Old 07-07-2010, 07:12 PM
inode0

Default How to be a successful contributor

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> With the help of some others I've put this document together:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor
>
> I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the
> Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. *I thought I'd
> mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up
> process.
>
> Questions / comments welcome.

Personally, I would like to see this be something every potential
contributor sees when visiting the wiki and looking around for how
they might contribute. Very well done, Mike.

John

Old 07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
David Nalley

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 3:12 PM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
>> With the help of some others I've put this document together:
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor
>>
>> I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the
>> Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. *I thought I'd
>> mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up
>> process.
>>
>> Questions / comments welcome.
>
> Personally, I would like to see this be something every potential
> contributor sees when visiting the wiki and looking around for how
> they might contribute. Very well done, Mike.

I largely agree that this is universally applicable for Fedora Project
contributors.
I told Mike on IRC (and will echo here) that I think we constantly
downplay the importance of IRC for participation in Fedora. It so
rapidly accelerates things, that I'd like to see it more prominently
discussed than it is, but I am just bikeshedding, so feel free to
/ignore me.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Joerg Simon

Am 07.07.2010 20:52, schrieb Mike McGrath:
> With the help of some others I've put this document together:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor
>
> I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the
> Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. I thought I'd
> mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up
> process.

i like it and added it to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors_Join_explore_fedora

thanks Mike!

cu Joerg
--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon@fedoraproject.org

Old 07-07-2010, 10:12 PM
John Poelstra

Mike McGrath said the following on 07/07/2010 11:52 AM Pacific Time:
> With the help of some others I've put this document together:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor
>
> I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the
> Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. I thought I'd
> mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up
> process.
>
> Questions / comments welcome.
>
> -Mike

Great job Mike! One of the best things it does is set clear
expectations. I find that unmet expectations are often the reason for
disappointment, frustration, and conflict. What a great way to mitigate
the chance of those things happening.

John

Old 07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Marķa Leandro

Hi Mike!!!
this article is awesome!
I took the liberty to translate into spanish because I was needing something like this thank you very much and I will try to make other mentors and sponsors add new ideas and tips.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor/es
Again, thx!! (second time you help me :P )

2010/7/7 John Poelstra <poelstra@redhat.com>

Mike McGrath said the following on 07/07/2010 11:52 AM Pacific Time:

> With the help of some others I've put this document together:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor

> I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the

> Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. *I thought I'd

> mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up

> process.

> Questions / comments welcome.

> * * * -Mike

Great job Mike! *One of the best things it does is set clear

expectations. *I find that unmet expectations are often the reason for

disappointment, frustration, and conflict. *What a great way to mitigate

the chance of those things happening.

John

tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro
http://www.tatica.org
http://www.fedora-ve.org

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MariaLeandro
LinuxUser= 440285
GPG Public Key: E1CDCC56
"Be yourself... Don't be anyone else"

Old 07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

Mike McGrath wrote:
> With the help of some others I've put this document together:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor
>
> I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the
> Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. I thought I'd
> mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up
> process.
>
> Questions / comments welcome.

Reading this page for the first time...

It looks like a better title would be:

"How to *become* a successful contributor"

Further, the page isn't written very well; Who thinks it's suitable to say to
a new, potential contributor:

"It is your job to ..."

"This step is both incredibly difficult and important."

"The single biggest mistake new contributors make"

It just sounds way too negative, and I'm thinking for a prominent page to be
put in front of many new, potentially very valuable contributors, it should be
motivating, a brochure to close the sale.

So, in effect, where we say "incredibly difficult to find a mentor", what we
should be asking ourselves is "why is it difficult to find a mentor and more
importantly, what can we do about it?". A solution as simple as a wiki page
listing mentors and their location (physical proximity helps) might just solve
that problem.

Just my $0.02

-- Jeroen

Old 07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
susmit shannigrahi

> So, in effect, where we say "incredibly difficult to find a mentor", what we
> should be asking ourselves is "why is it difficult to find a mentor and more
> importantly, what can we do about it?". A solution as simple as a wiki page
> listing mentors and their location (physical proximity helps) might just solve
> that problem.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors_Join_choose_a_mentor#Regional_Ambassad or_Mentors

Such listings for important teams will be very helpful for new people.
On the other hand, mentors *will* be inundated by mentoring requests.
So, a balanced approach, such as a task list as a first filter and
then proceeding with mentoring may be suitable.

