Old 05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default idea: suggestion box

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:56:32 -0600,
Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:

> This would be a way for people to anonymously submit suggestions or
> ideas to Fedora for consideration. It could either be a web based

If this happens please be explicit about what we promise with regard to
anonymity. It is hard to provide true anonimity. Mostly we would be
promising not to look at logs and the like unless required to by law
enforcement or the like.

> What do people think of this idea?

I don't know that the effort spent doing this will be worth it compared to
other things we can do. I can't see getting a lot of valuable ideas submitted
here that we wouldn't get via some other route. And it's not just the one
time creation cost (which someone may want to do as a learning experiment),
but there is a significant on going cost to review potential suggestions,
that will most likely be coming from bots.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:06 PM
"Justin M. Forbes"

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:56:32AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I was thinking it might be a nice idea to have Fedora Engineering
> Services create for us a "Fedora Suggestion Box".
>
> This would be a way for people to anonymously submit suggestions or
> ideas to Fedora for consideration. It could either be a web based
> form/app (which would have the advantage of letting us use captchas or
> the like and also let us explain what sort of suggestions we want, one
> suggestion per submit, etc), or a email address (which would get a lot
> more spam, but be easier for folks), or I suppose both.
>
> We then have a group of folks look through the submissions and:
>
> - Drop obvious spam
> - Drop obvious things Fedora will never do (ship non free software,
> mp3, legal changes, etc).
> - Drop things that don't have an actual suggestion in them.
> - Send the rest to a list for interested parties in fedora (Board,
> FESCo, SIGs, etc) to look at and consider.
>
> There would be no promise that a suggestion would be acted on or looked
> at, but I think we might end up getting some ideas here that would
> would not otherwise get (due to people not knowing where to suggest, or
> being afraid they will look foolish, or thinking that their views in
> other venues have been ignored).
>
> Of course we could also get a lot of things we can't act on or use.
>
> What do people think of this idea?

While I am not totally against the idea, I do wonder why there is need for
anonymity. Anyone wanting to anonymously suggest something could
accomplish the same thing by using a different email address, but why?
People should take credit for their suggestions, good or bad.

Justin

Old 05-06-2010, 04:56 AM
inode0

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Justin M. Forbes <jmforbes@linuxtx.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:56:32AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> What do people think of this idea?
>
> While I am not totally against the idea, I do wonder why there is need for
> anonymity. *Anyone wanting to anonymously suggest something could
> accomplish the same thing by using a different email address, but why?
> People should take credit for their suggestions, good or bad.

Making an anonymous suggestion gives me hope that you won't be
influenced when thinking about it by remembering all my previous bad
suggestions.

John

Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
Paul Frields

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 12:56 AM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM, Justin M. Forbes <jmforbes@linuxtx.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:56:32AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>> What do people think of this idea?
>>
>> While I am not totally against the idea, I do wonder why there is need for
>> anonymity. *Anyone wanting to anonymously suggest something could
>> accomplish the same thing by using a different email address, but why?
>> People should take credit for their suggestions, good or bad.
>
> Making an anonymous suggestion gives me hope that you won't be
> influenced when thinking about it by remembering all my previous bad
> suggestions.

That might work in my favor too. :-)

Paul

Old 05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
threethirty

On Wed, 2010-05-05 at 11:06 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:56:32 -0600,
> Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:
> >
> > This would be a way for people to anonymously submit suggestions or
> > ideas to Fedora for consideration. It could either be a web based
>
> If this happens please be explicit about what we promise with regard to
> anonymity. It is hard to provide true anonimity. Mostly we would be
> promising not to look at logs and the like unless required to by law
> enforcement or the like.
>
> > What do people think of this idea?
>
> I don't know that the effort spent doing this will be worth it compared to
> other things we can do. I can't see getting a lot of valuable ideas submitted
> here that we wouldn't get via some other route. And it's not just the one
> time creation cost (which someone may want to do as a learning experiment),
> but there is a significant on going cost to review potential suggestions,
> that will most likely be coming from bots.

