Old 02-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Spins, where are they?

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

On 08.02.2008 10:20, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Sebastian (a relative new contributer) afaics could need some
help/guidance how to go forward with it. He tried to find help on
fedora-devel, but besides some discussion ("add this and that" -> "no
more space on CD" and "integrate LTSP" -> "no more space on CD" or "make
a DVD" -> "no, make a CD" | "make both a CD and a DVD" ) not much happened.
I see the wiki page being updated regularly and answered with a
suggestion when asked for help. Not sure what you were expecting to happen.

He called his spin final in his last mail and between the lines of this
and earlier mails I read "I want to see this as official spin in
Fedora". Together that means to me: if Fedora wants that spin someone
needs to tell him what the next steps are (or in this case: point him to
the proper place in the wiki). Until now nobody did.

I can't find the mail. Feel free to respond with

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins

It's faster that way. IMO, that spin probably needs to be merged with
the LTSP integration work that is currently progressing rather than
released at this stage.

Rahul

Old 02-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 08.02.2008 13:57, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> I see the wiki page being updated regularly and answered with a
>>> suggestion when asked for help. Not sure what you were expecting to happen.
>> He called his spin final in his last mail and between the lines of this
>> and earlier mails I read "I want to see this as official spin in
>> Fedora". Together that means to me: if Fedora wants that spin someone
>> needs to tell him what the next steps are (or in this case: point him to
>> the proper place in the wiki). Until now nobody did.
> I can't find the mail. Feel free to respond with

Feel free to do that yourself. I'm trying to get out of Fedora, not
deeper into it.

CU
knurd

Old 02-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

[...]

It takes less time to answer the mail than discuss about it here but I
have done so nevertheless.

Rahul

Old 02-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 08.02.2008 14:31, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>> I can't find the mail. Feel free to respond with
>> Feel free to do that yourself. I'm trying to get out of Fedora, not
>> deeper into it.
> It takes less time to answer the mail than discuss about it here but I
> have done so nevertheless.

Fully agreed.

But the point I'm trying to make is: new contributers like Sebastian
need some guidance / hand holding to find their way into the project.
The EDU spin is a good example for that, as the discussion on the list
was a typical one -- one says "make a CD" and the next "make a DVD". One
says "integrate LTSP, even if it means waiting" the other "do it now".
One says "foo" the other the opposite. That's sometimes to much to
handle new contributers.

In the fedora.us and Fedora Extras days people often got guidance or a
helpful hand from experienced contributers. It seems that often not the
case these days in Fedora-land, and that's one of the reasons why I'm
trying to take a Fedora break or find my way out of it (not sure what
it'll become; time will tell).

Cu
knurd

Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Rex Dieter

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

In the fedora.us and Fedora Extras days people often got guidance or a
helpful hand from experienced contributers. It seems that often not the
case these days in Fedora-land...

The project is growing and getting much larger fast, so your (allow me
to greatly paraphrase) "it's a small town where everyone knows and helps
everybody" notion doesn't (seem to?) scale. That doesn't mean we don't
all keep working hard and trying to things to improve, but I only wanted
to highlight that your expectations, especially comparing to how things
worked in the past, may not be entirely realistic.

-- Rex

Old 02-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Mike McGrath

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:

> > > My question for you is... where does infrastructure stand in terms of
> > > hosting resources for spins. If you had a request for 50 more isos to
> > > host... could we do it?
> > >

> > We've got just a bit more then 400G donated in November from one of our
> > sponsors, ServerBeach in preparation for hosting new spins and torrents.
>
> So if you are willing to host them, I have a dozen localized spins and the
> XFCE spin all approved and waiting for the next step.
>
> http://sundaram.fedorapeople.org/spins/

The process is designed so that infrastructure actually isn't involved at
all. The process is very well documented, notice we're not middle-men in
that list at all.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins

-Mike

Old 02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Mike McGrath wrote:

The process is designed so that infrastructure actually isn't involved at
all. The process is very well documented, notice we're not middle-men in
that list at all.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/CustomSpins

I am well aware of the written procedure after gone through it so many
times but in practice it has generated a lot of discussion about how it
is supposed to be handled and it hasn't quite worked out like it has
been documented. I think we are still in the process of figuring out the
optimal workflow.

Rahul

Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Feb 8, 2008 6:01 AM, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I am well aware of the written procedure after gone through it so many
> times but in practice it has generated a lot of discussion about how it
> is supposed to be handled and it hasn't quite worked out like it has
> been documented. I think we are still in the process of figuring out the
> optimal workflow.

Indeed.

I'll be talking to you tomorrow about your Spin Process Draft.

-jef