Old 06-18-2010, 04:37 PM
seth vidal

Default proposal for the board: planet fedora != fedora people

Hi ,
so planet.fedoraproject.org used to be title 'fedorapeople' b/c it was
about the fedora people.

So here's the idea:

make planet.fedoraproject.org be ONLY about fedora and/or related
technologies/events/etc - just enforce a fedora 'tag'.

and make:
planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.

-sv

Old 06-18-2010, 04:40 PM
Chris Tyler

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 12:37 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi ,
> so planet.fedoraproject.org used to be title 'fedorapeople' b/c it was
> about the fedora people.
>
> So here's the idea:
>
> make planet.fedoraproject.org be ONLY about fedora and/or related
> technologies/events/etc - just enforce a fedora 'tag'.
>
> and make:
> planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.
>

> -sv

+1 *if* the definition of Fedora-related is pretty broad.

Should /people/ be a strict superset of the main planet? I'd like to
have a single place to go for posts about Fedora and about the Fedora
community (what's going on with my Fedora Friends).

-Chris

Old 06-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 12:37 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi ,
> so planet.fedoraproject.org used to be title 'fedorapeople' b/c it was
> about the fedora people.
>
> So here's the idea:
>
> make planet.fedoraproject.org be ONLY about fedora and/or related
> technologies/events/etc - just enforce a fedora 'tag'.
>
> and make:
> planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.

I like this idea, but the 'anything-goes' needs to be clearly stated
front and center. "THIS CONTENT IS NOT EDITED!" kind of thing

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 05:06 PM
susmit shannigrahi

>> and make:
>> planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.
>
> I like this idea, but the 'anything-goes' needs to be clearly stated
> front and center. "THIS CONTENT IS NOT EDITED!" kind of thing

In past, we have gone public with the view that the planet is not only
for technical aspects of Fedora but we are also interested in the real
people and their works inside and beyond Fedora Project. If it is so,
what is it necessary to separate them?

I am not opposed to the idea per se, but the rational behind this move
isn't clear to me. Is it because some controversial posts have
surfaced again? Or is it because most of the posts are unrelated to
Fedora?

Thanks.
Susmit.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 22:36 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> In past, we have gone public with the view that the planet is not only
> for technical aspects of Fedora but we are also interested in the real
> people and their works inside and beyond Fedora Project. If it is so,
> what is it necessary to separate them?
>
> I am not opposed to the idea per se, but the rational behind this move
> isn't clear to me. Is it because some controversial posts have
> surfaced again? Or is it because most of the posts are unrelated to
> Fedora?

You might want to check out the 'Planet Fedora guidelines' thread -
that's what lead to this thread I think.

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
susmit shannigrahi

> You might want to check out the 'Planet Fedora guidelines' thread -
> that's what lead to this thread I think.

I have seen it just now.
Still I don't find the rational. Does not the logo come up with each
post? It does. So if someone's picture is still 400x400, and we break
the planet, how does the proposal solve the problem? Or are we
*really* having problem with other FOSS project posts coming to our
planet?

Susmit.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 22:50 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> > You might want to check out the 'Planet Fedora guidelines' thread -
> > that's what lead to this thread I think.

> I have seen it just now.
> Still I don't find the rational. Does not the logo come up with each
> post? It does.

Which? The ubuntu logo or the Fedora logo? There is a < 100x100 Fedora
logo on the top left corner of Fedora Planet.

> So if someone's picture is still 400x400, and we break
> the planet, how does the proposal solve the problem? Or are we
> *really* having problem with other FOSS project posts coming to our
> planet?

I think you're a little confused about the issue. The person's
hackergotchi isn't a 400x400 picture and there isn't any planet
breakage, at least not technically. It's more a cultural concern.

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 05:30 PM
susmit shannigrahi

2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 22:50 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
>> > You might want to check out the 'Planet Fedora guidelines' thread -
>> > that's what lead to this thread I think.
>
>> I have seen it just now.
>> Still I don't find the rational. Does not the logo come up with each
>> post? It does.
>
> Which? The ubuntu logo or the Fedora logo? There is a < 100x100 Fedora
> logo on the top left corner of Fedora Planet.
>
>> *So if someone's picture is still 400x400, and we break
>> the planet, how does the proposal solve the problem? Or are we
>> *really* having problem with other FOSS project posts coming to our
>> planet?
>
> I think you're a little confused about the issue. The person's
> hackergotchi isn't a 400x400 picture and there isn't any planet
> breakage, at least not technically. It's more a cultural concern.

I was, the blog was not opening.
I don't want to hijack this one. I shall post my comments on the other thread.

