Old 05-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Which list for community gaming session announcements?

I figured it was time to look at where Community Gmaing Session announcements
so be sent for the near term future.

The first message was sent to the users list (I was worried that too many
people might show up) and the other 3 to the announce list. For the first
and second sessions I also made sure the FWN people knew about them.

Going forward I still want to send out email announcements, but I am not
sure whether they should go to users or announce or perhaps some other list.

The intent (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_Gaming) is to use games
as a way for members of the Fedora Community to socialize and hence the
games list (IMO) isn't is too narrow.

I still want to send out announcements as the sessions are not happening
every week. (No one else has volunteered to sponsor a session on their
own and I can't commit to running them myself every week.) Also I have
tried two time slots so far and could potentially try another if there
was a reason to believe it would help attendence.

While announce hits a good chunk of the target audience, considering the
low turn out and the fact that there have been three announcements giving
the web page where future and past sessions are tracked, I am not sure it's
appropriate to continue sending messages there and instead should be sending
them to the user list (and giving the FWN people a heads up so that they
cover it).

Suggestions?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Greg DeKoenigsberg

> While announce hits a good chunk of the target audience, considering the
> low turn out and the fact that there have been three announcements giving
> the web page where future and past sessions are tracked, I am not sure it's
> appropriate to continue sending messages there and instead should be sending
> them to the user list (and giving the FWN people a heads up so that they
> cover it).
>
> Suggestions?

I like FWN, and Fedora Planet, as announces.

Actually, I kinda like fedora-announce too, but agree that it may not
be the best venue.

I keep meaning to show up for one of these, but my schedule has been
pretty crazy of late.

--g

Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 06:06:37PM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > While announce hits a good chunk of the target audience, considering the
> > low turn out and the fact that there have been three announcements giving
> > the web page where future and past sessions are tracked, I am not sure it's
> > appropriate to continue sending messages there and instead should be sending
> > them to the user list (and giving the FWN people a heads up so that they
> > cover it).
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> I like FWN, and Fedora Planet, as announces.
>
> Actually, I kinda like fedora-announce too, but agree that it may not
> be the best venue.
>
> I keep meaning to show up for one of these, but my schedule has been
> pretty crazy of late.

I'm not opposed to the 'announce' list either, but I agree that
'users' may be more effective. I'd also add the Fedora Forum to your
list. FWN gets picked up there but a separate announcement post might
help attract more attention as well.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:04:45 -0400,
"Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not opposed to the 'announce' list either, but I agree that
> 'users' may be more effective. I'd also add the Fedora Forum to your
> list. FWN gets picked up there but a separate announcement post might
> help attract more attention as well.

I'll use the users list this time around and will most likely post in the
forums as well, assuming there aren't any complications (I normally don't
use them).

I'm pretty sure I am going to commit to bzflag this Saturday, but will make
a file decision this evening.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:03 PM
threethirty

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 12:23 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:04:45 -0400,
> "Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not opposed to the 'announce' list either, but I agree that
> > 'users' may be more effective. I'd also add the Fedora Forum to your
> > list. FWN gets picked up there but a separate announcement post might
> > help attract more attention as well.
>
> I'll use the users list this time around and will most likely post in the
> forums as well, assuming there aren't any complications (I normally don't
> use them).
>
> I'm pretty sure I am going to commit to bzflag this Saturday, but will make
> a file decision this evening.

Bruno:

Are you on identi.ca? there is a fedora group on there (!fedora) that is
open to the public. If you keep the message short enough social media
addicts like me can "redent" it and reach other audiences.

--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador & Marketing Team Member

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed in this email are my own, not those
of my employer. My opinions are also not necessarily the opinions of
any organization with which I have a volunteer affiliation.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 14:03:13 -0400,
threethirty <three@threethirty.us> wrote:

> Bruno:
>
> Are you on identi.ca? there is a fedora group on there (!fedora) that is
> open to the public. If you keep the message short enough social media
> addicts like me can "redent" it and reach other audiences.

No, but the essence of the message is the session information on the
community gaming wiki page. Once I set a hard date and time for Session 5,
you could point people to that page.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:04:45 -0400,
"Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not opposed to the 'announce' list either, but I agree that
> 'users' may be more effective. I'd also add the Fedora Forum to your
> list. FWN gets picked up there but a separate announcement post might
> help attract more attention as well.

I don't seem to be able to start threads under News. Was there somewhere
else I was supposed to post these?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Paul Frields

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:04:45 -0400,
> *"Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not opposed to the 'announce' list either, but I agree that
>> 'users' may be more effective. *I'd also add the Fedora Forum to your
>> list. *FWN gets picked up there but a separate announcement post might
>> help attract more attention as well.
>
> I don't seem to be able to start threads under News. Was there somewhere
> else I was supposed to post these?

You should be able to send a message to the FF.o admins to request a
post there, I believe.

Paul

Old 06-03-2010, 12:02 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 01:10:49PM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 14:03:13 -0400,
> threethirty <three@threethirty.us> wrote:
> >
> > Bruno:
> >
> > Are you on identi.ca? there is a fedora group on there (!fedora) that is
> > open to the public. If you keep the message short enough social media
> > addicts like me can "redent" it and reach other audiences.
>
> No, but the essence of the message is the session information on the
> community gaming wiki page. Once I set a hard date and time for Session 5,
> you could point people to that page.

By the way, not sure if everyone's aware of this, but a Fedora
Marketing team member drew my attention to it earlier and I thought it
was worth passing on. If you want to shorten a URL with a 100% FOSS
service, you can use either of the ur1.ca or 2tu.us sites. ur1.ca
runs lilURL and is hosted by the good people at StatusNet (home of
identi.ca), and 2tu.us runs on TightURL.

This might come in useful for posting URLs for your announcements.