Old 07-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default Inquiry about steps to take to get licence for 'fedora-ar.org' domain

On 07/19/2010 07:00 PM, María Leandro wrote:
> What do you mean with "licence"?

Probably a request for a trademark license

Rahul

Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Chris Tyler

On Sun, 2010-07-18 at 06:23 +0300, Ahmed M. Araby wrote:

> Just as in subject
> What should I do to have licence for 'fedora-ar.org' domain ?

Hi Ahmed,

You've taken the right first step :-) The FPL handles trademark
licensing agreements, but Jared's traveling now, so it may be a few
days. If you posted information about who will be managing the domain,
what it will be used for, and a mock-up of the site, it would speed
things along.

As an alternative to fedora-ar.org, have you considered
ar.fedoracommunity.org? The process is simpler, faster, and cheaper --
see https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

-Chris

Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Chris Tyler

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 09:37 -0430, María Leandro wrote:
> Hello again.
>

> I know the guy who runs this domain, but I don't understand why you
> talk about create a paralel website if we already have a team runing
> fedora-ar.org
>

> Probably I don't understand this thread, but I don't consider proper
> to have separated websites for the same thing.
>

> See ya.

Hi Tatica,

We ask site that have "fedora" in the name to sign a trademark licensing
agreement, and I assume that was what Ahmed was asking about. As an
alternative to getting a separate domain, we've made it easy to get
subdomains under the fedoracommunity.org domain, so I suggested that
Ahmed consider ar.fedoracommunity.org as an alternative to fedora-ar.org
-- it's faster and cheaper (RH pays the domain registration).

You mention that there's a team already running fedora-ar.org, but that
domain does not appear to be registered, so I'm not sure what you mean
(?).

-Chris

Old 07-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 10:22 -0400, Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 09:37 -0430, María Leandro wrote:
> > Hello again.
> >

> > I know the guy who runs this domain, but I don't understand why you
> > talk about create a paralel website if we already have a team runing
> > fedora-ar.org

> We ask site that have "fedora" in the name to sign a trademark licensing
> agreement, and I assume that was what Ahmed was asking about. As an
> alternative to getting a separate domain, we've made it easy to get
> subdomains under the fedoracommunity.org domain, so I suggested that
> Ahmed consider ar.fedoracommunity.org as an alternative to fedora-ar.org
> -- it's faster and cheaper (RH pays the domain registration).
>
> You mention that there's a team already running fedora-ar.org, but that
> domain does not appear to be registered, so I'm not sure what you mean

She is probably talking about this group:

http://proyectofedora.org/argentina/

~m

Old 07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
José Matos

On Monday 19 July 2010 16:45:56 Máirín Duffy wrote:
> She is probably talking about this group:
>
> http://proyectofedora.org/argentina/
>
> ~m

The possible confusion is that ar can mean two different things:

international code for Argentina
abbreviation of Arabic

--
José Abílio

Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 06:23:59AM +0300, Ahmed M. Araby wrote:
> Just as in subject
> What should I do to have licence for 'fedora-ar.org' domain ?

Hello Ahmed,

Use of the Fedora trademarks in a domain name (such as
'fedora-ar.org') are subject to a license agreement. You can find out
more information here on our wiki:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains

Especially:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Local_community_domains#Self-purchased_domain
...since that seems to be the use you're thinking about.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 05:06:09PM +0100, José Matos wrote:
> On Monday 19 July 2010 16:45:56 Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > She is probably talking about this group:
> >
> > http://proyectofedora.org/argentina/
>
> The possible confusion is that ar can mean two different things:
>
> international code for Argentina
> abbreviation of Arabic

Good catch, José. The Arabic contributors may need a more
distinguishable domain name.