Old 06-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Matt Clark

Default Introducing SILO to the Fedora Board

Hello folks,

I have been authorized to speak on behalf of Slackhappy International Linux Organization (SILO) to explain a little about what we do and why we're here. *I was bouncing around the various fedora-related channels and it's been suggested to me that this would be the best place to get a constructive discussion going about some plans SILO has in the works.

We do have a website, www.slackhappy.org, but more directly, SILO is an organization dedicated to improving the state of support in the various FOSS communities with a focus on administrative behavior. *We believe that the profile for the general linux user has changed over the last few years and that so must the tools used to provide support to them.

In short, what we're creating is a common 3rd party to act as a mediator between the user and operators in IRC support channels, forum administrators, and any other medium that users receive linux or FOSS support.

We do this for free.

The ultimate goal is to give users a place to go to when they feel that an operator is abusive and that no one is addressing the issue. *I think we've all caught an operator on a bad day (or caught a bad operator on a good day) and there's nothing more frustrating or degrading to a project's image than the kinds of things that happen in those situations. *I see it as a 'win-win' for everyone that it's addressed.

Since it was decided to take on this task, the most difficult part has been finding out what we as an organization need to do to be able to work closely with operators and users in a community so that we can do what we set out to do. *In order for this to work we would need policies that are universally easy for operators in those channels to work with, and for users to remedy situations where they feel like they've been treated unfairly. *While we're user-oriented, it's also important to work with the administrators of the projects we try to help if we would expect any cooperative efforts.

Currently, we're paying alot of attention to #fedora on the freenode network where some ongoing problems seem to need addressed. *I think this is the perfect opportunity to start figuring out how SILO will work. *What kind of policies or arrangements would we need to have banned users in fedora irc channels be referred to our channel, and what kind of policies or arrangements would we need to have to get operators in freenode projects to work with our staff to mediate problems?

I'm aware that there is an IRC sig, and I was referred here by several when this was discussed. *I have quite a few ideas about implementation of all of this but I didn't want to flood our introduction with information.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to working with/for you,
Matt ClarkSlackhappy International Linux Organizationwww.slackhappy.org

Old 06-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 06:08:37 -0400,
Matt Clark <mathezula@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm aware that there is an IRC sig, and I was referred here by several when
> this was discussed. I have quite a few ideas about implementation of all of
> this but I didn't want to flood our introduction with information.

This is a good place to discuss this.

There is a community working group and this may be a good task for those
people to work with you on. I suspect most of them read this list, so at
least to get things started talking about stuff here should work.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Kevin Fenzi

Hey Matt.

First let me wish you luck with your group. More good support resources
are always a good thing.

That said, I'm not sure any kind of official relationship would be of
benefit. Another layer of mediation that is outside the project seems to
be like it would just be adding in another layer and complicating
things. Perhaps we could work to improve the processes in place already
in the irc-support-sig instead of trying to integrate a possible non
neutral third party into the process.

I look forward to hearing your (and anyone elses) ideas.

(The irc-support-sig meets on thrsdays at 17UTC in #fedora-meeting).

kevin

Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Dave Riches

[...]

Am I correct in thinking you want the Fedora Project to publicly
endorse SILO, or just the channel operators?

We do this for free.

When did this change? The other day on #fedora-ops you asked for us
to solicit your organisation which received donations. When I asked
where my donation would get spent, it turned out if you received
enough it would be paid to the "reps"

The ultimate goal is to give users a place to go to when they
feel that an operator is abusive and that no one is addressing
the issue. *I think we've all caught an operator on a bad day
(or caught a bad operator on a good day) and there's nothing
more frustrating or degrading to a project's image than the
kinds of things that happen in those situations. *I see it as a
'win-win' for everyone that it's addressed.

Not really, I see this as an unqualified "mediation" service which
addresses a non-issue. During my contribution to the project as an
operator on #fedora, I am yet to see an issue (including your own)
that was not resolved by the irc-support-sig...If it ain't broke,
don't fix it?

Since it was decided to take on this task, the most difficult
part has been finding out what we as an organization need to do
to be able to work closely with operators and users in a
community so that we can do what we set out to do.

So far, you actually managed to alienate a large proportion of
#fedora channel operators by threatening them publicly and giving
unsubstantiated report statistics for bad practise despite numerous
requests to provide the information so we can act on it. I'm not
sure how effective a mediation service that doesn't share its
complains/logs would be in the real world as resolving issues.

*In order for this to work we would need policies that are
universally easy for operators in those channels to work with,
and for users to remedy situations where they feel like they've
been treated unfairly.

the irc-support-sig works hard to put policies and
standard-operating-procedures in place, and publicly available.
Perhaps you could take a look at https://fedorahosted.org/irc-support-sig/

*While we're user-oriented, it's also important to work with
the administrators of the projects we try to help if we would
expect any cooperative efforts.

