Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Christopher Aillon

Default Legal Update

On 11/19/2007 06:25 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Codeina offers a legal solution via Fluendo for those in regions that
accept and enforce patents on software. Unfortunately this favors a
non-free solution while there are perfectly legal (in regions which
don't enforce patents on software which happen to be the majority of the
world) free and open source software available via third party
repositories for Fedora.

Careful. Not enforcing a law doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 19.11.2007 18:15, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:33 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
>> Besides that: it smells a bit like "this solution is preferred, the
>> other one not". Is that what we want?
>> That actually a interesting point in general. E.g. if I start a new
>> fluendo-competition company tomorrow can I get my own codeina-like app
>> into Fedora? Or modify codeina so it points to my webshop as well?
> How about what we really want, which is codeina pointing at zero web
> shops?
>> IOW: Maybe we should create a webpage in the fedoraproject wiki. Then
>> instead of having codeina directly offering the solution for playing
>> popular multimedia formats let it direct users to the wiki page. Let
>> that one list the different solutions side by side with links to
>> homepage from foo and bar; those then can have "click here to use our
>> offerings" and "for playing baz afterwards run foobar install foobaz"
> This is what we tried to have for Fedora 8. I trust that it is
> being/has already been fixed in an update?

I just tried (not sure if I did it properly -- I just started codeina
manually and tried) -- you get the "Fedora has the mission of always
being freely re-distributable; this means[...]" popup; once you go
further you can still select the commercial codecs -- then you get send
to a webshop.

Cu
knurd

Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

So, after thinking about this some more, I'd rather just say no to this
entirely.

Lets stick to having a page on the website which refers people to other
repositories which carry packages that Fedora does not include, and
leave it at that.

Sorry.

~spot

Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Nov 19, 2007 10:35 AM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
> > On 11/19/2007 06:25 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> Codeina offers a legal solution via Fluendo for those in regions that
> >> accept and enforce patents on software. Unfortunately this favors a
> >> non-free solution while there are perfectly legal (in regions which
> >> don't enforce patents on software which happen to be the majority of
> >> the world) free and open source software available via third party
> >> repositories for Fedora.
> >
> > Careful. Not enforcing a law doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>
> Right but in many regions of the world, there isn't any law that
> validates patents on software directly. There are some Grey areas in
> other regions.

While the most restrictive state doesn't apply, the state where the
majority of funding and base of operations does apply.