I really like this idea and think that it would be a great way to get
honest (if not brutally honest) feedback. Yes there will be troll...
there are trolls everywhere, we can't let trolls ruin good ideas.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:56:32AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I was thinking it might be a nice idea to have Fedora Engineering
> Services create for us a "Fedora Suggestion Box".
>
> This would be a way for people to anonymously submit suggestions or
> ideas to Fedora for consideration. It could either be a web based
> form/app (which would have the advantage of letting us use captchas or
> the like and also let us explain what sort of suggestions we want, one
> suggestion per submit, etc), or a email address (which would get a lot
> more spam, but be easier for folks), or I suppose both.
>
> We then have a group of folks look through the submissions and:
>
> - Drop obvious spam
> - Drop obvious things Fedora will never do (ship non free software,
> mp3, legal changes, etc).
> - Drop things that don't have an actual suggestion in them.
> - Send the rest to a list for interested parties in fedora (Board,
> FESCo, SIGs, etc) to look at and consider.
>
> There would be no promise that a suggestion would be acted on or looked
> at, but I think we might end up getting some ideas here that would
> would not otherwise get (due to people not knowing where to suggest, or
> being afraid they will look foolish, or thinking that their views in
> other venues have been ignored).
>
> Of course we could also get a lot of things we can't act on or use.
>
> What do people think of this idea?

Kevin, although it's not directly related, I had a different idea that
would use a Web-based submission system, feeding a queue, require
moderation for that queue, and then processing in some way. I'm
betting that general capability would be useful in a number of ways
beyond the Suggestion Box, since its common to both your idea and
mine. Mine's not fully baked yet and I need to work out a few more
details before it's worth proposing in full. But if my idea was
worthwhile too, then developing the common piece becomes even more
valuable and a Suggestion Box has less cost overall.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Rahul Sundaram

I was thinking it might be a nice idea to have Fedora Engineering

Services create for us a "Fedora Suggestion Box".
You can use ideatorrent for this as it is quite a close fit
http://ideatorrent.org

Rahul
*

Old 05-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Fri, 7 May 2010 18:19:14 -0400
"Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin, although it's not directly related, I had a different idea that
> would use a Web-based submission system, feeding a queue, require
> moderation for that queue, and then processing in some way. I'm
> betting that general capability would be useful in a number of ways
> beyond the Suggestion Box, since its common to both your idea and
> mine. Mine's not fully baked yet and I need to work out a few more
> details before it's worth proposing in full. But if my idea was
> worthwhile too, then developing the common piece becomes even more
> valuable and a Suggestion Box has less cost overall.

Yeah, that sounds great... if there is something else that could use
this setup as well, it would be easier to try and get resources for
both of them.

There's no timeframe I was thinking of for a suggestion box, so perhaps
this will work out to be possible with this other work you are thinking
of.

kevin

Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sat, 8 May 2010 23:18:14 +0530
Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I was thinking it might be a nice idea to have Fedora Engineering
> > Services create for us a "Fedora Suggestion Box".
>

> You can use ideatorrent for this as it is quite a close fit
>
> http://ideatorrent.org

Interesting, but I'm not sure I want all that.

I don't know that voting and having a full blown ideastorm like site is
that great. I think it lends into having a lot of people expect that
ideas that are "voted" the highest will automagically be worked on,
when it's not really the case.

kevin

Old 05-11-2010, 12:46 AM
Mike McGrath

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> On Sat, 8 May 2010 23:18:14 +0530
> Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@tummy.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings.
> > >
> > > I was thinking it might be a nice idea to have Fedora Engineering
> > > Services create for us a "Fedora Suggestion Box".
> >

> > You can use ideatorrent for this as it is quite a close fit
> >
> > http://ideatorrent.org
>
> Interesting, but I'm not sure I want all that.
>
> I don't know that voting and having a full blown ideastorm like site is
> that great. I think it lends into having a lot of people expect that
> ideas that are "voted" the highest will automagically be worked on,
> when it's not really the case.

This brings up an interesting counter point. Perhaps we shouldn't be
accepting ideas until we have more willing and able workers?

-Mike