Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default FPL future

I've been the Fedora Project Leader for a little over two years now,
and now that we're rocketing (sorry!) toward my fifth release in that
role, I'm interested in branching out into other ways of championing
free and open source software at Red Hat. Before I do that, I want to
smoothly pass on the role of Fedora Project Leader, and make sure the
person who next takes this role can be fully successful in it.

My peers and managers in Red Hat and the community at large have been
incredibly supportive, and there's no one driving this decision other
than me. The Fedora Board, and key managers and engineers in Red Hat,
are all part of the process of selecting the next FPL.

This process will naturally take some time, but I'm glad that the
partnership between Red Hat and the rest of the Fedora community
allows me to give people an early heads-up about these plans.

It's important that Fedora always be able to make opportunities for
fresh and energetic leadership that will help take our Project, and
the distribution we make, to the next level of achievement.
Regardless of what I'm doing next at Red Hat, part of my job early on
will be to give as much assistance as possible to the next FPL, just
as Max Spevack did for me, allowing that person to successfully take
over this position, and continue leading Fedora into the future.

* * *

By the way, it might have been more difficult to write this message,
except for the fact that we are all working together in a very special
area of endeavor -- free software. And thankfully the Fedora Project
not only embraces the concept, but the *practice* of free software, so
there is always source to look back on, recorded history to examine,
and open and transparent process to draw from. In short, we have
giants' shoulders on which to stand. So of course I looked to see how
our previous FPL handled the delicate matter of succession:

http://spevack.livejournal.com/39464.html

I'm sure no one, including Max, will mind if I took a look at that
text for a starting point. Unprecedented transparency has continued
to be a hallmark of the Fedora Project, and it's a legacy we can all
be proud of.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Max Spevack

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> http://spevack.livejournal.com/39464.html
>
> I'm sure no one, including Max, will mind if I took a look at that
> text for a starting point. Unprecedented transparency has continued
> to be a hallmark of the Fedora Project, and it's a legacy we can all
> be proud of.

Paul,

Seeing as you posted this both on your blog and on-list, I wrote my
response to you on my blog, in true internet fashion.

Rather than copy paste, here's the link.

http://spevack.livejournal.com/102890.html

But I wanted to get on this list as well and say "well done, sir!" as
well.

--Max

Old 04-12-2010, 03:01 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:08:10AM -0400, Max Spevack wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > http://spevack.livejournal.com/39464.html
> >
> > I'm sure no one, including Max, will mind if I took a look at that
> > text for a starting point. Unprecedented transparency has continued
> > to be a hallmark of the Fedora Project, and it's a legacy we can all
> > be proud of.
>
> Paul,
>
> Seeing as you posted this both on your blog and on-list, I wrote my
> response to you on my blog, in true internet fashion.
>
> Rather than copy paste, here's the link.
>
> http://spevack.livejournal.com/102890.html
>
> But I wanted to get on this list as well and say "well done, sir!" as
> well.

This has been posted on Red Hat's careers page:

https://redhat.ats.hrsmart.com/cgi-bin/a/highlightjob.cgi?jobid=4940