Old 05-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Jeff Spaleta

Default Why we DO need a legal entity, why it must have "Fedora" in it's name and why it must be granted the trademark

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert@googlemail.com> wrote:
[snipped because I don't have anything useful to add to the
financial/liability issues]
> 4. The NPO must be granted the Fedora trademark
>
> Jared, do you remember when we were sitting at Rheinfelden and
> brainstormed for cool swag like baseball caps, mugs, pins and all that?
> On the same weekend we also closed down the NPO, but we failed to see
> the consequences: All the cool swag we have been thinking of will never
> happen.
[snip financial question again for same reason]

> And even if we had an NPO to produce and sell stuff, we cannot do Fedora
> swag because this NPO would not be allowed to use the Fedora logo and
> trademark.

Would it be possible to give an entity like the NPO a trademark
license for swag for a limited timeframe for multiple category of
branded retail object purposes? With the intent of reviewing the use
of the marks on a recurring basis, and to greenlight or retire branded
material categories on the same recurring basis.

Why the review? Things change and branding ideas that look good at
some point may have problems later and I think perhaps the Board
should be able to review on a category by category basis and I like
the idea of making it recurring to reinforce the Board's mandate to
control the brand, even if people are licensed to make object using
the brand. Maybe one year Fedora branded lighters would be deemed
okay... maybe next year..maybe lighters are a bad PR or liability move
due to situations out of our control.

-jef

Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Itamar Reis Peixoto

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Igor Pires Soares
<igorsoares@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em Sáb, 2011-05-21 às 01:06 +0200, Christoph Wickert escreveu:
>> (Sorry for the longish subject, I hope I have your attention now.)
>>
>> LinuxTag is over. I had to catch up a lot because I missed 4 days of
>> work and I didn't find the time to blog about it. Nevertheless I want to
>> share what I have learned as the primary event owner.
>>
>> 1. We need credit cards

what do you think about http://payoneer.com/ ?

------------

Itamar Reis Peixoto
msn, google talk: itamar@ispbrasil.com.br
+55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
+55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
+55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
+55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Max Spevack

On Sat, 21 May 2011, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> 1. We need credit cards
>
> We need credit cards or a reliable way to get money. I know of people
> who are waiting for money for months and depending on the amount it
> can be really bad. I paid for nearly all LinuxTag expenses, more than
> 2500 EUR. In addition to that I booked the hotel for Zoltan in Vienna,
> another 310 EUR. On the other hand Max prepaid me 1000 EUR. Still this
> means I had to prepay more than 1800 EUR.
>
> Reimbursing people does not work when we are talking about these kind
> of sums. Purchase orders don't work either, they take way to long and
> are to unreliable, at least here in Germany. Thus we need credit
> cards.

As I write this email, the only thing remaining for our community credit
card initial trial in EMEA (Joerg), LATAM (Neville), and NA (John) is
their signatures on a couple of documents, and then processing by our
finance department.

For folks who don't remember earlier discussions, the purpose of these
credit cards is to allow a community member in each region to be able to
be a point of contact for whatever expenses come up that we *can* put on
credit cards, and a receipt-wrangler. Red Hat will pay the monthly
bills, which will cut down on out of pocket expenses, and will also cut
down on paypal transactions.

We'll still have to watch our overall budget and monthly limits, but
this will eliminate a huge amount of overhead.

After a 3-card trial period, we'll probably expand the program with a
couple of others, and additional global coverage.

I know that this only addresses a portion of Christoph's email, but this
has been something that is long overdue, that I deserve the blame for in
terms of it being stalled, but that I am happy to report should now be
able to proceed very quickly.

I will work with all of these community volunteers to make sure that
once they get their cards, the process of using them and reporting
receipts back goes smoothly for everyone.

--Max

Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 AM
Tom Callaway

On 05/20/2011 07:06 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I am looking forward to your suggestions how we can overcome this
> problem.

I won't go into your points specifically, but I think that with the
successful deployment of Credit Cards as Max describes, a big piece of
the puzzle will be resolved.

As to Fedora merchandise, it would be possible for Red Hat to grant a
trademark license specifically for such goods. Please note that I am not
granting this license to anyone via this email.

The sticking point remains the name of the entity who would be granted
such a license. You insist that it is necessary that the entity have the
Fedora trademark in this name, and give the reasoning that without the
Fedora name, proper credit will not be given back to Fedora for the good
works done by the entity. Unfortunately, it is a legal necessity that no
entity other than Red Hat (as the trademark holder) uses the Fedora
trademark in its name, especially in a situation where Red Hat is
providing funds to that entity.

Red Hat appreciates the wish to give it credit, but that politeness does
not overcome the legal issues preventing this from being a possibility.
There may be other ways for the group to use its money in sponsorships
and for credit to be given to Red Hat and Fedora, and I plan on having
that discussion with Red Hat Legal at the earliest opportunity.

So, to sum it up, I feel that it is possible for a group in EMEA to
accomplish what you wish to accomplish without using the Fedora
trademark in its name (or taking possession of the Fedora trademark,
which, while it may seem to be the "simplest" solution, is not something
that Red Hat is willing to do at this time.

Thank you for your patience, and continued feedback.

~tom

==
Fedora Project