Old 03-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Max Spevack

Default Election schedule

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, we have three groups that will be holding
> elections during this period -- the Fedora Project Board, the Fedora
> Ambassadors Steering Committee (FAmSCo), and the Fedora Engineering
> Steering Committee (FESCo). If I missed a group that expects to hold
> elections around this time, please speak up.

Traditionally, FAmSCo has held its elections only once per year and put
all the seats up at the same time, so that group is *not* slated to hold
any post-F13 elections.

--Max

Old 03-24-2010, 02:12 PM
inode0

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello FAB folks,
>
> With a Fedora release looming in the future, it's time again to
> sharpen our quills and prepare for elections! *That means we need (1)
> a schedule, (2) someone to administer candidate questionnaires,
> assuming voters continue to find them helpful, and (3) people to help
> run any town hall meetings for the candidates.

I spoke shortly after the last election with Larry Cafiero about
handling the questionnaires during this election. I'll try to confirm
with him soon if he is still willing to fill that role.

Candidates complete questionnaire: May 6-11
Questionnaire answers posted: May 12
Town halls: May 13-19

This might need a bit more of a gap as organizing the responses takes
a bit of time and it is good to have the answers posted a few days
before townhalls begin so everyone has a chance to read them prior to
attending.

I'm willing to again organize the townhalls and round up moderators
for them unless someone else would like to give that a go this time.

John

Old 03-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Larry Cafiero

I spoke shortly after the last election with Larry Cafiero about

handling the questionnaires during this election. I'll try to confirm

with him soon if he is still willing to fill that role.

He is.*

Larry Cafiero

Old 03-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Paul Frields

On Wednesday, March 24, 2010, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>> To the best of my knowledge, we have three groups that will be holding
>> elections during this period -- the Fedora Project Board, the Fedora
>> Ambassadors Steering Committee (FAmSCo), and the Fedora Engineering
>> Steering Committee (FESCo). *If I missed a group that expects to hold
>> elections around this time, please speak up.
>
> Traditionally, FAmSCo has held its elections only once per year and put
> all the seats up at the same time, so that group is *not* slated to hold
> any post-F13 elections.

Argh, right! Thanks to you and Joerg, who also emailed me to let me
know about that goof.

Only the Board and FESCo will be included for ballots this cycle. The
next FAmSCo election is scheduled for December 2010.

Paul

Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:12 AM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello FAB folks,
>>
>> With a Fedora release looming in the future, it's time again to
>> sharpen our quills and prepare for elections! *That means we need (1)
>> a schedule, (2) someone to administer candidate questionnaires,
>> assuming voters continue to find them helpful, and (3) people to help
>> run any town hall meetings for the candidates.
>
> I spoke shortly after the last election with Larry Cafiero about
> handling the questionnaires during this election. I'll try to confirm
> with him soon if he is still willing to fill that role.
>
> Candidates complete questionnaire: May 6-11
> Questionnaire answers posted: May 12
> Town halls: May 13-19
>
> This might need a bit more of a gap as organizing the responses takes
> a bit of time and it is good to have the answers posted a few days
> before townhalls begin so everyone has a chance to read them prior to
> attending.
>
> I'm willing to again organize the townhalls and round up moderators
> for them unless someone else would like to give that a go this time.

I'd be happy to help out here; it would be awesome <mchua hat>if there
was an SOP</mchua hat> on how to organize townhalls and/or be a
moderator so that those of us who have only been around for one
election cycle can come up to speed quickly. (I can help you out
with writing the SOP, too, but I'd obviously need some guidance
there.)

IMO - it's good to have different people fulfilling different roles in
Election Operations once in a while; it definitely lends itself to the
openness / transparency thing. Also, I don't think we should let
people become entrenched in these roles to the point where they feel
as though they could not actually be nominated for an elected position
because... who would work on X portion of the process, conflict of
interest, etc. (Or, alternately, not go on vacation.)