Susmit.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Greg DeKoenigsberg

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM, susmit shannigrahi <thinklinux.ssh@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, in effect, where we say "incredibly difficult to find a mentor", what we

> should be asking ourselves is "why is it difficult to find a mentor and more

> importantly, what can we do about it?". A solution as simple as a wiki page

> listing mentors and their location (physical proximity helps) might just solve

> that problem.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors_Join_choose_a_mentor#Regional_Ambassad or_Mentors

Such listings for important teams will be very helpful for new people.

On the other hand, mentors *will* be inundated by mentoring requests.

So, a balanced approach, such as a task list as a first filter and

then proceeding with mentoring may be suitable.

We've tried this approach in the past -- but mentor/mentee relationships are a lot more complex than one party saying "hey, will you be my mentor?" and the other party saying "sure."

I think that if we look closely at Fedora, we will find that most mentorship is organic, and arises when a busy mentor sees an opportunity to offload work to someone who has shown an aptitude for that same work.* But the "mentee" first has to demonstrate that aptitude.

I continue to think that concentrating on ideas like OpenHatch is the way to go.* Focus on the work, and the mentorship will follow.* It's way easier to mentor someone when they say "I'm trying to do X, and when I do Y, Z happens, why isn't it doing Q?" is way easier than mentoring someone when they say "hi, I want to be a contributor, what do I do now?"

--g

Old 07-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Jeroen van Meeuwen

susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> > So, in effect, where we say "incredibly difficult to find a mentor", what
we
> > should be asking ourselves is "why is it difficult to find a mentor and
more
> > importantly, what can we do about it?". A solution as simple as a wiki
page
> > listing mentors and their location (physical proximity helps) might just
solve
> > that problem.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors_Join_choose_a_mentor#Regional_Ambassad or_Mentors

> Such listings for important teams will be very helpful for new people.
> On the other hand, mentors *will* be inundated by mentoring requests.
> So, a balanced approach, such as a task list as a first filter and
> then proceeding with mentoring may be suitable.

The Ambassador Mentor program, I think, has been very successful. However, it
seems we have no general mentor program for Fedora Project, to assist new
contributors seeking ways to contribute, in whatever capacity all across the
project.

-- Jeroen

Old 07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Mike McGrath

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > With the help of some others I've put this document together:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_be_a_Successful_Contributor
> >
> > I intend on having it be required reading for new members of the
> > Infrastructure team as part of our GettingStarted page. I thought I'd
> > mention it here in case others would like to make it part of their sign up
> > process.
> >
> > Questions / comments welcome.
> >

> Reading this page for the first time...
>
> It looks like a better title would be:
>
> "How to *become* a successful contributor"
>
> Further, the page isn't written very well; Who thinks it's suitable to say to
> a new, potential contributor:
>
> "It is your job to ..."
>
> "This step is both incredibly difficult and important."
>
> "The single biggest mistake new contributors make"
>
> It just sounds way too negative, and I'm thinking for a prominent page to be
> put in front of many new, potentially very valuable contributors, it should be
> motivating, a brochure to close the sale.
>
> So, in effect, where we say "incredibly difficult to find a mentor", what we
> should be asking ourselves is "why is it difficult to find a mentor and more
> importantly, what can we do about it?". A solution as simple as a wiki page
> listing mentors and their location (physical proximity helps) might just solve
> that problem.

The document just states reality. I'm not that happy with it either
(reality, not the document). The reality is it is very difficult to find
a mentor we've tried to create a mentor program twice and both failed
within the first month or two.

As far as sounding negative. It's really hard to join the project right
now. New contributors make mistakes. It is the volunteers job to do
certain things. It's worded that way because that's how things work.
Sure, it'd be great to wave a magic wand and have it super easy for people
to do whatever they want whenever they want but that's not the Fedora
Project we're in today. AFAIK no one has that project.

-Mike