Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora Advisory Board (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/)
-   -   Rotating team meetings (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/359687-rotating-team-meetings.html)

"Paul W. Frields" 04-21-2010 01:15 AM

Rotating team meetings
 
The Board members and I are interested in helping the project work
toward making things better for the user base. We discussed this
topic at our previous meeting, and one of the ideas that came out of
that meeting was a biweekly, rotating session, during which a
different Fedora team representative could meet with the Board
publicly on IRC.

The Board has been conducting public meetings on IRC for some time
now. While we've been happy to hold a Q&A session there, it seems
like often we could be better using that time to provide better
coordination across teams, especially since we often have few Q&A
topics that couldn't be answered here on the list. I know there are
several team leaders present on this list, so I put this question to
them:

If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? What
would you want to come out of such a meeting?


--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Jeff Spaleta 04-21-2010 01:28 AM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? *What
> would you want to come out of such a meeting?


Side note. I've got lernid up and running on Fedora 13. You, and
others, might be interested in seeing how lernid performs as a general
participant interface for these sort of Q&A meetings.

I'm going to spin up some lernid packages this evening and put
together a temporary event url. I'd like to put the next Q&A meeting
in the event que and get some feedback from people trying to use
lernid as a primary interface for general participants.

-jef
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

"Paul W. Frields" 04-21-2010 02:55 PM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 05:28:38PM -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? *What
> > would you want to come out of such a meeting?
>
>
> Side note. I've got lernid up and running on Fedora 13. You, and
> others, might be interested in seeing how lernid performs as a general
> participant interface for these sort of Q&A meetings.
>
> I'm going to spin up some lernid packages this evening and put
> together a temporary event url. I'd like to put the next Q&A meeting
> in the event que and get some feedback from people trying to use
> lernid as a primary interface for general participants.

Interesting idea, Jef -- if we had a canonical location where the
community could post event information that could be drawn in by
Lernid, I think it would be a fine idea to try it out. I admit I
don't know much about the app other than what I've seen blogged. Does
the app allow the user to dynamically add in other sources of event
information, like an "Add URL" function?

--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Jeff Spaleta 04-21-2010 04:02 PM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Does the app allow the user to dynamically add in other sources of event
> information, like an "Add URL" function?

For event definitions...not yet.. the event definition url and the
irc server are still hardwired afaict. Let me put up a demo packages
with a working event definition url out of my people space.

-jef
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Kevin Fenzi 04-21-2010 08:54 PM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:15:24 -0400
"Paul W. Frields" <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> The Board members and I are interested in helping the project work
> toward making things better for the user base. We discussed this
> topic at our previous meeting, and one of the ideas that came out of
> that meeting was a biweekly, rotating session, during which a
> different Fedora team representative could meet with the Board
> publicly on IRC.
>
> The Board has been conducting public meetings on IRC for some time
> now. While we've been happy to hold a Q&A session there, it seems
> like often we could be better using that time to provide better
> coordination across teams, especially since we often have few Q&A
> topics that couldn't be answered here on the list. I know there are
> several team leaders present on this list, so I put this question to
> them:
>
> If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? What
> would you want to come out of such a meeting?

I think it could be a good idea, and I would try and attend.

This is related/similar to a Fedora Engineering Services ticket I
filed:

https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-engineering-services/ticket/2

basically I was hoping to gather a list of SIGs that are still active
and ones that are not so active, and then get a contact from all the
active ones to write up a monthly (or whatever) blurb on what their SIG
was doing and what things they could use, etc.

Many of the SIGs I don't see or interact with, so I don't know what
they are doing or what I could help with or if I should try and point
people to them to work in their area or what.

Anyhow, I think more communication is good and support increasing it.

kevin




_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Robyn Bergeron 04-22-2010 09:57 PM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Board members and I are interested in helping the project work
> toward making things better for the user base. *We discussed this
> topic at our previous meeting, and one of the ideas that came out of
> that meeting was a biweekly, rotating session, during which a
> different Fedora team representative could meet with the Board
> publicly on IRC.
>
> The Board has been conducting public meetings on IRC for some time
> now. *While we've been happy to hold a Q&A session there, it seems
> like often we could be better using that time to provide better
> coordination across teams, especially since we often have few Q&A
> topics that couldn't be answered here on the list. *I know there are
> several team leaders present on this list, so I put this question to
> them:
>
> If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? *What
> would you want to come out of such a meeting?