-Robyn

Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 07:44:22AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:12 AM, inode0 <inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello FAB folks,
> >>
> >> With a Fedora release looming in the future, it's time again to
> >> sharpen our quills and prepare for elections! *That means we need (1)
> >> a schedule, (2) someone to administer candidate questionnaires,
> >> assuming voters continue to find them helpful, and (3) people to help
> >> run any town hall meetings for the candidates.
> >
> > I spoke shortly after the last election with Larry Cafiero about
> > handling the questionnaires during this election. I'll try to confirm
> > with him soon if he is still willing to fill that role.
> >
> > Candidates complete questionnaire: May 6-11
> > Questionnaire answers posted: May 12
> > Town halls: May 13-19
> >
> > This might need a bit more of a gap as organizing the responses takes
> > a bit of time and it is good to have the answers posted a few days
> > before townhalls begin so everyone has a chance to read them prior to
> > attending.
> >
> > I'm willing to again organize the townhalls and round up moderators
> > for them unless someone else would like to give that a go this time.
>
> I'd be happy to help out here; it would be awesome <mchua hat>if there
> was an SOP</mchua hat> on how to organize townhalls and/or be a
> moderator so that those of us who have only been around for one
> election cycle can come up to speed quickly. (I can help you out
> with writing the SOP, too, but I'd obviously need some guidance
> there.)
>
> IMO - it's good to have different people fulfilling different roles in
> Election Operations once in a while; it definitely lends itself to the
> openness / transparency thing. Also, I don't think we should let
> people become entrenched in these roles to the point where they feel
> as though they could not actually be nominated for an elected position
> because... who would work on X portion of the process, conflict of
> interest, etc. (Or, alternately, not go on vacation.)

So it sounds like we have some clear owners for townhalls and
questionnaires, John Rose and Larry Cafiero respectively. Robyn,
perhaps you would be interested in taking up one or more moderator
slots for townhalls? It seems to me that would be incredibly helpful
for John as he puts those schedules together.

The actual exercise of putting townhalls together is already captured
here on the Elections page:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections#IRC_Town_Halls

Pretty simple, really, someone just sets up the table and populates
it.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Robyn Bergeron

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 07:44:22AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

>> > I spoke shortly after the last election with Larry Cafiero about
>> > handling the questionnaires during this election. I'll try to confirm
>> > with him soon if he is still willing to fill that role.
>> >
>> > Candidates complete questionnaire: May 6-11
>> > Questionnaire answers posted: May 12
>> > Town halls: May 13-19
>> >
>> > This might need a bit more of a gap as organizing the responses takes
>> > a bit of time and it is good to have the answers posted a few days
>> > before townhalls begin so everyone has a chance to read them prior to
>> > attending.
>> >
>> > I'm willing to again organize the townhalls and round up moderators
>> > for them unless someone else would like to give that a go this time.
>>
>> I'd be happy to help out here; it would be awesome <mchua hat>if there
>> was an SOP</mchua hat> on how to organize townhalls and/or be a
>> moderator so that those of us who have only been around for one
>> election cycle can come up to speed quickly. *(I can help you out
>> with writing the SOP, too, but I'd obviously need some guidance
>> there.)
>>
>> IMO - it's good to have different people fulfilling different roles in
>> Election Operations once in a while; it definitely lends itself to the
>> openness / transparency thing. *Also, I don't think we should let
>> people become entrenched in these roles to the point where they feel
>> as though they could not actually be nominated for an elected position
>> because... who would work on X portion of the process, conflict of
>> interest, etc. *(Or, alternately, not go on vacation.)
>
> So it sounds like we have some clear owners for townhalls and
> questionnaires, John Rose and Larry Cafiero respectively. *Robyn,
> perhaps you would be interested in taking up one or more moderator
> slots for townhalls? *It seems to me that would be incredibly helpful
> for John as he puts those schedules together.

