Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Kévin Raymond

Default Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail
<kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:
> just mentioning another alternative for a system.
>
> FUDCon KL (http://fedora.my/events/fudconkl2012) uses an addon on
> Plone which I develop myself ..
> https://github.com/inigoconsulting/collective.conference ..
>
> Its a bit basic right now, and only enough to run FUDCon KL and not as
> mature as the drupal systems ... though more features will come as
> theres some NGO interested to fund it ..
>
> currently what it can do :
>
> - anonymous registration + session submission
> - organize sessions using arshaw's jquery fullcalendar
> - session, participant, and agenda listing
> - simple session approval
> - multiple events per site
> - utilize plone's built in document management features
>
> This system is also going to be used by the malaysian team for our
> future barcamp style FADs ¬*..
>
> Perhaps fp.o might be interested to use it to.. but of course, the
> community should decide on this .. as I understand that Plone is not
> exactly familiar to many people.
>
> --
> Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail / KageSenshi
> Inigo Consulting (FOSS/Plone Development, Training & Services)
> http://www.inigo-tech.com
> Fedora Malaysia Contributor & Ambassador
> http://blog.kagesenshi.org
> 92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866¬* 5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331

Hi,

Never heard about Plone before…
What are the infra requirement, on which language is it running, which
database…?
Is there an RPM?
Does it support multi-language?

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

Hi Kevin,

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 9:24 PM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Never heard about Plone before…

Plone (http://plone.org) is a CMS written on top of Zope Application
Server .. which is written using Python language.

> What are the infra requirement, on which language is it running, which
> database…?

The database is and object database called ZODB and it is bundled
together with the Zope installation. ZODB default storage is file
based, but optionally, ZODB may use MySQL or PGSQL as its backend
storage, allowing replication/backup through the SQL backend ..

Infra requirement for latest Plone,

* Python2.6 (so should be ok on RHEL/CentOS .. but if its a Fedora
server, will need compat-python26)
* ability to listen to a port
* gcc, g++, python2.6-devel, libxslt-devel, libjpeg-devel, zlib-devel
for buildout to build some python eggs (what is buildout?, covered
below)

> Is there an RPM?

There used to be RPM for Fedora, but it was orphaned, and for EPEL,
its outdated.

However, the best method (and also the recommended method by the
Plone community) of deployment of Plone is using Buildout
(http://www.buildout.org/) , which is a deployment tool which
automatically pulls python eggs from pypi , and install them into a
self-contained directory, avoiding conflicts with system's python
site-package, and also allowing easy updates to latest versions
without being restricted to distribution packages.

I'm not sure how well this will go with the infra team ..

> Does it support multi-language?

as in translation ?.. Plone itself support multilingual using an addon
called LinguaPlone. LinguaPlone allows each page to have different
language versions.

However my conference addon does not support it yet as I am utilizing
a new content type framework for Plone, of which it have yet to get a
multilingual support (planned, as this new content type framework is
supposed to replace the current one.. but not ready yet) ..

http://www.inigo-tech.com

Old 05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

to try out .. you can run these commands

git clone git@github.com:inigoconsulting/collective.conference.git
cd collective.conference
python2.6 bootstrap.py
./bin/buildout -v
# after buildout successfully run
./bin/instance fg # this runs the zope server in foreground ..

the conference tool is installable as an addon ..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 11 May 2012 21:54:33 +0800
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail <kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> There used to be RPM for Fedora, but it was orphaned, and for EPEL,
> its outdated.
>
> However, the best method (and also the recommended method by the
> Plone community) of deployment of Plone is using Buildout
> (http://www.buildout.org/) , which is a deployment tool which
> automatically pulls python eggs from pypi , and install them into a
> self-contained directory, avoiding conflicts with system's python
> site-package, and also allowing easy updates to latest versions
> without being restricted to distribution packages.
>
> I'm not sure how well this will go with the infra team ..

Not too well off hand.

We like everything to be managed by our package management system.

It's possible we could be talked into a setup like above, but it would
require at least the rest of the request for resources process and some
convincing. The thing we 100% wish to avoid with any of these solutions
is "hey, here's this solution" and then people wandering off and
leaving US to maintain something long term without help or expertise.

Any solution should be long term maintainable.

kevin

Old 05-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Kévin Raymond

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2012 21:54:33 +0800
> Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail <kagesenshi.87@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
>> There used to be RPM for Fedora, but it was orphaned, and for EPEL,
>> its outdated.
>>
>> However, ¬*the best method (and also the recommended method by the
>> Plone community) of deployment of Plone is using Buildout
>> (http://www.buildout.org/) , which is a deployment tool which
>> automatically pulls python eggs from pypi , and install them into a
>> self-contained directory, avoiding conflicts with system's python
>> site-package, and also allowing easy updates to latest versions
>> without being restricted to distribution packages.
>>
>> I'm not sure how well this will go with the infra team ..
>
> Not too well off hand.
>
> We like everything to be managed by our package management system.
>
> It's possible we could be talked into a setup like above, but it would
> require at least the rest of the request for resources process and some
> convincing. The thing we 100% wish to avoid with any of these solutions
> is "hey, here's this solution" and then people wandering off and
> leaving US to maintain something long term without help or expertise.

And the major problem is that FUDCon teams change every years…

> Any solution should be long term maintainable.
>
> kevin

Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)
GPG-Key: A5BCB3A2

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Kévin Raymond
<shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

>> Not too well off hand.
>>
>> We like everything to be managed by our package management system.
>>
>> It's possible we could be talked into a setup like above, but it would
>> require at least the rest of the request for resources process and some
>> convincing. The thing we 100% wish to avoid with any of these solutions
>> is "hey, here's this solution" and then people wandering off and
>> leaving US to maintain something long term without help or expertise.

yeah understandable .. though I myself has expertise on Plone as its
part of my dayjob, and i'm contributing there too .. So I can help out
in the setup and some maintenance ..

> And the major problem is that FUDCon teams change every years…

you mean for ACL? .. Plone permission infrastructure is hierarchical
.. each content in Plone may have its own set of people who are
allowed to add/edit/delete them .. permissions on folders are
inherited by its contents ..

so what we can do here is , use Plone's OpenID support to integrate it
with FAS (or I can write a Plone Auth plugin for directly integrate it
with FAS, but imo, OpenID is simpler) .. for each FUDCon, assign an
owner to it .. everything under the FUDCon folder are fully controlled
by the new owner .. he/she may share the folder to his team ..

Old 05-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Kévin Raymond

[snip]

>> And the major problem is that FUDCon teams change every years…
>
> you mean for ACL? .. Plone permission infrastructure is hierarchical
> .. each content in Plone may have its own set of people who are
> allowed to add/edit/delete them .. permissions on folders are
> inherited by its contents ..

No I mean for the infra maintainers.
We need to have a team dedicated, really involved.

[snip]

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)

Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 AM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 11:32 PM, Kťvin Raymond
<shaiton@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> No I mean for the infra maintainers.
> We need to have a team dedicated, really involved.
>
> [snip]

ok then :-) .. in the meantime fedora.my will be using this for our
events (FADs, Release Party, etc) .. and I'll be improving it as it
goes, and when it matures a bit more, create a generic deployment
buildout in case fudcon.fp.o or other communities/conference want to
run their own setup ..

p/s: just another idea, but this might be cool too .. of course, it
will need system made/customized for it ...

events.fp.o/fudcon/<region>/year
events.fp.o/fad/<location>/<MMYY>
events.fp.o/releaseparty/<location>/<relnum>