-   -   Fedora and MeeGo (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-advisory-board/357318-fedora-meego.html)

Peter Robinson 04-15-2010 12:43 PM

Fedora and MeeGo

Hi FAB,

Rahul bought up on the marketing list [1] a question as to why Fedora
wasn't listed in the MeeGo release announcement as part of the MeeGo
community announcement [2].

Being the maintainer of Moblin (hopefully soon to be MeeGo as soon as
the code is released) I had two reasons why it wasn't. Firstly I
didn't know and the MeeGo community from the corporate side of things
seems like a Private Gentleman's Club that you need to know the secret
handshake to become a member of (basically I'm naive when it comes to
vendor inter realationships). Secondly I feel that it needs some form
of board and legal agreement that its something Fedora wishes to
pursue and that I don't have the authority to commit to that sort of
thing.

So I ask the question is this something Fedora is interested in and
who needs to do it. I can assist from the tech side of things but I
feel the rest is probably best coming from someone else.

Cheers,
Peter

[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-April/012453.html
[2] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/node/6145

"Paul W. Frields" 04-15-2010 02:57 PM

Fedora and MeeGo

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 01:43:34PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi FAB,
>
> Rahul bought up on the marketing list [1] a question as to why Fedora
> wasn't listed in the MeeGo release announcement as part of the MeeGo
> community announcement [2].
>
> Being the maintainer of Moblin (hopefully soon to be MeeGo as soon as
> the code is released) I had two reasons why it wasn't. Firstly I
> didn't know and the MeeGo community from the corporate side of things
> seems like a Private Gentleman's Club that you need to know the secret
> handshake to become a member of (basically I'm naive when it comes to
> vendor inter realationships). Secondly I feel that it needs some form
> of board and legal agreement that its something Fedora wishes to
> pursue and that I don't have the authority to commit to that sort of
> thing.
>
> So I ask the question is this something Fedora is interested in and
> who needs to do it. I can assist from the tech side of things but I
> feel the rest is probably best coming from someone else.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter
>
> [1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-April/012453.html
> [2] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/node/6145

Thanks for this heads-up Peter -- I've sent a note along to one of the
MeeGo principals at the Linux Foundation, to inquire whether the
Fedora Project is welcome to offer its support to the list found in
that press release. I'm interested in having Fedora provide a
ready-to-run Fedora spin that shows off MeeGo technologies, and I know
you've been working previously on doing that for Moblin, and now for
MeeGo. Much appreciated!

The other entities do appear to be commercial ventures, so if for some
reason the LF is not interested, it's possible the answer may be
different for Red Hat. If that's so, I'll bring this up with the
appropriate contact points at Red Hat.

I think the Fedora Project's free-in-all-senses offering is something
that really does help promote MeeGo technologies, so I hope we'll get
a receptive answer. When that happens the Board and I will work up an
appropriate statement with you -- does that work?

Peter Robinson 04-15-2010 03:22 PM

Fedora and MeeGo

Hi Paul,

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 01:43:34PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Hi FAB,
>>
>> Rahul bought up on the marketing list [1] a question as to why Fedora
>> wasn't listed in the MeeGo release announcement as part of the MeeGo
>> community announcement [2].
>>
>> Being the maintainer of Moblin (hopefully soon to be MeeGo as soon as
>> the code is released) I had two reasons why it wasn't. Firstly I
>> didn't know and the MeeGo community from the corporate side of things
>> seems like a Private Gentleman's Club that you need to know the secret
>> handshake to become a member of (basically I'm naive when it comes to
>> vendor inter realationships). Secondly I feel that it needs some form
>> of board and legal agreement that its something Fedora wishes to
>> pursue and that I don't have the authority to commit to that sort of
>> thing.
>>
>> So I ask the question is this something Fedora is interested in and
>> who needs to do it. I can assist from the tech side of things but I
>> feel the rest is probably best coming from someone else.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Peter
>>
>> [1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-April/012453.html
>> [2] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/node/6145
>
> Thanks for this heads-up Peter -- I've sent a note along to one of the
> MeeGo principals at the Linux Foundation, to inquire whether the
> Fedora Project is welcome to offer its support to the list found in
> that press release. *I'm interested in having Fedora provide a
> ready-to-run Fedora spin that shows off MeeGo technologies, and I know
> you've been working previously on doing that for Moblin, and now for
> MeeGo. *Much appreciated!
>
> The other entities do appear to be commercial ventures, so if for some
> reason the LF is not interested, it's possible the answer may be
> different for Red Hat. *If that's so, I'll bring this up with the
> appropriate contact points at Red Hat.
>
> I think the Fedora Project's free-in-all-senses offering is something
> that really does help promote MeeGo technologies, so I hope we'll get
> a receptive answer. *When that happens the Board and I will work up an
> appropriate statement with you -- does that work?

