Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Election schedule

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:22:32PM -0700, Larry Cafiero wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM, inode0 <[1]inode0@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don't think my feedback was negative but I do think giving Larry
> only one day to transcribe and clean up questionnaire responses before
> getting them on the wiki is tight and if we happen to have a townhall
> at the beginning of the townhall week no one will have to read the
> questionnaires.�
>
> John makes a good point about the deadline for submitting answers and the
> first townhall the next day being too close. Of course, with enough
> coffee, I could turn it around overnight. But generally speaking, ideally
> I'd like to have some time to look at the answers before the townhalls to
> get an idea of where they stand.
>
> "Some time," like your mileage, may vary. But if it's not too much, would
> pushing the deadlines for questions and answers back a week -- April 21-28
> for questions and April 29-May 6 for returned answers -- and keep the
> first townhall on May 13 so everyone has a week to review the answers.
>
> It doesn't have to be a week, but I think there should be some space of
> time between the release of questionnaire answers and the first townhall.

Well, let me ask this -- are answers simply gathered by having the
candidates edit the wiki page for the questionnaire? If so, there
seems to be very little work required for that step. Larry, it seems
to me that having people submit answers to you to just transfer to the
wiki is not time well spent for anyone.

Is there some reason we wouldn't want candidates to just put their
answers on the wiki? I could be missing something here.

If they could, then really the bulk of time that Larry would have to
expend is just (1) soliciting and posting questions on the
questionnaire wiki page by May 5, and (2) emailing the candidates that
night to let them know they should start posting their answers, due
the 11th.. And if there weren't enough questions, he could refer to
previous outings to gather a few.

Does that make sense?

Old 03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
inode0

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, let me ask this -- are answers simply gathered by having the
> candidates edit the wiki page for the questionnaire? *If so, there
> seems to be very little work required for that step. *Larry, it seems
> to me that having people submit answers to you to just transfer to the
> wiki is not time well spent for anyone.
>
> Is there some reason we wouldn't want candidates to just put their
> answers on the wiki? *I could be missing something here.

I believe the original intent was to get independent answers from each
candidate. That independence is compromised if some candidates get to
read the answers that other candidates provide prior to their own
submissions.

It has from what I've gathered been a bit of work for the middleman in
the process in the past.

I've asked myself more than once if this is worth continuing to do
because in the past it has also been quite a lot of work for the
candidates who choose to do it with care. The answers provided however
have been so good and worth reading that without a revolt by the
candidates I think it is worth doing. As a burden relief to everyone
perhaps we should control the imposition level by not asking the
candidates to answer too many questions in this format. People can
always come to the town halls and ask as well.

John

Old 04-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Hi!

On 31.03.2010 19:06, inode0 wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, let me ask this -- are answers simply gathered by having the
>> candidates edit the wiki page for the questionnaire? If so, there
>> seems to be very little work required for that step. Larry, it seems
>> to me that having people submit answers to you to just transfer to the
>> wiki is not time well spent for anyone.
>>
>> Is there some reason we wouldn't want candidates to just put their
>> answers on the wiki? I could be missing something here.
>
> I believe the original intent was to get independent answers from each
> candidate. That independence is compromised if some candidates get to
> read the answers that other candidates provide prior to their own
> submissions.

Correct, and I think that it was and is really an important thing (I for
example lurked into answers from others in similar earlier elections and
that influenced my answers quite a lot...).

> It has from what I've gathered been a bit of work for the middleman in
> the process in the past.

Mostly because the instructions how to sent the answers were not good
enough or because the instructions were not followed fully (that's the
long story rough and short). If better ways can be found (maybe a really
simple web app [private URL of course] witch stores the answers in a
proper file formal might do the trick) then things could get a whole lot
easier for the middle man.

> [...]

CU
knurd

Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
Paul Frields

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On 31.03.2010 19:06, inode0 wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Well, let me ask this -- are answers simply gathered by having the
>>> candidates edit the wiki page for the questionnaire? *If so, there
>>> seems to be very little work required for that step. *Larry, it seems
>>> to me that having people submit answers to you to just transfer to the
>>> wiki is not time well spent for anyone.
>>>
>>> Is there some reason we wouldn't want candidates to just put their
>>> answers on the wiki? *I could be missing something here.
>>
>> I believe the original intent was to get independent answers from each
>> candidate. That independence is compromised if some candidates get to
>> read the answers that other candidates provide prior to their own
>> submissions.
>
> Correct, and I think that it was and is really an important thing (I for
> example lurked into answers from others in similar earlier elections and
> that influenced my answers quite a lot...).
>
>> It has from what I've gathered been a bit of work for the middleman in
>> the process in the past.
>
> Mostly because the instructions how to sent the answers were not good
> enough or because the instructions were not followed fully (that's the
> long story rough and short). If better ways can be found (maybe a really
> simple web app [private URL of course] witch stores the answers in a
> proper file formal might do the trick) then things could get a whole lot
> easier for the middle man.

