Old 11-08-2009, 02:36 PM
inode0

Default Upcoming Fedora Election Schedule (Proposal)

* F13 Naming Schedule

The schedule proposed by John appears perfect to me so if there are no
objections we'll proceed with that schedule as outlined here

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_13#Naming_Schedule

* Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule

November 10-16: Nomination of candidates for open seats
November 17-23: Candidate questionnaire period (answers are private
until published as a group)
November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
discretion of the board/committee)
December 5-7: Live town hall meetings at FUDCon (?)
December 8-15: Voting period

I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
prior to all of the town hall meetings.

I haven't been a party to the discussions about live town hall
meetings at FUDCon in Toronto but I see them on the draft election
page at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections

I'm really not sure how these are intended to work when the candidates
for open seats may well not be present. I am only aware of one FAmSCo
member planning to attend and a subset of the other bodies. Can
someone fill me in on how these are supposed to be useful in the
election process? If they came before the IRC town halls I could see
them providing good context but happening at the very end of the
election process I'm unclear what role they are supposed to the
playing in the elections.

Comments please.

John

Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Francesco Ugolini

2009/11/8 inode0 <inode0@gmail.com>:

> I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
> than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
> questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
> cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
> prior to all of the *town hall meetings.

I really like the idea. Will it be unique for all the committees and
advisory board?

> I'm really not sure how these are intended to work when the candidates
> for open seats may well not be present. I am only aware of one FAmSCo
> member planning to attend and a subset of the other bodies. Can
> someone fill me in on how these are supposed to be useful in the
> election process? If they came before the IRC town halls I could see
> them providing good context but happening at the very end of the
> election process I'm unclear what role they are supposed to the
> playing in the elections.

If there is a camera and a microphone they could be used to create
videos. Just a small problem: only fudcon attendees will be able to
make questions/give answers.

I think FUDCons could be a good platform to start a discussion, at
list for ambassadors, on local/regional issues. I think, in this case,
if NA ambassadors agree it could be interesting to see what could
happen with this system.

>From the other committeess/advisory board, I don't know how it could
impact, since their model seems different from ambassadors project one
(our goals require a regional structure).

BTW, IRC meetings are a great place to have people all together, and
sure Ambassadors will have one

Just another point: is December 27th a doable date? I don't know how
many people will attend it (it's just 2 days after Christmas day).
Maybe a good promotion of this date will help people organizing their
time in order to attend.

Regards

Francesco

Old 11-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Josh Boyer

On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 09:36:39AM -0600, inode0 wrote:
>* F13 Naming Schedule
>
>The schedule proposed by John appears perfect to me so if there are no
>objections we'll proceed with that schedule as outlined here
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_13#Naming_Schedule
>
>* Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule

Small correction: it's Fedora Board, not Fedora Advisory Board.

josh

Old 11-08-2009, 04:58 PM
inode0

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 08, 2009 at 09:36:39AM -0600, inode0 wrote:
>>* F13 Naming Schedule
>>
>>The schedule proposed by John appears perfect to me so if there are no
>>objections we'll proceed with that schedule as outlined here
>>
>> * * *https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Name_suggestions_for_Fedora_13#Naming_Schedule
>>
>>* Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule
>
> Small correction: it's Fedora Board, not Fedora Advisory Board.

I'll use Fedora Project Board in announcements since that appears to
be the official designation.

John

Old 11-08-2009, 05:40 PM
inode0

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Francesco Ugolini
<fugolini@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> 2009/11/8 inode0 <inode0@gmail.com>:
>>
>> I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
>> than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
>> questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
>> cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
>> prior to all of the *town hall meetings.
>
> I really like the idea. Will it be unique for all the committees and
> advisory board?

It wasn't last year but it could be this year if there are
suggestions. Here is a link to the questionnaire from last time.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections/Questionnaire

>> I'm really not sure how these are intended to work when the candidates
>> for open seats may well not be present. I am only aware of one FAmSCo
>> member planning to attend and a subset of the other bodies. Can
>> someone fill me in on how these are supposed to be useful in the
>> election process? If they came before the IRC town halls I could see
>> them providing good context but happening at the very end of the
>> election process I'm unclear what role they are supposed to the
>> playing in the elections.
>
> If there is a camera and a microphone they could be used to create
> videos. Just a small problem: only fudcon attendees will be able to
> make questions/give answers.
>
> *I think FUDCons could be a good platform to start a discussion, at
> list for ambassadors, on local/regional issues. I think, in this case,
> if NA ambassadors agree it could be interesting to see what could
> happen with this system.
>
> >From the other committeess/advisory board, I don't know how it could
> impact, since their model seems different from ambassadors project one
> (our goals require a regional structure).
>
> BTW, IRC meetings are a great place to have people all together, and
> sure Ambassadors will have one
>
> Just another point: is December 27th a doable date? I don't know how
> many people will attend it (it's just 2 days after Christmas day).
> Maybe a good promotion of this date will help people organizing their
> time in order to attend.

The elections as proposed conclude on December 15.

