Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
seth vidal

Default codec buddy, fluendo, etc.

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 15:20 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 14:30 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> > > Wait... what? Explain this, because I don't see how transparent
> > > discussions about user experience equal "collusion".
> >
> > do we invite gnome developers to discussion about gnome in the distro?
> > Not generally.
>
> I beg your pardon ? I would ask you to reconsider that position. You may
> be a member of the board, but you are not the ruler who takes decisions
> above the heads of the affected people.

okay, I'm deeply confused here. This is the second time today that
someone has taken an email from me as a declaration from on high.

Is there a tagline being appended to my emails that says "and yes, I
speak for everyone and everything in all cases, no matter what?"

Is there some reason why people think I'm speaking for anyone other than
myself?

Does my email address says "seth vidal fedora board member - all my
pronouncements are equivalent to edicts from the FPL"?

No, it doesn't.

the only person I represent is me.

-sv

Old 02-08-2008, 07:24 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Feb 8, 2008 11:20 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> I beg your pardon ? I would ask you to reconsider that position. You may
> be a member of the board, but you are not the ruler who takes decisions
> above the heads of the affected people.

I think seth's last post cleared up the miscommunication. He thought
this was an email to the private board-list. So in that context his
comment makes perfect sense. He doesn't want a private discussion, or
even a private discussion about having an open discussion. I'm in
agreement with that.

-jef

Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Bill Nottingham

Toshio Kuratomi (a.badger@gmail.com) said:
>> 2. What improvements would we like to see in Codec Buddy and/or codeina?
>
> My number one gripe is that there's no help for people who can get codecs
> where they are not patented. As a minimal step, mentioning that the
> patents don't exist everywhere and that free software implementations do
> exist would make me feel better. However, that is only going to be helpful
> to more advanced users who will read that and know that they can turn to
> google for help. We need to come up with questions for the lawyers that
> determine just how far we can push the envelope. (Can we add the wording I
> mention? Can we point people to a specific google search?)

Spot has been through this a few times, as far as I recall. I believe
the wording is that we are allowed to mention sites that host software
that 'for whatever reasons' Fedora cannot include. We can not go into
specifics as to what that software is, how that relates to why we can't
include it, etc., which makes linking to it directly from any CodecBuddy
notifications pretty much impossible; that's why we don't have any such
links on the wiki right now.

As a tangential point - codec buddy falls into a different concept of code
vs. content. Autodownloader data is free (beer) restricted, content for use
with free (speech) code. The fluendo plugins are restricted (free (beer) in
the MP3 case) code for use with potentially free (beer, speech) content.

Bill

Old 02-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Matthias Clasen

> On Feb 8, 2008 11:20 AM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen@redhat.com> wrote:
> > I beg your pardon ? I would ask you to reconsider that position. You may
> > be a member of the board, but you are not the ruler who takes decisions
> > above the heads of the affected people.
>

> I think seth's last post cleared up the miscommunication. He thought
> this was an email to the private board-list. So in that context his
> comment makes perfect sense. He doesn't want a private discussion, or
> even a private discussion about having an open discussion. I'm in
> agreement with that.

Yes, I noticed.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Max Spevack

do we invite gnome developers to discussion about gnome in the
distro? Not generally.

I beg your pardon ? I would ask you to reconsider that position. You
may be a member of the board, but you are not the ruler who takes
decisions above the heads of the affected people.

I think we should let this particular sub-thread just die off.

The very fact that this thread was started on fedora-advisory-board
demonstrates that we want the discussion to be open to anyone who wants
to participate in it.

--Max