Good points guys. John, as the fellow taking on this duty, can you
make specific suggestions on how to change the dates? I'm going to
use them to echo into a more regular schedule that we can use for
future cycles.

Paul

Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Paul Frields

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good points guys. John, as the fellow taking on this duty, can you
> make specific suggestions on how to change the dates? *I'm going to
> use them to echo into a more regular schedule that we can use for
> future cycles.

Whoops, not enough coffee this morning yet, apparently. That should
have been addressed to Larry of course.

Paul

Old 04-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Larry Cafiero

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Good points guys. John, as the fellow taking on this duty, can you

> make specific suggestions on how to change the dates? *I'm going to

> use them to echo into a more regular schedule that we can use for

> future cycles.

Whoops, not enough coffee this morning yet, apparently. That should

have been addressed to Larry of course.

Pour me some, since I'll need a cup as well :-)

After discussing with John on IRC, we'd like to suggest the following dates:

Nominations: Apr. 24 - May 2

Questionnaire (answers): May 3 - May 9

If I understand him correctly, John mentioned a concern which might result in everyone waiting until the weekend, but these changes afford us time after nominations to schedule town halls as well.

Larry Cafiero

Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Paul Frields

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Paul Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Good points guys. John, as the fellow taking on this duty, can you
>> > make specific suggestions on how to change the dates? *I'm going to
>> > use them to echo into a more regular schedule that we can use for
>> > future cycles.
>>
>> Whoops, not enough coffee this morning yet, apparently. That should
>> have been addressed to Larry of course.
>>

> Pour me some, since I'll need a cup as well :-)
>
> After discussing with John on IRC, we'd like to suggest the following dates:
>
> Nominations: Apr. 24 - May 2
> Questionnaire (answers): May 3 - May 9
>
> If I understand him correctly, John mentioned a concern which might result
> in everyone waiting until the weekend, but these changes afford us time
> after nominations to schedule town halls as well.

OK, I've put those changes on the elections page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections

Paul

Old 04-07-2010, 01:00 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 07:19:00AM -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Whoops, not enough coffee this morning yet, apparently. That should
> >> have been addressed to Larry of course.
> >>

> > Pour me some, since I'll need a cup as well :-)
> >
> > After discussing with John on IRC, we'd like to suggest the following dates:
> >
> > Nominations: Apr. 24 - May 2
> > Questionnaire (answers): May 3 - May 9
> >
> > If I understand him correctly, John mentioned a concern which might result
> > in everyone waiting until the weekend, but these changes afford us time
> > after nominations to schedule town halls as well.
>
> OK, I've put those changes on the elections page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections

One thing to note about the elections is that a couple start or end
dates fall on weekend days. This isn't a problem per se, because the
total open period encompasses at least an entire week. Also, because
we are fortunate to have volunteers running this process, those dates
may actually be helpful for said volunteers. :-)

We can bang the drum a bit a day or two before such openings or
deadlines, so that people who are away for a weekend won't be
surprised or uninformed.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:13 AM
inode0

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:00 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 07:19:00AM -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
>> OK, I've put those changes on the elections page:
>> * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections
>
> One thing to note about the elections is that a couple start or end
> dates fall on weekend days. *This isn't a problem per se, because the
> total open period encompasses at least an entire week. *Also, because
> we are fortunate to have volunteers running this process, those dates
> may actually be helpful for said volunteers. :-)
>
> We can bang the drum a bit a day or two before such openings or
> deadlines, so that people who are away for a weekend won't be
> surprised or uninformed.

Elections are scheduled to begin this Saturday and I have a couple of
questions/reminders.

The nomination pages for the board and fesco need to be reset.

Has an announcement been sent out yet informing the community that the
nomination period begins this Saturday?

Did someone from infra or elsewhere volunteer to manage the voting system?

John

Old 04-20-2010, 02:21 AM
Larry Cafiero

I thought nominations open on the 28th, or did I miss something?

Larry Cafiero