Old 01-20-2008, 01:58 PM
David Woodhouse

Default Fedora account restrictions

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 10:30 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> * Sun Jan 20 2008 David Woodhouse <some@mail> - 1.1.1-1
> - Upgrade to 1.1.1 (by ffm).

On a kind of related topic, triggered by the above misspelling of my
email address -- can we please have a rule that the email address in
changelogs like the above should be a _real_ email address?

I never quite understood why people bother with pointless obfuscation
that the address harvesters can trivially undo anyway.

--
dwmw2

Old 01-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Jesse Keating

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:58:48 +0800
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> On a kind of related topic, triggered by the above misspelling of my
> email address -- can we please have a rule that the email address in
> changelogs like the above should be a _real_ email address?
>
> I never quite understood why people bother with pointless obfuscation
> that the address harvesters can trivially undo anyway.

I'd rather that info be autofilled in from the source controls system
using the account name of the person, since account@fedoraproject.org
is a very likely real email address. Then you get the actual person
who committed the change, rather than whatever somebody felt like
writing in the changelog.

--
Jesse Keating

Old 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Ricky Zhou

On 2008-01-20 12:42:24 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> A question unanswered on fedora-devel-list, is it currently possible
> with the FAS to display a contributor's sponsor?
>
> With the following advertised page it isn't:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem/QueryAccount
Yup, it is (in the sense of who sponsored a person into a group). For
now, you have to look at the user from the group view, though (ex.
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/groupbox.cgi?_role_show_all=1&name=web)

Thanks,
Ricky

Old 01-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

On 20.01.2008 12:42, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> A question unanswered on fedora-devel-list, is it currently possible
> with the FAS to display a contributor's sponsor?
> With the following advertised page it isn't:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/AccountSystem/QueryAccount

If I query myself via that URL I get directed to a FAS page that lists
my FAS details; in the "Existing memberships" table at the bottom I see
the groups I'm a member in; for each of those in the rightmost column
there is the FAS name of the person who sponsered me for that group
(including cvsextras). That afaics should be what you are looking for.
Or did I get the question wrong?

CU
knurd

Old 01-20-2008, 04:10 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Jan 20, 2008 11:59 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:

> If I query myself via that URL I get directed to a FAS page that lists
> my FAS details;

Right, but try querying someone else (try jstanley for me)

Old 01-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Josh Boyer

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:58:48 +0800
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 10:30 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > * Sun Jan 20 2008 David Woodhouse <some@mail> - 1.1.1-1
> > - Upgrade to 1.1.1 (by ffm).
>
> On a kind of related topic, triggered by the above misspelling of my
> email address -- can we please have a rule that the email address in
> changelogs like the above should be a _real_ email address?

Do you really want a rule around that? It just seems like more policy
that isn't going to be enforced anyway.

> I never quite understood why people bother with pointless obfuscation
> that the address harvesters can trivially undo anyway.

I don't understand it either. But creating a rule seems overkill.

josh

Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
"Jon Stanley"

On Jan 20, 2008 12:58 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you really want a rule around that? It just seems like more policy
> that isn't going to be enforced anyway.

I don't think that a rule was being suggested as much as an automated
process to replace changelog entries with <user>@fp.o

Old 01-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Josh Boyer

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:04:47 -0500
"Jon Stanley" <jonstanley@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2008 12:58 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you really want a rule around that? It just seems like more policy
> > that isn't going to be enforced anyway.
>
> I don't think that a rule was being suggested as much as an automated
> process to replace changelog entries with <user>@fp.o

Erm, that was Jesse's suggestion. The original email, which you've cut
out of the context, explicitly asked for a rule.

Automating it is fine. Making a rule requiring it would be a waste of
time unless someone explicitly tracked package changelogs to make sure
they were following the rule.

josh

Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
David Woodhouse

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 10:39 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> I'd rather that info be autofilled in from the source controls system
> using the account name of the person, since account@fedoraproject.org
> is a very likely real email address. Then you get the actual person
> who committed the change, rather than whatever somebody felt like
> writing in the changelog.

When someone gives me a specfile patch, or a patch which applies
directly to the package CVS repository, it usually includes their name
in the changelog. When I'm just the monkey typing 'cvs commit' I see no
reason to change that.

--
dwmw2

Old 01-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Jesse Keating

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:17:29 +0800
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:

> When someone gives me a specfile patch, or a patch which applies
> directly to the package CVS repository, it usually includes their name
> in the changelog. When I'm just the monkey typing 'cvs commit' I see
> no reason to change that.

Except that you can't verify that the name or email in the changelog is
the right one. The first stop along the chain of wtf is the person who
committed the change, regardless of where the change came from.

--
Jesse Keating