Yes. I think for marketing, at least, it would be interesting to be
able to present things like a marketing plan and/or a deliverables
roadmap and get input from the other teams. Having an opportunity to
talk about it in a forum with people from other teams gives us a
chance to identify things like:

* crossover - "hey, we're doing the same thing, or had the same idea"
* scheduling discussions - are we allowing enough time for X to
happen, before Y in other groups needs to happen, particularly with
new processes
* how groups can service each other - what can marketing do to help
advertise things like "we need people to come to test days," or "we
would love to have people be helping do documentation" - or how can
marketing get help doing translations? There are numerous pockets of
brainpower in different groups that aren't getting a lot of exposure
to each other - and therefore aren't finding out what we can all do
for each other.
* please tell us where we're lacking.


-robyn

>
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *http://paul.frields.org/
> *gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 *5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
> *http://redhat.com/ * - *- *- *- * http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
> * * * * *Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
> _______________________________________________
> advisory-board mailing list
> advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board
>
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Paul Frields 04-23-2010 11:51 AM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Robyn Bergeron
<robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The Board members and I are interested in helping the project work
>> toward making things better for the user base. *We discussed this
>> topic at our previous meeting, and one of the ideas that came out of
>> that meeting was a biweekly, rotating session, during which a
>> different Fedora team representative could meet with the Board
>> publicly on IRC.
>>
>> The Board has been conducting public meetings on IRC for some time
>> now. *While we've been happy to hold a Q&A session there, it seems
>> like often we could be better using that time to provide better
>> coordination across teams, especially since we often have few Q&A
>> topics that couldn't be answered here on the list. *I know there are
>> several team leaders present on this list, so I put this question to
>> them:
>>
>> If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? *What
>> would you want to come out of such a meeting?
>
>
> Yes. *I think for marketing, at least, it would be interesting to be
> able to present things like a marketing plan and/or a deliverables
> roadmap and get input from the other teams. *Having an opportunity to
> talk about it in a forum with people from other teams gives us a
> chance to identify things like:
>
> * crossover - "hey, we're doing the same thing, or had the same idea"
> * scheduling discussions - are we allowing enough time for X to
> happen, before Y in other groups needs to happen, particularly with
> new processes
> * how groups can service each other - what can marketing do to help
> advertise things like "we need people to come to test days," or "we
> would love to have people be helping do documentation" - or how can
> marketing get help doing translations? There are numerous pockets of
> brainpower in different groups that aren't getting a lot of exposure
> to each other - and therefore aren't finding out what we can all do
> for each other.
> * please tell us where we're lacking.

OK, what you're describing is somewhat different from what I had in
mind. I was describing having a single team's representative for each
of these meetings, as opposed to a sort of project-wide roundtable.

That doesn't mean your idea's not good. I don't think anyone expects
team members, or even just leads for that matter, to be subscribed all
across the board to every other team's mailing list. Also, we need to
remember that IRC can be a detriment in some cases because not all the
teams leads could participate at a given time.

We have a logistics@ list that's for cross-team coordination though,
and it's very low traffic. Would it be possible to have the
discussions you're talking about on that list? That makes things both
asynchronous and open.

