-   -   Spins, where are they? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/49960-spins-where-they.html)

Mike McGrath 02-07-2008 10:41 PM

Spins, where are they?

We still only have 3 respins*. Whats the hangup? Has no one applied for
more spins or is this just not as popular as we'd thought.

-Mike

* FEL, Games, Developer

"Jeff Spaleta" 02-07-2008 11:52 PM

Spins, where are they?

On Feb 7, 2008 2:41 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> We still only have 3 respins*. Whats the hangup? Has no one applied for
> more spins or is this just not as popular as we'd thought.
>
> -Mike
>
> * FEL, Games, Developer

Rahul just got approval for a huge number of localized spins.. not too
long ago.

XFCE spin has its technical issues fixed even more recently.

When will and if release-eng will produce isos from the blessed ks
files.. I can't tell you.

Looking beyond that....
And someone was working on a edu spin.. see devel-list archive for a ks file.
Astronomy SIG I believe is working on getting software in the repo so
they can do spin.

-jef

Mike McGrath 02-08-2008 12:14 AM

Spins, where are they?

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008 2:41 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> > We still only have 3 respins*. Whats the hangup? Has no one applied for
> > more spins or is this just not as popular as we'd thought.
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > * FEL, Games, Developer
>
> Rahul just got approval for a huge number of localized spins.. not too
> long ago.
>
> XFCE spin has its technical issues fixed even more recently.
>
> When will and if release-eng will produce isos from the blessed ks
> files.. I can't tell you.
>
> Looking beyond that....
> And someone was working on a edu spin.. see devel-list archive for a ks file.
> Astronomy SIG I believe is working on getting software in the repo xso
> they can do spin.

K, so its just a case of "they're on the way" :) I look forward to it.

-Mike

"Jeff Spaleta" 02-08-2008 12:20 AM

Spins, where are they?

On Feb 7, 2008 4:14 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> K, so its just a case of "they're on the way" :) I look forward to it.

My question for you is... where does infrastructure stand in terms of
hosting resources for spins. If you had a request for 50 more isos to
host... could we do it?

-jef

Mike McGrath 02-08-2008 12:27 AM

Spins, where are they?

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Feb 7, 2008 4:14 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> > K, so its just a case of "they're on the way" :) I look forward to it.
>
> My question for you is... where does infrastructure stand in terms of
> hosting resources for spins. If you had a request for 50 more isos to
> host... could we do it?

We've got just a bit more then 400G donated in November from one of our
sponsors, ServerBeach in preparation for hosting new spins and torrents.

-Mike

Rahul Sundaram 02-08-2008 07:51 AM

Spins, where are they?

Mike McGrath wrote:

K, so its just a case of "they're on the way" :) I look forward to it.

My question for you is... where does infrastructure stand in terms of
hosting resources for spins. If you had a request for 50 more isos to
host... could we do it?

We've got just a bit more then 400G donated in November from one of our
sponsors, ServerBeach in preparation for hosting new spins and torrents.

So if you are willing to host them, I have a dozen localized spins and
the XFCE spin all approved and waiting for the next step.

http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/spins/

Rahul

Rahul Sundaram 02-08-2008 07:55 AM

Spins, where are they?

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

Looking beyond that....
And someone was working on a edu spin.. see devel-list archive for a ks file.
Astronomy SIG I believe is working on getting software in the repo so
they can do spin.

There is also Fedora Lite, Security Spin and Fedora Art Studio

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ChristophWickert/FedoraLite
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LukeMacken/SecurityLiveCD
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/ArtTeamProjects/FedoraArtStudio

Some of them are waiting on software to be packaged first so might take
some time.

Rahul

Thorsten Leemhuis 02-08-2008 08:03 AM

Spins, where are they?

On 08.02.2008 09:55, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> Looking beyond that....
>> And someone was working on a edu spin.. see devel-list archive for a ks file.
>> Astronomy SIG I believe is working on getting software in the repo so
>> they can do spin.
> There is also Fedora Lite, Security Spin and Fedora Art Studio
> [...]

And also a Fedora Education Spin:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SebastianDziallas/Education
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-February/msg00410.html

Sebastian (a relative new contributer) afaics could need some
help/guidance how to go forward with it. He tried to find help on
fedora-devel, but besides some discussion ("add this and that" -> "no
more space on CD" and "integrate LTSP" -> "no more space on CD" or "make
a DVD" -> "no, make a CD" | "make both a CD and a DVD" ) not much happened.

CU
knurd

Rahul Sundaram 02-08-2008 08:20 AM

Spins, where are they?

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

And someone was working on a edu spin.. see devel-list archive for a ks file.
Astronomy SIG I believe is working on getting software in the repo so
they can do spin.

There is also Fedora Lite, Security Spin and Fedora Art Studio
[...]

And also a Fedora Education Spin:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SebastianDziallas/Education
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-February/msg00410.html

I didn't add that since Jeff already mentioned it in the mail I replied to.

Sebastian (a relative new contributer) afaics could need some
help/guidance how to go forward with it. He tried to find help on
fedora-devel, but besides some discussion ("add this and that" -> "no
more space on CD" and "integrate LTSP" -> "no more space on CD" or "make
a DVD" -> "no, make a CD" | "make both a CD and a DVD" ) not much happened.

I see the wiki page being updated regularly and answered with a
suggestion when asked for help. Not sure what you were expecting to happen.

Rahul

Thorsten Leemhuis 02-08-2008 11:45 AM

Spins, where are they?

On 08.02.2008 10:20, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> Sebastian (a relative new contributer) afaics could need some
>> help/guidance how to go forward with it. He tried to find help on
>> fedora-devel, but besides some discussion ("add this and that" -> "no
>> more space on CD" and "integrate LTSP" -> "no more space on CD" or "make
>> a DVD" -> "no, make a CD" | "make both a CD and a DVD" ) not much happened.
> I see the wiki page being updated regularly and answered with a
> suggestion when asked for help. Not sure what you were expecting to happen.

He called his spin final in his last mail and between the lines of this
and earlier mails I read "I want to see this as official spin in
Fedora". Together that means to me: if Fedora wants that spin someone
needs to tell him what the next steps are (or in this case: point him to
the proper place in the wiki). Until now nobody did.

Cu
thl