Old 06-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Marķa Leandro

Default Subdomain request: fudcon.fedoraproject.org

I would go with something more like campus-party or fisl structure:

<region>.fudcon.<com/org>/year

When domains are easier, people remember them most

--
tatica

Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Clint Savage

2011/6/15 Marķa Leandro <tatica@fedoraproject.org>:
> I would go with something more like campus-party or fisl structure:
>
> <region>.fudcon.<com/org>/year
>
> When domains are easier, people remember them most

+1 to that

Plus, if you have the fudcon.fp.o main page up-to-date with list the
*current* links. Below have a simple archive of past events. This
becomes a much more useful page.

Cheers,

Clint

Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Before we setup anything....

1. There is a google summer of code project to

"Create a fedora events system to manage the events which is currently
being done over the wiki right now"

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/hiemanshu/22001

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2011#Create_a_Fedora_Event s_System

http://nushio.fedorapeople.org/fes/roadmap.html

This work I think has been moving forward with the fedora insight
system (a drupal instance) and coordinated on the fedora logistics
list.

Perhaps working together with them would be good before designing and
building a new site for this? Or if it's not going to be done in time,
we could look at a stop gap domain, etc.

2. Does the Board like this idea of a fedoraproject or url with
'fedora' in it for this need that is hosted externally? I'd prefer to
get a Board sign off before infrastructure redirects/sets up any domain
like this going to an external site.

3. If we do want an externally hosted site for now, I think ideally Red
Hat / Fedoraproject should own the domain and at least manage dns. In
this case we could redirect it to a new events system if that became
available or remove it if something else happened, etc.

Just some quick thoughts.

Personally, I really like the idea of making our events look nicer and
make it easier for people to sign up for them.

kevin

Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Marķa Leandro

1. There is a google summer of code project to

"Create a fedora events system to manage the events which is currently

being done over the wiki right now"

Perhaps working together with them would be good before designing and

building a new site for this? Or if it's not going to be done in time,

we could look at a stop gap domain, etc.

we are on that.

Problem is that EMEA guys need a website to present to possible sponsorts NOW and afaik hiemanshu and nushio will end up this in august (we have talk to make a transparent migration after they end, so people won't see the change, just like if more things where addet to the website)

*

3. If we do want an externally hosted site for now, I think ideally Red

Hat / Fedoraproject should own the domain and at least manage dns. In

this case we could redirect it to a new events system if that became

available or remove it if something else happened, etc.

for emea guys, and after considering a lot, we need a stable and proper domain that can be easily found. So we need to make a decition soon (not like in 1 hours.. we have time) so when we release the site, people can grab a unique and easy link and use it for marketing.

*
--
tatica

Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 PM

> Before we setup anything....
>
> 1. There is a google summer of code project to
>
> "Create a fedora events system to manage the events which is currently
> being done over the wiki right now"
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2011/hiemanshu/22001
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_coding_ideas_for_2011#Create_a_Fedora_Event s_System
>
> http://nushio.fedorapeople.org/fes/roadmap.html
>
> This work I think has been moving forward with the fedora insight
> system (a drupal instance) and coordinated on the fedora logistics
> list.
>
> Perhaps working together with them would be good before designing and
> building a new site for this? Or if it's not going to be done in time,
> we could look at a stop gap domain, etc.

<snip>

I stongly agree with you. At FAmSCo we were saying same thing, we have to
coordinate wit this effort.

In this case, what I see is that event "thing" is kind of a news-stand
where public can find up-coming events. Some of those events will be
fudcons. Fudcon are big event with a lot of details that will requiere a
place to show all that nice stuff. Probably the calendar will not be a
good place for all the details. But sure it will be good starting point to
direct people to read further.

So, again, linking both ideas makes a lot of sense.

Neville

Old 06-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 14:12:37 -0430
Marķa Leandro <tatica@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> 2011/6/15 Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com>

...snip...

> > Perhaps working together with them would be good before designing
> > and building a new site for this? Or if it's not going to be done
> > in time, we could look at a stop gap domain, etc.
> >

> we are on that.

Excellent. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't duplication of
effort. Glad to hear you are already aware of that.

> Problem is that EMEA guys need a website to present to possible
> sponsorts NOW and afaik hiemanshu and nushio will end up this in
> august (we have talk to make a transparent migration after they end,
> so people won't see the change, just like if more things where addet
> to the website)

Sounds good.

