeit
> > delayed, is more of a commemoration than an honorarium in
> > relnotes/announcement?
>
> I would really like to see whatever we do done for F16 to be timely.
> There really isn't any requirement that the theming match the release
> name, just a tradition. If it isn't too late to just change the
> release name within F16 I certainly would not object to doing that,
> although I think a public statement via the release announcement would
> be nice too as that would, I hope, keep Ritchie's memory in the public
> eye and remind people of his importance to our community.
>
> Perhaps the board could call a quick open forum to discuss this, so we
> could find out what our options really are at this stage of the F16
> cycle?

Probably also needs to get passed to Legal. I know the Board has
a pre-filter that's roughly "no living famous people".. Not sure with
someone recently deceased if they'll worry about next of kin taking offense
or something.

-Toshio

Old 10-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Tom Callaway