Currently, we're paying alot of attention to #fedora on the
freenode network

possibly a side issue, but you have also obtained ##fedora for your
own purposes?

where some ongoing problems seem to need addressed.

I don't see any ongoing, un-addressed issues, perhaps you could
point me to them/provide reports/logs?

*I think this is the perfect opportunity to start figuring
out how SILO will work.

I'm personally not interested in anyone else's business
opportunities apart from my own, Fedora for me is about freedom, and
I love contributing to fedora in as many ways as I can..I for one
won't contribute to someone else's seemingly commercial project.

*What kind of policies or arrangements would we need to have
banned users in fedora irc channels be referred to our channel,
and what kind of policies or arrangements would we need to have
to get operators in freenode projects to work with our staff to
mediate problems?

Again, I think this is a non-issue, as we already have a solution
that works...when a user has an issue that cannot be addressed by
the support sig, CWG or board..I would perhaps then consider your
proposals

I'm aware that there is an IRC sig, and I was referred here
by several when this was discussed. *I have quite a few ideas
about implementation of all of this but I didn't want to flood
our introduction with information.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to working with/for
you,

No worries!, and although you won't be working with me personally, I
wish you all the best with your venture :-)

Old 06-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Matt Clark

Dave,

Thanks for the questions/comments.
Ideally, as I did say, it would be desirable to have some kind of relationship with the Fedora Project but we do need to remain a 3rd party as we would also like to provide community support and mediation services for several other projects.

Regarding your....comments....about donations, while SILO is for all practical purposes a NPO it will be receiving donations, and I don't see any problem with that. *Neither I nor anyone on behalf of SILO asked you or anyone else for donations though, and we never will. *That just never happened. *We certainly will be set up to receive donations finally within the next week or so though and any money donated will only be spent on SILO activities. *I think that's a non-issue unless there's some factor I'm just not aware of. *If there are real issues with the fact that we receive donations I'm certainly open to hearing them-- I'm always looking to make this effort better.

About 'threats', I certainly did announce that I would expose, without demands, the actions of an operator that consistently abuses users in some of the fedora-related projects' support channels and various administrative channels after being bullied across several channels during the course of my networking attempts for SILO. *I'm familiar with the interaction you're talking about and I can assure you that I was flamed pretty hard before that little explosion, though I did over-react when I realized that it was being overlooked by several other appointed operators. *It's no excuse, but, I take bullying very seriously, and I care deeply about what members of the fedora community do when representing it. *I also believe that the operators who allow that person's behavior have just as much a role in the bullying as the person engaging in it. *I do think that muddles the issue though, and if you'd like more background information I'd be happy to clue you in on more details where appropriate ( admin@slackhappy.org ). *I will say, though, that a common tactic in mitigation is to antagonize an accuser until they react as this provides ammunition for deflection.

You touched on an interesting point, though: *If an abusive "operator" (technicality in this case) can publicly wonton users for literally years then won't the IRC-sig, who has existed all this time and watched it happen, be of a mindset that is not receptive to dealing with that behavior? *How can they not know? *I don't know the answer to that, to be honest, but, I will address those concerns with the CWG as an aside from seeing what kind of relationship can be established between SILO and the IRC sig for a more long term solution. *What I mean there is that mediation should be done by a neutral 3rd party to avoid just that kind of contamination of values. *It creates an environment where automatically the user is relaying their complaint to someone whose sole purpose is to deal with their type of issue and won't feel an inherent need to defend their fellow operators or staff. *On the flipside, operators would then be dealing with a mediator who is level-headed and calm (too often after a heated scuffle of words, neither party is calm or level headed, this removes that from the mix).

About the registration of ##fedora on Freenode, no, that's not the case-- it's not registered to SILO, but the channel owner there has invited SILO to participate and for the time being it would be a great place to forward users that otherwise would be banned. *My preference would be that they are referred to #slackhappy, but, I can certainly see why the Fedora project would want their IRC channel to forward to a channel appropriately titled. *We could certainly see if it would be possible to acquire it later in the context of your question.

I'm sure that no one associated with any fedora support mediums would want users they ban to just not get help. *There are always alternative resources, but not usually on the same network in the same medium to much of a degree of reliability. *We're all in the business of helping people, that's why these operating systems exist in the first place.

This is the second time since we've discussed this that you've assumed this is a commercial interest. *It is not. *I hope that I've cleared that up for you.
You have said that you have a solution that works. *I don't believe that's accurate and that's why I'm here, typing this email. *The SIG ticket system is managed by the same people engaging in the user abuse, and there are zero policies in place that I'm aware of that describe penalties to operators who engage in that abuse. *Those are both problems that need addressed, and I'd like your input on how best SILO can help with that in a way that benefits the users as well as the operators.