Can do - once the schedule is up, I'll sign myself up, and go through
old logs in the meantime.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:41:12AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'd be happy to help out here; it would be awesome <mchua hat>if there
> >> was an SOP</mchua hat> on how to organize townhalls and/or be a
> >> moderator so that those of us who have only been around for one
> >> election cycle can come up to speed quickly. *(I can help you out
> >> with writing the SOP, too, but I'd obviously need some guidance
> >> there.)
> >>
> >> IMO - it's good to have different people fulfilling different roles in
> >> Election Operations once in a while; it definitely lends itself to the
> >> openness / transparency thing. *Also, I don't think we should let
> >> people become entrenched in these roles to the point where they feel
> >> as though they could not actually be nominated for an elected position
> >> because... who would work on X portion of the process, conflict of
> >> interest, etc. *(Or, alternately, not go on vacation.)
> >
> > So it sounds like we have some clear owners for townhalls and
> > questionnaires, John Rose and Larry Cafiero respectively. *Robyn,
> > perhaps you would be interested in taking up one or more moderator
> > slots for townhalls? *It seems to me that would be incredibly helpful
> > for John as he puts those schedules together.
>
> Can do - once the schedule is up, I'll sign myself up, and go through
> old logs in the meantime.

Since I haven't received any negative feedback in the time this was
posted (nearly a week), I've updated the [[Elections]] page
appropriately:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections

Larry, I put your name in for the questionnaire section.

I commented out the old table of dates and times so John and you could
use the tables as needed for new dates and times. I recommend that
John use the Fedora Planet and any other appropriate announcement
channels to invite moderators to help, and advertise the event to
everyone.

Thanks to all of you for helping out!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
inode0

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 11:41:12AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

>> > So it sounds like we have some clear owners for townhalls and
>> > questionnaires, John Rose and Larry Cafiero respectively. *Robyn,
>> > perhaps you would be interested in taking up one or more moderator
>> > slots for townhalls? *It seems to me that would be incredibly helpful
>> > for John as he puts those schedules together.
>>
>> Can do - once the schedule is up, I'll sign myself up, and go through
>> old logs in the meantime.
>
> Since I haven't received any negative feedback in the time this was
> posted (nearly a week), I've updated the [[Elections]] page
> appropriately:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections
>
> Larry, I put your name in for the questionnaire section.
>
> I commented out the old table of dates and times so John and you could
> use the tables as needed for new dates and times. *I recommend that
> John use the Fedora Planet and any other appropriate announcement
> channels to invite moderators to help, and advertise the event to
> everyone.
>
> Thanks to all of you for helping out!

I don't think my feedback was negative but I do think giving Larry
only one day to transcribe and clean up questionnaire responses before
getting them on the wiki is tight and if we happen to have a townhall
at the beginning of the townhall week no one will have to read the
questionnaires.

If Larry is ok with that I am too, since he is doing that work. I can
try to leave a day or two before scheduling townhalls if possible to
give people time to read responses. With only 4 townhalls scheduling
should be easier this time around.

John

Old 03-31-2010, 12:22 AM
Larry Cafiero

I don't think my feedback was negative but I do think giving Larry

only one day to transcribe and clean up questionnaire responses before

getting them on the wiki is tight and if we happen to have a townhall

at the beginning of the townhall week no one will have to read the

questionnaires.*

John makes a good point about the deadline for submitting answers and the first townhall the next day being too close. Of course, with enough coffee, I could turn it around overnight. But generally speaking, ideally I'd like to have some time to look at the answers before the townhalls to get an idea of where they stand.

"Some time," like your mileage, may vary. But if it's not too much, would pushing the deadlines for questions and answers back a week -- April 21-28 for questions and April 29-May 6 for returned answers -- and keep the first townhall on May 13 so everyone has a week to review the answers.

It doesn't have to be a week, but I think there should be some space of time between the release of questionnaire answers and the first townhall.

Larry Cafiero