Paul
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

"Paul W. Frields" 04-28-2010 08:32 PM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 07:51:52AM -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Robyn Bergeron
> <robyn.bergeron@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> The Board members and I are interested in helping the project work
> >> toward making things better for the user base. *We discussed this
> >> topic at our previous meeting, and one of the ideas that came out of
> >> that meeting was a biweekly, rotating session, during which a
> >> different Fedora team representative could meet with the Board
> >> publicly on IRC.
> >>
> >> The Board has been conducting public meetings on IRC for some time
> >> now. *While we've been happy to hold a Q&A session there, it seems
> >> like often we could be better using that time to provide better
> >> coordination across teams, especially since we often have few Q&A
> >> topics that couldn't be answered here on the list. *I know there are
> >> several team leaders present on this list, so I put this question to
> >> them:
> >>
> >> If we set up this kind of meeting, would you be interested? *What
> >> would you want to come out of such a meeting?
> >
> >
> > Yes. *I think for marketing, at least, it would be interesting to be
> > able to present things like a marketing plan and/or a deliverables
> > roadmap and get input from the other teams. *Having an opportunity to
> > talk about it in a forum with people from other teams gives us a
> > chance to identify things like:
> >
> > * crossover - "hey, we're doing the same thing, or had the same idea"
> > * scheduling discussions - are we allowing enough time for X to
> > happen, before Y in other groups needs to happen, particularly with
> > new processes
> > * how groups can service each other - what can marketing do to help
> > advertise things like "we need people to come to test days," or "we
> > would love to have people be helping do documentation" - or how can
> > marketing get help doing translations? There are numerous pockets of
> > brainpower in different groups that aren't getting a lot of exposure
> > to each other - and therefore aren't finding out what we can all do
> > for each other.
> > * please tell us where we're lacking.
>
> OK, what you're describing is somewhat different from what I had in
> mind. I was describing having a single team's representative for each
> of these meetings, as opposed to a sort of project-wide roundtable.
>
> That doesn't mean your idea's not good. I don't think anyone expects
> team members, or even just leads for that matter, to be subscribed all
> across the board to every other team's mailing list. Also, we need to
> remember that IRC can be a detriment in some cases because not all the
> teams leads could participate at a given time.
>
> We have a logistics@ list that's for cross-team coordination though,
> and it's very low traffic. Would it be possible to have the
> discussions you're talking about on that list? That makes things both
> asynchronous and open.

I'd like to get this to some sort of actionable conclusion. Right
now, we have two thumbs up, albeit one of them for a slightly
different idea than what we had in mind. Here's what I would want to
achieve with such a meeting:

* Inform the Board and the community about one or two goals that one
specific team has for the next 1-2 releases to improve Fedora,
either the project or the distribution, for the entire user base,
including our current contributors.

* Identify what that team thinks might block them from doing that, and
if possible, what the Board can do to remove those blockages.

The Board talked about broad vision in our last meeting. As part of
that process, we agreed that it was vital to talk to teams in Fedora
about what they see as missing or lacking. If we can identify those
problems, then not only is that broad vision more likely to include
our contributors, but we can do a better job of unifying the people in
the Project around some substantial but achievable goals. And just as
importantly, *measurable* goals, even if they're as simple as "did we
produce this new system/feature/process?".


--
Paul W. Frields http://paul.frields.org/
gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233 5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
http://redhat.com/ - - - - http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com
_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board

Chris Tyler 04-29-2010 03:42 AM

Rotating team meetings
 
On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 16:32 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I'd like to get this to some sort of actionable conclusion. Right
> now, we have two thumbs up, albeit one of them for a slightly
> different idea than what we had in mind. Here's what I would want to
> achieve with such a meeting:
>
> * Inform the Board and the community about one or two goals that one
> specific team has for the next 1-2 releases to improve Fedora,
> either the project or the distribution, for the entire user base,
> including our current contributors.
>
> * Identify what that team thinks might block them from doing that, and
> if possible, what the Board can do to remove those blockages.
>
> The Board talked about broad vision in our last meeting. As part of
> that process, we agreed that it was vital to talk to teams in Fedora
> about what they see as missing or lacking. If we can identify those
> problems, then not only is that broad vision more likely to include
> our contributors, but we can do a better job of unifying the people in
> the Project around some substantial but achievable goals. And just as
> importantly, *measurable* goals, even if they're as simple as "did we
> produce this new system/feature/process?".

I think this is definitely worth a shot, and we'll know after a couple
of meetings whether we should continue/adjust/abandon the approach.

-Chris

_______________________________________________
advisory-board mailing list
advisory-board@lists.fedoraproject.org
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/advisory-board


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:44 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.