I like that there are works in progress, I like that there's a bit of oversight for the management of the IRC channels too as that's a one-up in the bigger game of providing support to the users, but these need to be offered by separate entities to really be neutral, don't they? *There's an inherent conflict of interest (one that I've personally seen manifested in several fedora channels) when a person resolving a dispute is part of the same entity as one of the people involved in it. *I don't know if I can be much clearer about why that's necessary.

We could argue line-by-line about context behind log entries and deeper philosophies behind acting belligerently towards users all day, and even about whether or not operator abuse is a big issue in #fedora or not, but anyone who's been on IRC knows that it's often a rough place to get tech support. *It is. *That's universal. *That said, we could go the extra mile and be a little better than we're expected to be, just because we can be. *We're already on that road. *

I'm in it for the users and I'd like to invite you to help me, Dave. *I actually like to hear concerns about SILO while I'm fleshing out how we're going to behave as an organization as it lets me correct mistakes, or oversights that I didn't see before. *We're going to try to do this, and we'll keep trying until we've got it right in a way that works for you, this board, and the Fedora or SILO users. *I hope you keep trying, too.

Whew, that was alot to cover in one post, Dave *Did you have any other concerns? *I'd like to get all of them out now so that I can get it all panned out. *I just want you clear on the fact that SILO will be accomodating the Fedora administrative needs with the users' needs as its focus.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Matt Clark

Kevin,

Thanks for the luck. *We'll definitely need it, I don't see any of what I'm talking about to be easy.
On officiality, I also think an official relationship (I'm not sure what that means, but I took it as 'affiliation') with the Fedora project would be wise either given that we need to remain neutral if the intended service provided is mediation. *If we're under obligation to Fedora it will do exactly what you suggested: *It would be adding another layer and complicating things.

However, a friendly joint effort wouldn't. *Basically we just need to figure out how we can administrate our respective corners of the internet in a way that creates a little stable harmony with each other. *We'd like to see some penalty policies for operators and admins, etc, be able to provide support to users that otherwise wouldn't be getting that support from #fedora (we're trying it out with just IRC right now), and a good way to collect reports of abuse and to provide those reports meaningfully to you guys through effective channels.

From my perspective I think very few changes in programs or policies would be needed to make that happen, this would probably be mostly an unofficial loose agreement and seeing where it goes.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Dave Riches

[...]

IANAL, but I'm personally not comfortable referring disgruntled
users to a service which (fwics) is non-profit because...well, its
not making any yet. Its seems obvious to me that once the donation
level reached a point at which hosting was covered, it would cease
to be a NPO. I really can't see anyone else making such a referal. I
can't voice any "real issues" over the donations, because in doing
so, I would be trying to find a way for SILO to "fit", and I
can't/won't

About 'threats', I certainly did announce that I would
expose, without demands, the actions of an operator that
consistently abuses users in some of the fedora-related
projects' support channels

Actually you are incorrect, the user you are talking about is not
(and as far as I know has never been) an operator on a fedora
support channel.

and various administrative channels after being bullied
across several channels during the course of my networking
attempts for SILO. *I'm familiar with the interaction you're
talking about and I can assure you that I was flamed pretty hard
before that little explosion,

Are mediators supposed to be exploding?

though I did over-react when I realized that it was being
overlooked by several other appointed operators.

Incorrect, I was present and certainly did not overlook the
situation.

*It's no excuse, but, I take bullying very seriously, and I
care deeply about what members of the fedora community do when representing
it. *I also believe that the operators who allow that person's
behavior have just as much a role in the bullying as the person
engaging in it.

The user in question was asking for evidence of an accusation you
made...to be honest, If you accused me of bad practise - I'd want to
see logs. You ignored these requests which inflamed the scenario.
"You did X, I have logs, but I'm not prepared to show them or
discuss it". You also claimed that silo had received 6 complains
about this user. Interestingly enough, I have no knowledge of SILO
"mediating" any of these 6 complaints, and you failed to provide any
evidence/details/logs of them. If this accusation was targeted at
myself, I know I would get *very* annoyed, *very* quickly if you
didn't provide me with details. From this perspective, I actually
think you inflamed the situation further than it needed to be.

You can also be very sure, that operators generally are not afraid
to challenge someone's behaviour, so if you are in a channel of 20
of them, I very much doubt that one user will be allowed to bully.

*I do think that muddles the issue though, and if you'd like
more background information I'd be happy to clue you in on more
details where appropriate ( admin@slackhappy.org ).
*I will say, though, that a common tactic in mitigation is to
antagonize an accuser until they react as this provides
ammunition for deflection.