> > 3. If we do want an externally hosted site for now, I think ideally
> > Red Hat / Fedoraproject should own the domain and at least manage
> > dns. In this case we could redirect it to a new events system if
> > that became available or remove it if something else happened, etc.
> >
> for emea guys, and after considering a lot, we need a stable and
> proper domain that can be easily found. So we need to make a decition
> soon (not like in 1 hours.. we have time) so when we release the
> site, people can grab a unique and easy link and use it for marketing.

Yeah. So, I guess the next step would be for EMEA / The Board to
determine what domain and how we want to handle it, and get it in
process.

Thanks,

kevin

Old 06-21-2011, 05:10 PM
David Nalley

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:48 AM, Francesco Crippa <fcrippa@byte-code.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working for the planning of next FUDCon EMEA in Milan, and one
> thing we want to do is to have a dedicated website for the event (wiki
> is not the best 'user experience' to promote an event...)
>
> It's nothing special, just 3 html static pages with information like
> "when", "where", etc...
>
> We have sponsors to cover hosting costs or we can use some fedora
> servers for that (static html is easy to be hosted).
>
> The problem is that we want to use a 'professional' domain to access
> the website.. something like:
> * *fudcon.fedoraproject.org
>
> Using external domains or 'free' services (fudcon.wordpress.com,
> etc...) is not very professional, and we need as soon as possible a
> domain for the press coverage (it's going to be very urgent in a
> couple of weeks)
>
> Is it possible to create this subdomain and point it to a static
> Amazon S3 website? I discussed the option with the artwork and
> infrastructure team, and apparently this is the right mailing list to
> have an "authorization" to proceed in that way
>

> Let me know what do you think
> Take care
>
> Francesco

This was discussed at the Board IRC meeting today. There's no
objection to you proceeding with this, and we'd like to see you work
with websites/infra to get this accomplished. In the meeting there
seemed to be a preference for a fedoraproject.org subdomain, and we
assume that infra/websites can easily make this happen. Of course the
wiki pages will remain for the planning infrastructure, but I assume
that is implicit. You may want to look at the full log to see the
discussion.[0]

Thanks for your patience with us in getting to this,

David Nalley

[0] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-board-meeting/2011-06-21/fedora_board.2011-06-21-16.01.log.html

Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:10:10 -0400
David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> This was discussed at the Board IRC meeting today. There's no
> objection to you proceeding with this, and we'd like to see you work
> with websites/infra to get this accomplished. In the meeting there
> seemed to be a preference for a fedoraproject.org subdomain, and we
> assume that infra/websites can easily make this happen. Of course the
> wiki pages will remain for the planning infrastructure, but I assume
> that is implicit. You may want to look at the full log to see the
> discussion.[0]
>
> Thanks for your patience with us in getting to this,

I've started the process of figuring out logistics here in the ticket:

Please follow along there if you are interested in implementation
details.

kevin

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM
Francesco Crippa

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 18:29, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@scrye.com> wrote:
> I've started the process of figuring out logistics here in the ticket:
>
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/2838
>
> Please follow along there if you are interested in implementation
> details.

:-)

I am interested and available if you need help/details/whatever!

Thanks everyone for the support!

Francesco

Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail

just mentioning another alternative for a system.

FUDCon KL (http://fedora.my/events/fudconkl2012) uses an addon on
Plone which I develop myself ..
https://github.com/inigoconsulting/collective.conference ..

Its a bit basic right now, and only enough to run FUDCon KL and not as
mature as the drupal systems ... though more features will come as
theres some NGO interested to fund it ..

currently what it can do :

- anonymous registration + session submission
- organize sessions using arshaw's jquery fullcalendar
- session, participant, and agenda listing
- simple session approval
- multiple events per site
- utilize plone's built in document management features

This system is also going to be used by the malaysian team for our
future barcamp style FADs ..

Perhaps fp.o might be interested to use it to.. but of course, the
community should decide on this .. as I understand that Plone is not
exactly familiar to many people.

http://www.inigo-tech.com
http://blog.kagesenshi.org
92C2 B295 B40B B3DC 6866* 5011 5BD2 584A 8A5D 7331