Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 PM
seth vidal

Default Under 18, Wants to contribute

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 14:29 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 2:13 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net> wrote:
>
> > More seriously I agree with Yaakov, it's better to know where we stand
> > and how we can make sure we are clean. If we need a signature or a
> > proxy we can arrange to get one, at least we will have a formal
> > procedure to point to.
>
> +1. Let me peer into my magic 8 ball now. I already know what the
> lawyers are going to say - the CLA is a signed, binding legal
> agreement. You have to have attained the age of majority in your
> jurisdiction, wherever that may be (18 in the US, don't know about
> other countries) in order to sign it. No different than applying for
> a credit card, etc - both agreements give you legal rights and
> obligations.
>
> While this may not be the answer that *we* want, it is the legal
> answer (IANAL though). What we need is some stated process for
> parental consent that's not too cumbersome.

It might not - a lot of online agreements are w/minors. Facebook,
myspace, etc..

-sv

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 14:32 -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> It might not - a lot of online agreements are w/minors. Facebook,
> myspace, etc..

In fact, I'm fairly sure in my heart of hearts that is the intention of
the Red Hat legal team when they crafted this agreement. Most likely
they knew full well that minors would be wanting to sign it. If they
had intended language prohibiting or controlling the agreement by age,
they would have included it.

But, hey, we can ask. After all, in addition to not being a lawyer and
not giving legal advice, I am not a mind reader.

At least we do have a consensus on one thing, right? We agree here that
we'd like to see people of all ages contributing to Fedora, with or
without a CLA.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, Developer Community Mgr.
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org

Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Feb 4, 2008 4:21 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:

> But, hey, we can ask. After all, in addition to not being a lawyer and
> not giving legal advice, I am not a mind reader.

Awww, we thought that was one of your many super-human abilities!

> At least we do have a consensus on one thing, right? We agree here that
> we'd like to see people of all ages contributing to Fedora, with or
> without a CLA.

I don't see any disagreement on that...certainly not from here.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM
"Karsten 'quaid' Wade"

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 17:36 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2008 4:21 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > But, hey, we can ask. After all, in addition to not being a lawyer and
> > not giving legal advice, I am not a mind reader.
>
> Awww, we thought that was one of your many super-human abilities!

The fact that I didn't know you thought that should be proof enough.

- Karsten