Old 06-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Nicu Buculei

Default Planet Fedora guidelines?

On 06/25/2010 07:25 AM, inode0 wrote:

> Unless something has changed and I missed the memo I thought the
> planet was for contributors to share their thoughts about Fedora and
> pretty much anything else they cared to talk about. It really was
> never meant to be a press feed, it wasn't ever meant to be about only
> Fedora (or some percentage that someone determines about Fedora or
> ...), it wasn't meant to be the place to send new people unless they
> were adventurous.

AFAIK, we never had an official definition of what Planet Fedora is,
myself I used a definition for it similar with the one on Planet GNOME
("Planet GNOME is a window into the world, work and lives of GNOME
hackers and contributors.") - this is something I wish we also had on
the Planet page.

> I think the planet is fine without new rules and I think this
> conversation should probably be happening on the planet rather than
> here so planet participants can be engaged. Planet posters seem to me
> to largely be doing a good job of running the planet community in a
> friendly way without our help.

PS: as hard it is to find, we really do have
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Planet

Old 06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 16:50 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> There's a difference between:
>
> "Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. That's annoying."
>
> And:
>
> "Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. That's annoying, so let's forbid it."
>
> The former is an expression of taste, one that I might even agree with
> (although in this case I don't.)
>
> The latter is an attempt to change policy.
>
> Mo, you're getting pushback on the latter, not the former. We are all
> entitled to our opinions -- but when we use those opinions as a basis
> to change policy, then we should expect those opinions to receive
> closer scrutiny.

Thread's dead. Please. I can't take anymore.

~m

Old 06-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Robyn Bergeron

2010/6/29 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 16:50 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>> There's a difference between:
>>
>> "Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. *That's annoying."
>>
>> And:
>>
>> "Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. *That's annoying, so let's forbid it."
>>
>> The former is an expression of taste, one that I might even agree with
>> (although in this case I don't.)
>>
>> The latter is an attempt to change policy.
>>
>> Mo, you're getting pushback on the latter, not the former. *We are all
>> entitled to our opinions -- but when we use those opinions as a basis
>> to change policy, then we should expect those opinions to receive
>> closer scrutiny.
>
> Thread's dead. Please. I can't take anymore.

I think his intention was for this to post last week, as his sent date
was the 18th, but I (and I'm assuming, like you) didn't get it till
this morning.

-robyn

Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 06:24:33AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> 2010/6/29 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> > On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 16:50 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> >> There's a difference between:
> >>
> >> "Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. *That's annoying."
> >>
> >> And:
> >>
> >> "Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. *That's annoying, so let's forbid it."
> >>
> >> The former is an expression of taste, one that I might even agree with
> >> (although in this case I don't.)
> >>
> >> The latter is an attempt to change policy.
> >>
> >> Mo, you're getting pushback on the latter, not the former. *We are all
> >> entitled to our opinions -- but when we use those opinions as a basis
> >> to change policy, then we should expect those opinions to receive
> >> closer scrutiny.
> >
> > Thread's dead. Please. I can't take anymore.
>
> I think his intention was for this to post last week, as his sent date
> was the 18th, but I (and I'm assuming, like you) didn't get it till
> this morning.

This is my fault. These were sitting in the queue for some time, and
I hadn't noticed the moderator messages in my email folders.

Just discarding them seemed less transparent. They were sent a while
back and this was not the result of anyone trying to resurrect a dead
thread. Sorry for creating a bad impression.