-   -   Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/540035-subdomain-request-fudcon-fedoraproject-org.html)

Francesco Crippa 06-15-2011 10:48 AM

Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

Hi guys,

I'm working for the planning of next FUDCon EMEA in Milan, and one
thing we want to do is to have a dedicated website for the event (wiki
is not the best 'user experience' to promote an event...)

It's nothing special, just 3 html static pages with information like
"when", "where", etc...

We have sponsors to cover hosting costs or we can use some fedora
servers for that (static html is easy to be hosted).

The problem is that we want to use a 'professional' domain to access
the website.. something like:
fudcon.fedoraproject.org

Using external domains or 'free' services (fudcon.wordpress.com,
etc...) is not very professional, and we need as soon as possible a
domain for the press coverage (it's going to be very urgent in a
couple of weeks)

Is it possible to create this subdomain and point it to a static
Amazon S3 website? I discussed the option with the artwork and
infrastructure team, and apparently this is the right mailing list to
have an "authorization" to proceed in that way

Let me know what do you think
Take care

Francesco

Robyn Bergeron 06-15-2011 11:25 AM

On 06/15/2011 03:48 AM, Francesco Crippa wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working for the planning of next FUDCon EMEA in Milan, and one
> thing we want to do is to have a dedicated website for the event (wiki
> is not the best 'user experience' to promote an event...)
>
> It's nothing special, just 3 html static pages with information like
> "when", "where", etc...
>
> We have sponsors to cover hosting costs or we can use some fedora
> servers for that (static html is easy to be hosted).
>
> The problem is that we want to use a 'professional' domain to access
> the website.. something like:
> fudcon.fedoraproject.org
>
> Using external domains or 'free' services (fudcon.wordpress.com,
> etc...) is not very professional, and we need as soon as possible a
> domain for the press coverage (it's going to be very urgent in a
> couple of weeks)
>
> Is it possible to create this subdomain and point it to a static
> Amazon S3 website? I discussed the option with the artwork and
> infrastructure team, and apparently this is the right mailing list to
> have an "authorization" to proceed in that way
My (non-board member) thoughts:

* How does this subdomain differentiate itself from all of the other
fudcons happening? We are likely to have 3 within the space of about
four months - Milan in October, APAC likely in November or December, and
then NA in January. Would it be possible to have it be fudconmilan.fp.o
or something similar? Or perhaps fudcon.fp.o/milan, and have one
centralized page for fudcons in general (which might a great team/group
project, if someone wanted to take on leadership), and then the ability
to send people to a specific event page?

* I realize that wiki is not the best user experience for event
promotion - but will attendees still need to preregister on the wiki
page? How will you ensure that information on the wiki, and changes to
the wiki, are being reflected on the website, or vice versa?

-Robyn

María Leandro 06-15-2011 12:12 PM

Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

/me solving this doubts with a static html with examples (just writing this mail to let you know that Samuele and I are working on that)

--
tatica

Francesco Crippa 06-15-2011 12:39 PM

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 12:25, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero@redhat.com> wrote:
> * How does this subdomain differentiate itself from all of the other
> fudcons happening? We are likely to have 3 within the space of about
> four months - Milan in October, APAC likely in November or December, and
> then NA in January. *Would it be possible to have it be fudconmilan.fp.o
> or something similar? Or perhaps fudcon.fp.o/milan, and have one
> centralized page for fudcons in general (which might a great team/group
> project, if someone wanted to take on leadership), and then the ability
> to send people to a specific event page?

for me it's ok something like:

fudcon-milan.fedoraproject.org
fudcon-emea.feoraproject.org

In "long term" perspective a dispatcher page will be very interesting,
but I'm not sure if there's time now to coordinate this effort

> * I realize that wiki is not the best user experience for event
> promotion - but will attendees still need to preregister on the wiki
> page? How will you ensure that information on the wiki, and changes to
> the wiki, are being reflected on the website, or vice versa?

user registration on the wiki is the worse user experience possible
(starting from the login, ending to the wiki syntax, passing for
'sensible information' like the tshirt size available for search
engine....)

I really hope we can use a 'simple form' for Fudcon Milan (the
organizers and I will keep the wiki up2date manually, just reporting
the name of the participants)

Take care
Francesco

María Leandro 06-15-2011 12:43 PM

Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

fudcon.fedoraproject.org/emea
fudcon.fedoraproject.org/latam
fudcon.fedoraproject.org/apac

fudcon.fedoraproject.org/na

and then an inner archive with each even year

--
tatica

"Neville A. Cross" 06-15-2011 01:11 PM

On Wed, 2011-06-15 at 08:13 -0430, María Leandro wrote:
> fudcon.fedoraproject.org/emea
> fudcon.fedoraproject.org/latam
> fudcon.fedoraproject.org/apac
> fudcon.fedoraproject.org/na
>
> and then an inner archive with each even year

I like the idea of having an archive for past years.

I also think that if we can some how manage to have a different
registration process that does not impply wiki editing we will have
better success with first-commers from local public.

Even for people that have get into wiki editing, such long table is
really scaring. Probably we can split those that are looking from
sponsorship and those that are just attending. Leving the non sponsored
in simpler web form.

Just some ideas.

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217

María Leandro 06-15-2011 01:13 PM

Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

Check 1 things:

1.- Upper menu: categorize fudcon per regions
2.- Check footer: past events

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/5835583307_90a1a1ef53_o.png

--
tatica

Dennis Gilmore 06-15-2011 03:01 PM

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 05:48:03 AM Francesco Crippa wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working for the planning of next FUDCon EMEA in Milan, and one
> thing we want to do is to have a dedicated website for the event (wiki
> is not the best 'user experience' to promote an event...)

Perhaps we are best of getting a domain just for fudcons

then we could keep it fairly short <event>.fudcon.<TLD> we can then archive
old fudcon pages like they do for linux.conf.au with the main page having
links to the next regional events?

maybe we use it for more than fudcons and get some other short domain that can
be used?

Dennis

Francesco Crippa 06-15-2011 03:19 PM

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 16:01, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> wrote:
> Perhaps we are best of getting a domain just for fudcons
>
> then we could keep it fairly short <event>.fudcon.<TLD> we can then archive
> old fudcon pages like they do for linux.conf.au *with the main page having
> links to the next regional events?
>
> maybe we use it for more than fudcons and get some other short domain that can
> be used?

+1

who is the entity that should "own" the domain?

RedHat? Myself?

take care
francesco

Guillermo Gómez 06-15-2011 05:32 PM

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@ausil.us> wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 05:48:03 AM Francesco Crippa wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm working for the planning of next FUDCon EMEA in Milan, and one
>> thing we want to do is to have a dedicated website for the event (wiki
>> is not the best 'user experience' to promote an event...)
>
> Perhaps we are best of getting a domain just for fudcons

+1

> then we could keep it fairly short <event>.fudcon.<TLD> we can then archive
> old fudcon pages like they do for linux.conf.au *with the main page having
> links to the next regional events?

Not sure about the naming rule for <event> (??)

> maybe we use it for more than fudcons and get some other short domain that can
> be used?
>

> Dennis

Guillermo