Agreed, I think you successfully did antagonize the user with the
specific role of clouding the issue and potentially muddying his
efforts within the project. Although the context of the statement
above is to imply that the user in question was antagonizing you, I
find it ironic that (IMHO) the opposite happened.

You touched on an interesting point, though: *If an abusive
"operator" (technicality in this case) can publicly wonton users
for literally years then won't the IRC-sig, who has existed all
this time and watched it happen, be of a mindset that is not
receptive to dealing with that behavior?

No, and again - you are being specific about one user, who is *not*
an operator of a support channel.

*How can they not know? *I don't know the answer to that, to
be honest, but, I will address those concerns with the CWG as an
aside from seeing what kind of relationship can be established
between SILO and the IRC sig for a more long term solution.
*What I mean there is that mediation should be done by a neutral
3rd party to avoid just that kind of contamination of
values.

I have not witnessed any such contamination. In fact, when you
personally filed a complaint ticket I dealt with it as a third
party. After the discussion, you were happy with the result and
closed the ticket yourself...does this not demonstrate that we keep
our own house in order?

*It creates an environment where automatically the user is
relaying their complaint to someone whose sole purpose is to
deal with their type of issue and won't feel an inherent need to
defend their fellow operators or staff. *On the flipside,
operators would then be dealing with a mediator who is
level-headed and calm (too often after a heated scuffle of
words, neither party is calm or level headed, this removes that
from the mix).

Agreed....we don't need SILO for this

About the registration of ##fedora on Freenode, no, that's
not the case-- it's not registered to SILO, but the channel
owner there has invited SILO to participate and for the time
being it would be a great place to forward users that otherwise
would be banned. *My preference would be that they are referred
to #slackhappy, but, I can certainly see why the Fedora project
would want their IRC channel to forward to a channel
appropriately titled. *We could certainly see if it would be
possible to acquire it later in the context of your question.

Hrm, I'm not sure <excerpt from slackhappy.org> "#slackhappy on irc.freenode.org is back
online. *we’re currently recruiting for operators. ##fedora on
irc.freenode.org has been donated for use by SILO."

I'm sure that no one associated with any fedora support
mediums would want users they ban to just not get help. *There
are always alternative resources, but not usually on the same
network in the same medium to much of a degree of reliability.
*We're all in the business of helping people, that's why these
operating systems exist in the first place.

Correct, we recently introduced a "quiet" plugin to the bot on
#fedora, whereby if a user is being particularly painful, we can set
mode +q but keep them in the channel so they can benefit from the
support being given.

This is the second time since we've discussed this that
you've assumed this is a commercial interest. *It is not. *I
hope that I've cleared that up for you.

No, you haven't...but I don't think its worth discussing it further.

You have said that you have a solution that works. *I don't
believe that's accurate and that's why I'm here, typing this
email. *The SIG ticket system is managed by the same people
engaging in the user abuse, and there are zero policies in place
that I'm aware of that describe penalties to operators who
engage in that abuse. *Those are both problems that need
addressed, and I'd like your input on how best SILO can help
with that in a way that benefits the users as well as the
operators.

Can you actually provide evidence of operator abuse? Ops are
carefully selected and get trial periods.

I like that there are works in progress, I like that there's
a bit of oversight for the management of the IRC channels too as
that's a one-up in the bigger game of providing support to the
users, but these need to be offered by separate entities to
really be neutral, don't they?

No

*There's an inherent conflict of interest (one that I've
personally seen manifested in several fedora channels) when a
person resolving a dispute is part of the same entity as one of
the people involved in it. *I don't know if I can be much
clearer about why that's necessary.

If you can show me an example of a dispute with an operator that was
not resolved to the satisfaction of the user in question, I'll give
this more currency, until then - its a non-issue, because fwics it
hasn't happened yet.

We could argue line-by-line about context behind log entries
and deeper philosophies behind acting belligerently towards
users all day, and even about whether or not operator abuse is a
big issue in #fedora or not, but anyone who's been on IRC knows
that it's often a rough place to get tech support. *It is.
*That's universal. *That said, we could go the extra mile and be
a little better than we're expected to be, just because we can
be. *We're already on that road.*

Cool, good luck to you.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Dave Riches

[...]

You keep beating the "operator abuse" drum, but I am still at a loss
as to any evidence of unresolved operator abuse. Perhaps the context
of this discussion should be moved away from your personal
experiences and be based on *actual* evidence of operator abuse? Or
just leave it alone?

From my perspective I think very few changes in programs or
policies would be needed to make that happen, this would
probably be mostly an unofficial loose agreement and seeing
where it goes.