Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Advisory Board (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/)
-   -   Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/41739-mandatory-subscriptions-memo-list.html)

Jason L Tibbitts III 01-19-2008 05:22 PM

Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list?
 
>>>>> "MS" == Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael@gmx.net> writes:

MS> I this case, an early memo would have saved packagers from
MS> preparing unneeded rebuilds.

Well, an announcement was sent to fedora-devel-announce, which I
believe all package maintainers are members of.

Even after this announcement, however, there were still many questions
about the broken deps reports. Whether those folks didn't get the
message or whether they just didn't read it before seeing the broken
deps report, we can't say. I guess someone could ask them.

- J<

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board

Mike McGrath 01-19-2008 07:03 PM

Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list?
 
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> Are all packagers/contributors subscribed to fedora-devel-announce?
> Is subscription mandatory?
>
> IMO, the recent blow-up of rawhide has shown once more that a way to
> send memos to all contributors (in this case "packagers") is needed.
> Some commits to packages say "Rebuild for new glibc ABI" which clearly
> is based on misunderstanding the wrong broken deps notifications. I this
> case, an early memo would have saved packagers from preparing
> unneeded rebuilds.
>
> Thoughts?

I have similar problems when sending outage notifications. When I have a
message to get out to the community, where do I send it? In the case of
outages it affects art, docs, websites, etc teams. But the plain old
Fedora-announce list doesn't seem quite right (its more for end user
communication I think).

-Mike

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board

Axel Thimm 01-19-2008 08:39 PM

Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list?
 
On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 02:03:38PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
> > Are all packagers/contributors subscribed to fedora-devel-announce?
> > Is subscription mandatory?

It should, as well as ...

> > IMO, the recent blow-up of rawhide has shown once more that a way to
> > send memos to all contributors (in this case "packagers") is needed.
> > Some commits to packages say "Rebuild for new glibc ABI" which clearly
> > is based on misunderstanding the wrong broken deps notifications. I this
> > case, an early memo would have saved packagers from preparing
> > unneeded rebuilds.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I have similar problems when sending outage notifications. When I have a
> message to get out to the community, where do I send it? In the case of
> outages it affects art, docs, websites, etc teams. But the plain old
> Fedora-announce list doesn't seem quite right (its more for end user
> communication I think).

... Fedora artists, documenters, webmasters etc.

Or paraphrased: Everything not end-user consumable should go to
fedora-devel-announce and everyone involved with Fedora more than as
an end user should be subscribed there.

The alternative of creating new *-announce lists will add to the list
inflation problem.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board

"Jon Stanley" 01-19-2008 08:44 PM

Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list?
 
On Jan 19, 2008 4:39 PM, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@atrpms.net> wrote:

> Or paraphrased: Everything not end-user consumable should go to
> fedora-devel-announce and everyone involved with Fedora more than as
> an end user should be subscribed there.

Why not rename that to fedora-contrib-announce in that case?

> The alternative of creating new *-announce lists will add to the list
> inflation problem.

+1

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board

Michael Schwendt 01-19-2008 09:10 PM

Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list?
 
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:39:34 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > I have similar problems when sending outage notifications. When I have a
> > message to get out to the community, where do I send it? In the case of
> > outages it affects art, docs, websites, etc teams. But the plain old
> > Fedora-announce list doesn't seem quite right (its more for end user
> > communication I think).
>
> ... Fedora artists, documenters, webmasters etc.
>
> Or paraphrased: Everything not end-user consumable should go to
> fedora-devel-announce and everyone involved with Fedora more than as
> an end user should be subscribed there.
>
> The alternative of creating new *-announce lists will add to the list
> inflation problem.

Once the lists and mandatory subscriptions exist -- and provided that
the contributors cannot unsubscribe -- what is left is to make the
subscribers aware of the lists, so they can set up their mail filters
appropriately. Memos, which end up in a folder filled with the traffic
of other fedora lists, would be less helpful.

What about a news feed for such memos?

_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board

Axel Thimm 01-19-2008 09:18 PM

Mandatory subscriptions to a memo-list?
 
On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 11:10:11PM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 23:39:34 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > > > Thoughts?
> > >
> > > I have similar problems when sending outage notifications. When I have a
> > > message to get out to the community, where do I send it? In the case of
> > > outages it affects art, docs, websites, etc teams. But the plain old
> > > Fedora-announce list doesn't seem quite right (its more for end user
> > > communication I think).
> >
> > ... Fedora artists, documenters, webmasters etc.
> >
> > Or paraphrased: Everything not end-user consumable should go to
> > fedora-devel-announce and everyone involved with Fedora more than as
> > an end user should be subscribed there.
> >
> > The alternative of creating new *-announce lists will add to the list
> > inflation problem.
>
> Once the lists and mandatory subscriptions exist -- and provided that
> the contributors cannot unsubscribe -- what is left is to make the
> subscribers aware of the lists, so they can set up their mail filters
> appropriately. Memos, which end up in a folder filled with the traffic
> of other fedora lists, would be less helpful.
>
> What about a news feed for such memos?

A news feed is good, but there should always be a mail channel as
well. There do exist some mail2feed software that can make an
announce list to a news feed I suppose.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
_______________________________________________
fedora-advisory-board mailing list
fedora-advisory-board@redhat.com
http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-advisory-board


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.