Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Planet Fedora guidelines?

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 16:00 -0400, Steven Parrish wrote:
> Having just read this entire thread I think the confusion could have
> been avoided had you been as clear in your 1st post as you were in
> this one.

I apologize. I simply wanted to see if it bothered anyone else before
making a big stink about it. I somehow completely forgot that posting
anything on a mailing list causes a big stink.

I hate mailing lists.

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Jeff Spaleta

2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> Why do we have separate planets? Hmmm. Why don't we just have one planet
> with all contributors from all distros?

I actually think the person in question intended to have distro
specific feeds. And to be fair.. his feed has historically included
debian and centos and rhel tagged posts as well as fedora and ubuntu.
We just haven't seen those others because he's a new addition to our
planet.

From looking at the blog that he would probably welcome some advice on
how to list a fedora tag feed into our aggregator. The post in
question was not tagged as Fedora while other..more relevant posts
are. So it seems this is probably just a feed misconfiguration where
the person in question is sending out a full blog feed when the
intention was to send out a tagged feed.

-jef"Really wished there was a usable non-gender specific pronoun in
the english language when writing about someone from another cultural
when I don't know what the common boy/girl names are so can't make a
reasonable assumption to use him/her..but i digress"spaleta

Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Robyn Bergeron

> [...]
>> taken
>
> Wow, this is being blown way out of proportion to be an ubuntu-specific
> problem, or to be some deep-rooted psychosis or insecurity. It's not. I
> could really care less about posts having something to do with ubuntu
> being posted to our planet. What seems obnoxious to me is an ubuntu logo
>
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG
>
> Front and center on the planet, with two lines of content in a
> non-lingua franca language I certainly don't understand, linking to a
> site that appears to be selling something and is definitely asking for a
> lot more personal information than any free / open project would ever
> need to know.
>
> This, at the same time ubuntu themselves [1] are being attacked on
> identi.ca, I made the assumption (perhaps unfair, perhaps rash) that
> this could be a similar attack on Fedora. Certainly an account *just*
> added to planet behaving in this way seems way more suspicious than say
> a planet contributor who's at least been around for a few weeks and has
> actually made at least one post about *fedora*, who happens to make a
> random post (hopefully with enough lines of content to dwarf the hugeass

If we want to make it a requirement that people have been around a
while, then so be it. It should also be a requirement that if we're
going to make conclusions about the content people are creating - we
should probably actually look at their history and see what they've
been up to. I prefer to err on the side of giving people the benefit
of the doubt rather than assume the worst. If we do want to assume
the worst anyway, then I'd suggest a waiting period after signing the
CLA before one can have their feed aggregated into planet, for the
sole purpose of eliminating people who are going through that whole
process just to become a advertising mechanism.

This guy has been making numerous blog posts on Fedora, both on this
blog and on his previous blog. Granted, he's relatively new since
June - but he's put in a number of interesting posts, including one I
just referred sparks to on iptables configuration, as he was looking
for some information on that on the docs-list today.

TBH, his best post I've read was his last one on his previous blog -
http://tumblr.kuu.web.id/ - where he linked to planet.fp.o and said
this:

Planet Fedora

i Think this is the greatest site i ever seen

-Robyn

Old 06-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Máirín Duffy

> From looking at the blog that he would probably welcome some advice on
> how to list a fedora tag feed into our aggregator. The post in
> question was not tagged as Fedora while other..more relevant posts
> are. So it seems this is probably just a feed misconfiguration where
> the person in question is sending out a full blog feed when the
> intention was to send out a tagged feed.

It certainly would be nice if a poster's contact information was easily
obtainable from their planet listing. In many cases people turn off
commenting (and from experience I really can't blame them), but even if
not sometimes it comes off a little aggressive / confrontational to talk
to the person about the content of their blog in the public comment
system.

People can choose whatever name they want for their feed, and sometimes
that name is not their real-life name, or is not something that can be
used to look up their identity and contact information in FAS.

Maybe adding a link to planet feeds for contact information for the
poster would be nice. And having a note somewhere that if you take issue
with a blog post's appropriateness for the planet, to use the private
contact link (which maybe takes you to a FAS login page, where you login
and then it provides the FAS public contact info for the poster) to talk
to the person.

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 03:53:44PM -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:53 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > If this discussion were happening on an Ubuntu list because they were
> > butthurt about a Fedora contributor joining their planet and put up a
> > huge Fedora logo, I'd be having a damned fine laugh at their expense.
> >
> It would be perfectly rational for them to be bothered by it if that was
> the case.
>
> Why do we have separate planets? Hmmm. Why don't we just have one planet
> with all contributors from all distros?
>
> > Instead, *we* come across as being butthurt about Ooboontoo. Plain
> > and simple. Makes me sad.
>
> > But if we can't envision a situation in which a post with a gigantic
> > ooboontoo logo might just belong on the Fedora planet from time to
> > time, then I think we're being reactionary and insecure. And this
> > isn't just Mo, either. I think a deep insecurity about ooboontoo has
> > taken
>
> Wow, this is being blown way out of proportion to be an ubuntu-specific
> problem, or to be some deep-rooted psychosis or insecurity. It's not. I
> could really care less about posts having something to do with ubuntu
> being posted to our planet. What seems obnoxious to me is an ubuntu logo
>
> THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG THISBIG

So, I think people didn't understand that at all -- In your original phrase:

"Is it just me who takes issue with a 400x400 px ubuntu logo on the top
Planet Fedora?"

