Old 02-12-2008, 02:52 AM
"Yaakov Nemoy"

Default codec buddy, fluendo, etc.

On Feb 11, 2008 10:45 PM, Luis Villa <luis@tieguy.org> wrote:

> > > I'm trying to think of a case where one can create open data, but only
> > > with proprietary tools, and failing- I must be missing something
> > > obvious, though.
> >
> > You mean writing open source code using an OSI approved license
> > written by Microsoft, to work on Microsoft created platform that might
> > also run on Linux one day once the evil penguin devil hath been
> > vanquished, using development tools that are as closed as an ex
> > girlfriend's bedroom, to participate in a "Open Source Ecology" that
> > Microsoft is trying desperately to latch on to in a manner more
> > contradictory than a Scientology Text Book?
>
> I'm not really concerned with anything Windows specific, since
> anything so tied to Windows is never going to be proposed for
> inclusion in Fedora.

You never know. I'm imagining that if such a thing were to happen,
there would be alot of interesting .NET and Mono code coming out that
will probably get some level of Multiplatform love. I hope I was
sarcastic enough about the death of the penguin devil.

-Yaakov

Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 AM
"Luis Villa"

On Feb 11, 2008 10:52 PM, Yaakov Nemoy <loupgaroublond@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008 10:45 PM, Luis Villa <luis@tieguy.org> wrote:

> > > You mean writing open source code using an OSI approved license
> > > written by Microsoft, to work on Microsoft created platform that might
> > > also run on Linux one day once the evil penguin devil hath been
> > > vanquished, using development tools that are as closed as an ex
> > > girlfriend's bedroom, to participate in a "Open Source Ecology" that
> > > Microsoft is trying desperately to latch on to in a manner more
> > > contradictory than a Scientology Text Book?
> >
> > I'm not really concerned with anything Windows specific, since
> > anything so tied to Windows is never going to be proposed for
> > inclusion in Fedora.
>
> You never know. I'm imagining that if such a thing were to happen,
> there would be alot of interesting .NET and Mono code coming out that
> will probably get some level of Multiplatform love.

Sure, but I can't see that happening unless the tools to generate it
are open- which again makes Jeff's original sentence redundant.

Luis