Old 05-16-2011, 09:44 PM
Stephen John Smoogen

Default Live CD's and Install Media's arch inconsistent

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 14:09, Joshua Jensen <joshua@joshuajensen.org> wrote:
> I understand that Red Hat and Fedora releases have a lot of history around the
> architectural optimization in the "x86" space, complete with lots of
> heated debate.
>
> However, Fedora, with its current arch-optimizations, is starting to contradict
> itself, even in its own name(s).
>
> See http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease ... the Install Media download is
> called "i386", but the Live CD is referred to as "i686". *Surely the live CD
> isn't arch-optimized differently from the release itself? *If not, Fedora needs
> to be consistent.
>
> The arch-specific packages in the 32bit release all seem to end in "i686.rpm",
> so I'm guessing that the answer is that "i686" is correct. *However, it may be
> more of an issue of intention or support. *If the packages are intended for and
> supported on a true i386 machine, then the Live CD references and ISO filenames
> need to be renamed with "i386". *If they aren't, and are intended only for a
> i686 processor or greater, then the Install Media references and ISO filenames
> need to be renamed with "i686". *It's either one or the other, not both!
>
> Fedora needs to be consistent. *I would like to propose that starting
> with Fedora 16 development process that both the install and live
> media have the same arch name.

My take on this is that "This is a FESCO issue and not the Advisory
Board". There are technical reasons why they are called i686 and i386
and FESCO are the people who can best answer and define them in a
clearer way.

> Thoughts?
>

> --
> Joshua Jensen
> joshua aatttt joshuajensen ddooottt org

Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren

Old 05-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Mon, 16 May 2011 16:09:34 -0400
Joshua Jensen <joshua@joshuajensen.org> wrote:

> I understand that Red Hat and Fedora releases have a lot of history
> around the architectural optimization in the "x86" space, complete
> with lots of heated debate.
>
> However, Fedora, with its current arch-optimizations, is starting to
> contradict itself, even in its own name(s).

It's not (intentionally) doing that.

> See http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease ... the Install Media
> download is called "i386", but the Live CD is referred to as "i686".
> Surely the live CD isn't arch-optimized differently from the release
> itself? If not, Fedora needs to be consistent.
>
> The arch-specific packages in the 32bit release all seem to end in
> "i686.rpm", so I'm guessing that the answer is that "i686" is
> correct. However, it may be more of an issue of intention or
> support. If the packages are intended for and supported on a true
> i386 machine, then the Live CD references and ISO filenames need to
> be renamed with "i386". If they aren't, and are intended only for a
> i686 processor or greater, then the Install Media references and ISO
> filenames need to be renamed with "i686". It's either one or the
> other, not both!
>
> Fedora needs to be consistent. I would like to propose that starting
> with Fedora 16 development process that both the install and live
> media have the same arch name.
>

> Thoughts?

I agree it's confusing.

When I pointed this out a while back, it was suggested we just change
everything to i386 to mean "32bit cpus we support", but thats confusing
too. Perhaps we change the i386 places to '32bit' and the rpms leave as
i686. Not sure what the best answer is, as those terms are overloaded
and confusing.

I'd suggest opening up a fesco ticket on this and/or re-posting on the
devel list as this it's so much a Board issue.

kevin

Old 05-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Dennis Gilmore

On Monday, May 16, 2011 03:09:34 PM Joshua Jensen wrote:
> I understand that Red Hat and Fedora releases have a lot of history around
> the architectural optimization in the "x86" space, complete with lots of
> heated debate.
>
> However, Fedora, with its current arch-optimizations, is starting to
> contradict itself, even in its own name(s).
>
> See http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease ... the Install Media download
> is called "i386", but the Live CD is referred to as "i686". Surely the
> live CD isn't arch-optimized differently from the release itself? If not,
> Fedora needs to be consistent.

the livecd's indicate the minimum target cpu, matching the kernel rpm. while
the install dvds have the yum basearch in the name. it is the same reason that
the yum repos have i386 in them.
we could have some rpms optimised for athlon atom or some other variant of the
cpu. if we dont use the basearch we would have to resort to some kind of hacks
to make them available to users, we would also need to modify quite a few
different peices that rely on the basearch being i386

Dennis