Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 PM
"Robert 'Bob' Jensen"

Default Fedora account restrictions

ffm wrote:
Yes. That is what would be preferred. My parents just do not want to be
able for John Doe <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe> to google
"ffm" or "Joe Bloggs <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bloggs>" and find
out that "ffm == Joe Bloggs".

I agree. I am not asking for anonymity from my fellow developers, only
from the "public eye" of search engines.

ffm, it is really not all that hard to figure out who you are. I was
able to cross reference your package with some other hints to find your
Name, location, school you attended this past spring, approximate age.
It is scary how easy it was actually.

I wish you and your parents luck in this effort and keep up the good work.

Robert 'Bob' Jensen
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BobJensen
Fedora Unity Project
http://fedoraunity.org/

Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Jan 21, 2008 4:11 AM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 23:24 -0500, Russell Harrison wrote:
> > I'm a strong believer in getting talented students involved and
> > excited as soon as possible. In order to do that we do have the
> > obligation to protect their identity when requested.
>
> You're again confusing the issue of age with the issue of anonymity. The
> fact that his parents are paranoid muppets and are _imposing_ the
> anonymity on him, and that he chooses to accept that, is not our
> business. Our business is that he's coming to us asking if he can be a
> contributor while remaining anonymous -- and we seem mostly to be saying
> 'no'.

Of course if he had just signed his name as David Woodjouse III, we
would have been none the wiser. Does the Fedora/Red Hat organization
do any background checks to make sure the person who has signed the
contract etc really exists?

So in some ways, we reward dishonesty and punish honesty. I am not
sure there is a solution to this that isnt worse than the present.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:48 PM
"Russell Harrison"

On Jan 21, 2008 9:23 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, but you can't prevent someone that _does_ have access from doing
> so. The Fedora Project cannot be held liable for that.

Good point. Unfortunately it is something that would be very easy to
accidentally do. All it takes is one person who does know the name to
slip and use it in a fedora email list or IRC channel. Any of which
would be indexed quite quickly. :-(

Russell