Susmit.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Matt Domsch

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:37:18PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> Hi ,
> so planet.fedoraproject.org used to be title 'fedorapeople' b/c it was
> about the fedora people.
>
> So here's the idea:
>
> make planet.fedoraproject.org be ONLY about fedora and/or related
> technologies/events/etc - just enforce a fedora 'tag'.
>
> and make:
> planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.

-1 from me.

I understand the concern raised generally - we want to keep content
appropriate - the challenge is, this is a societal/community norms
discussion then. I presume someone has contacted this particular
author privately already (likely his Ambassador sponsor; if not, let's
be sure that happens).

For this technical proposal:

1) It doesn't solve the problem of inappropriate content in a
technical way. Someone could just as easily put a Fedora tag on their
inappropriate content, and land it on both.

2) it creates yet-another-place for remarkably similar content, and i
think we're mighty spread out as it is.

Unless we're going to start having a set of human filters on whatever
might get aggregated, we're going to occasionally have a problem post.
But in those few cases, let's try correcting the individuals involved,
rather than try to police it apriori.

I do agree it would be appropriate to create a set of planet
guidelines and recommendations, which, if blatently and repeatedly
broken, may result in loss of aggregation privilages.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 06-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Matt Domsch <matt@domsch.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:37:18PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>> Hi ,
>> *so planet.fedoraproject.org used to be title 'fedorapeople' b/c it was
>> about the fedora people.
>>
>> So here's the idea:
>>
>> make planet.fedoraproject.org be ONLY about fedora and/or related
>> technologies/events/etc - just enforce a fedora 'tag'.
>>
>> and make:
>> planet.fedoraproject.org/people/ be the anything-goes aggregate.
>
> -1 from me.
>
> I understand the concern raised generally - we want to keep content
> appropriate - the challenge is, this is a societal/community norms
> discussion then. *I presume someone has contacted this particular
> author privately already (likely his Ambassador sponsor; if not, let's
> be sure that happens).
>
> For this technical proposal:
>
> 1) It doesn't solve the problem of inappropriate content in a
> technical way. *Someone could just as easily put a Fedora tag on their
> inappropriate content, and land it on both.
>
> 2) it creates yet-another-place for remarkably similar content, and i
> think we're mighty spread out as it is.
>
> Unless we're going to start having a set of human filters on whatever
> might get aggregated, we're going to occasionally have a problem post.
> But in those few cases, let's try correcting the individuals involved,
> rather than try to police it apriori.
>
> I do agree it would be appropriate to create a set of planet
> guidelines and recommendations, which, if blatently and repeatedly
> broken, may result in loss of aggregation privilages.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

I think this is a highly reactionary move to a fairly innocent blog
post that is related to another distro.

I think this really shoots us in the collective foot in a number of ways:

#1: People will not know, or not remember, to tag their Fedora-related
articles as Fedora. Thus, a lot of really good content will get
skipped.

#2: I, like most people I would suspect, do not want to have to read 2
different blogs to see what is going on in the Fedora community. I
personally enjoy reading what is going on in the lives of people
inside the community that is not Fedora-related. Getting rid of that
- we might as well just say, we're not friends - we're only interested
in your Fedora content. We're a community. Friends is one of our
-foundations-. Why would we implement a policy that makes the main
aggregate for all the Fedora community blogs send a message that is
contrary to what we believe?

#3: I think the reasons for doing so are just entirely too
big-brotherish. Seriously: We've had issues in the past where people
have posted questionable content - and I'll just say Nicu, because I'm
sure he's reading this (HI NICU!) and there's no point in being
subtle, and I think that's the scenario most people are thinking of.
Now, I happen to enjoy Nicu's photos and content and I actively go out
out of my way to read his non-planet postings - which are non-planet
because someone -just talked- to him. As a -Friend- would.

#4: We're considering doing this over a post that is not even
-questionable content-. We're doing this because we don't like seeing
an ubuntu logo on our planet feed. This sends a message that,
basically, your content isn't welcome here because you work in
multiple communities. Do we not think that that message is going to
backfire terribly?

I'd like to add that currently, on the front page of ubuntu's planet,
RIGHT NOW, is this highly detailed blog post. Do you think this same
conversation is going on in parallel elsewhere?
http://pthree.org/2010/06/17/using-symantec-netbackp-with-a-fedora-12-live-cd/

I don't happen to think that ubuntu content on our blog is a problem.
Particularly if the same people are posting Fedora content there - or
Debian folks are posting content to all three places - then it becomes
a feature, rather than a problem. I'm not a fan of being known as "the
distro that won't let you talk about other distros," or essentially,
the distro that relegates all non-distro related content to a sub-blog
that nobody ever reads.

-Robyn