I agree, especially as its now part of the Linux Foundation. Also
while there have been quite significant changes to the Fedora base
they started from (like sysvinit no longer exists) the fact they used
the Fedora 12 ARM support to boot strap their ARM port shows that
there's still reasonable cross over between the platforms.

Let me know where I can help out.

Cheers,
Peter

"Paul W. Frields" 05-12-2010 08:18 PM

Fedora and MeeGo

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 04:22:38PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 01:43:34PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Hi FAB,
> >>
> >> Rahul bought up on the marketing list [1] a question as to why Fedora
> >> wasn't listed in the MeeGo release announcement as part of the MeeGo
> >> community announcement [2].
> >>
> >> Being the maintainer of Moblin (hopefully soon to be MeeGo as soon as
> >> the code is released) I had two reasons why it wasn't. Firstly I
> >> didn't know and the MeeGo community from the corporate side of things
> >> seems like a Private Gentleman's Club that you need to know the secret
> >> handshake to become a member of (basically I'm naive when it comes to
> >> vendor inter realationships). Secondly I feel that it needs some form
> >> of board and legal agreement that its something Fedora wishes to
> >> pursue and that I don't have the authority to commit to that sort of
> >> thing.
> >>
> >> So I ask the question is this something Fedora is interested in and
> >> who needs to do it. I can assist from the tech side of things but I
> >> feel the rest is probably best coming from someone else.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Peter
> >>
> >> [1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-April/012453.html
> >> [2] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/node/6145
> >
> > Thanks for this heads-up Peter -- I've sent a note along to one of the
> > MeeGo principals at the Linux Foundation, to inquire whether the
> > Fedora Project is welcome to offer its support to the list found in
> > that press release. *I'm interested in having Fedora provide a
> > ready-to-run Fedora spin that shows off MeeGo technologies, and I know
> > you've been working previously on doing that for Moblin, and now for
> > MeeGo. *Much appreciated!
> >
> > The other entities do appear to be commercial ventures, so if for some
> > reason the LF is not interested, it's possible the answer may be
> > different for Red Hat. *If that's so, I'll bring this up with the
> > appropriate contact points at Red Hat.
> >
> > I think the Fedora Project's free-in-all-senses offering is something
> > that really does help promote MeeGo technologies, so I hope we'll get
> > a receptive answer. *When that happens the Board and I will work up an
> > appropriate statement with you -- does that work?
>
> I agree, especially as its now part of the Linux Foundation. Also
> while there have been quite significant changes to the Fedora base
> they started from (like sysvinit no longer exists) the fact they used
> the Fedora 12 ARM support to boot strap their ARM port shows that
> there's still reasonable cross over between the platforms.
>
> Let me know where I can help out.

Peter and I were contacted by Brian Proffitt at the Linux Foundation
today and are working up a response.

"Paul W. Frields" 05-12-2010 08:44 PM

Fedora and MeeGo

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 04:18:04PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 04:22:38PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> > Hi Paul,

> > > Thanks for this heads-up Peter -- I've sent a note along to one of the
> > > MeeGo principals at the Linux Foundation, to inquire whether the
> > > Fedora Project is welcome to offer its support to the list found in
> > > that press release. *I'm interested in having Fedora provide a
> > > ready-to-run Fedora spin that shows off MeeGo technologies, and I know
> > > you've been working previously on doing that for Moblin, and now for
> > > MeeGo. *Much appreciated!
> > >
> > > The other entities do appear to be commercial ventures, so if for some
> > > reason the LF is not interested, it's possible the answer may be
> > > different for Red Hat. *If that's so, I'll bring this up with the
> > > appropriate contact points at Red Hat.
> > >
> > > I think the Fedora Project's free-in-all-senses offering is something
> > > that really does help promote MeeGo technologies, so I hope we'll get
> > > a receptive answer. *When that happens the Board and I will work up an
> > > appropriate statement with you -- does that work?
> >
> > I agree, especially as its now part of the Linux Foundation. Also
> > while there have been quite significant changes to the Fedora base
> > they started from (like sysvinit no longer exists) the fact they used
> > the Fedora 12 ARM support to boot strap their ARM port shows that
> > there's still reasonable cross over between the platforms.
> >
> > Let me know where I can help out.
>
> Peter and I were contacted by Brian Proffitt at the Linux Foundation
> today and are working up a response.

*sigh* Today is my day to make blunders on email, apparently. If I'm
reading recent sites properly, Brian's no longer with the Linux
Foundation, in which case I'll treat this as any press inquiry. I
still plan to work with Peter, to ensure the answers take into account
current and future work of our Mini SIG. Sorry about the list noise.