I definitely read the emphasis on "ubuntu" rather than "400x400 px". Sorry
for that.

The image is actually scaled to 272x275px (the html tags specify a width and
height) so its in the range of the "I voted" Fedora stickers which are 25
x 250px

I don't have a problem with us showing images of this size. Pictures
displayed on the planet are often even bigger. If we want to have some
guidance about how large a photo or logo could be and not break our CSS,
I guess we could but unless the image is designed to make user's machines
unusable due to large memory needs to display it, it seems like something
more in the matter of good or bad aesthetic sense rather than something we
should be saying you must or must not do.

-Toshio

Old 06-18-2010, 08:42 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 13:32 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> If we want to make it a requirement that people have been around a
> while, then so be it. It should also be a requirement that if we're
> going to make conclusions about the content people are creating - we
> should probably actually look at their history and see what they've
> been up to.

This is a bit of a challenge when you don't understand the language the
majority of the person's posts are written in.

> I prefer to err on the side of giving people the benefit
> of the doubt rather than assume the worst. If we do want to assume
> the worst anyway, then I'd suggest a waiting period after signing the
> CLA before one can have their feed aggregated into planet, for the
> sole purpose of eliminating people who are going through that whole
> process just to become a advertising mechanism.

Or maybe something like identi.ca has - they have a big problem with
advertisers signing up for accounts and spamming people - individual
identi.ca feeds have a 'flag' button, if someone is abusing the system
you can flag them and someone will check out their account. We could
have a flag system where if the blog feed is problematic it can be
de-listed.

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Toshio Kuratomi

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:24:40PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> 2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> > Why do we have separate planets? Hmmm. Why don't we just have one planet
> > with all contributors from all distros?
>
> I actually think the person in question intended to have distro
> specific feeds. And to be fair.. his feed has historically included
> debian and centos and rhel tagged posts as well as fedora and ubuntu.
> We just haven't seen those others because he's a new addition to our
> planet.
>

> From looking at the blog that he would probably welcome some advice on
> how to list a fedora tag feed into our aggregator. The post in
> question was not tagged as Fedora while other..more relevant posts
> are. So it seems this is probably just a feed misconfiguration where
> the person in question is sending out a full blog feed when the
> intention was to send out a tagged feed.
>
> -jef"Really wished there was a usable non-gender specific pronoun in
> the english language when writing about someone from another cultural
> when I don't know what the common boy/girl names are so can't make a
> reasonable assumption to use him/her..but i digress"spaleta

"they" has made a come-back (historically, it was both a plural and singular
pronoun) within some circles.

-Toshio "And now I'll sit in a corner with my off-topicness" Kuratomi

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Jeff Spaleta

2010/6/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org>:
> Maybe adding a link to planet feeds for contact information for the
> poster would be nice. And having a note somewhere that if you take issue
> with a blog post's appropriateness for the planet, to use the private
> contact link (which maybe takes you to a FAS login page, where you login
> and then it provides the FAS public contact info for the poster) to talk
> to the person.

Yes, I think its quite reasonable that people provide contact
information if they want to use our planet and be prepared to
participate in a discussion about their content from other
contributors if and when their content is deemed questionable by
another contributor.

Social norms are a touchy issue for sure... as they are fluid. But if
contributors aren't obliged to leave communication channels open for
other contributors to provide feedback..then everything will end up
escalating into some sort of strictly mandated punitive action to
reach a resolution.

-jef"Now excuse me I have to go write some LA Lakers fan blog articles
to syndicate to a few Boston Celtics fan planets"spaleta

Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Toshio,

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 16:42 -0400, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> "Is it just me who takes issue with a 400x400 px ubuntu logo on the top
> Planet Fedora?"
>
> I definitely read the emphasis on "ubuntu" rather than "400x400 px". Sorry
> for that.

It's not one or the other though. It's both in combination. I realize
now I'm probably quite irrational. But I don't think I would have been
nearly as upset with an ubuntu logo if it wasn't that large. Nor would I
have been as upset with a picture that large if it wasn't the logo of
another distro.

Logos are rarely scaled that large on a webpage, so to my eye it reads
like shouting.

~m

Old 06-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Greg DeKoenigsberg

There's a difference between:

"Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. That's annoying."

And:

"Dude, huge Ubuntu logo. That's annoying, so let's forbid it."

The former is an expression of taste, one that I might even agree with
(although in this case I don't.)

The latter is an attempt to change policy.

Mo, you're getting pushback on the latter, not the former. We are all
entitled to our opinions -- but when we use those opinions as a basis
to change policy, then we should expect those opinions to receive
closer scrutiny.

--g