John

Old 11-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Francesco Ugolini

2009/11/8 inode0 <inode0@gmail.com>:

> The elections as proposed conclude on December 15.

I apologize. I mixed 27 with the month of the following tasks. Then no
problem at all!

Regards

Francesco

Old 11-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

Hi!

inode0 wrote on 08.11.2009 16:36:
> [...]
> * Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule
>
> November 10-16: Nomination of candidates for open seats
> November 17-23: Candidate questionnaire period (answers are private
> until published as a group)
> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
> discretion of the board/committee)
> [...]
> I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
> than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
> questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
> cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
> prior to all of the town hall meetings.

I'd do it like this to have it even more compressed and do something
like this:

November 10-16: prepare questions for the candidate questionnaire and
publish them on November 17
November 17-23: Nomination of candidates for open seats
November 25 deadline for candidate to send in answers for the candidate
questionnaire; answers have to be private and get published as a group
November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
> discretion of the board/committee)
> [...]

Reasons: That gives people that nominate early more then a week to
prepare the answers; those that nominate on the last minute have way
less time, but that's their own "fault".

CU
knurd

Old 11-09-2009, 04:16 AM
inode0

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> inode0 wrote on 08.11.2009 16:36:
>> [...]
>> * Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule
>>
>> November 10-16: Nomination of candidates for open seats
>> November 17-23: Candidate questionnaire period (answers are private
>> until published as a group)
>> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
>> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
>> discretion of the board/committee)
>> [...]
>> I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
>> than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
>> questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
>> cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
>> prior to all of the *town hall meetings.
>
> I'd do it like this to have it even more compressed and do something
> like this:
>
> November 10-16: prepare questions for the candidate questionnaire and
> publish them on November 17

I meant to publish the questions on the 17th so we could begin
generating them ASAP and have the answers returned by the 23rd giving
a couple of days to you (I hope you are willing to help with this
again) to work your magic on them.

> November 17-23: Nomination of candidates for open seats
> November 25 deadline for candidate to send in answers for the candidate
> questionnaire; answers have to be private and get published as a group
> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
>> discretion of the board/committee)
>> [...]
>
> Reasons: That gives people that nominate early more then a week to
> prepare the answers; those that nominate on the last minute have way
> less time, but that's their own "fault".

So I think the only question is whether to have the nomination period
before or after the publication of the questions. I'm not sure how I
feel about that. I see your point. I don't like penalizing someone who
gets "recruited" to run either though. It isn't really their fault
they don't run to nominate themselves on the first day. And the
answers were so useful to the people voting that I'd like to make sure
all candidates have a reasonable amount of time to answer them for us.
So with the nomination period at the same time as the generation of
the question, and the nomination period ending when the questions are
released, gives everyone one week to give them serious thought and
write up meaningful answers. I think this is most helpful to voters.

John

Old 11-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Thorsten Leemhuis

inode0 wrote on 09.11.2009 06:16:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> inode0 wrote on 08.11.2009 16:36:
>>> [...]
>>> * Fedora Advisory Board and Steering Committee Election Schedule
>>> November 10-16: Nomination of candidates for open seats
>>> November 17-23: Candidate questionnaire period (answers are private
>>> until published as a group)
>>> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
>>> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
>>> discretion of the board/committee)
>>> [...]
>>> I am proposing a slightly more compressed nomination and voting period
>>> than we have had in the past to accommodate better processing of the
>>> questionnaires which were found to be very valuable last election
>>> cycle but for which there was not sufficient time to publish answers
>>> prior to all of the town hall meetings.
>> I'd do it like this to have it even more compressed and do something
>> like this:
>> November 10-16: prepare questions for the candidate questionnaire and
>> publish them on November 17
> I meant to publish the questions on the 17th so we could begin
> generating them ASAP and have the answers returned by the 23rd giving
> a couple of days to you (I hope you are willing to help with this
> again) to work your magic on them.

/me better should have kept his nose down, as then maybe someone else
might have taken care of that work

I assume there is no one around that wants volunteers to do it?

>> November 17-23: Nomination of candidates for open seats
>> November 25 deadline for candidate to send in answers for the candidate
>> questionnaire; answers have to be private and get published as a group
>> November 26: Publish questionnaire responses no later than November 26
>> November 27 - December 3: IRC town hall meetings (1 or 2 at the
>>> discretion of the board/committee)
>>> [...]
>>
>> Reasons: That gives people that nominate early more then a week to
>> prepare the answers; those that nominate on the last minute have way
>> less time, but that's their own "fault".
> So I think the only question is whether to have the nomination period
> before or after the publication of the questions. I'm not sure how I
> feel about that.

Actually I'm not completely sure myself. A bit of overlap could work as
well...

CU
knurd

Old 11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
inode0

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:38 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:
> inode0 wrote on 09.11.2009 06:16:
>> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora@leemhuis.info> wrote:
>> I meant to publish the questions on the 17th so we could begin
>> generating them ASAP and have the answers returned by the 23rd giving
>> a couple of days to you (I hope you are willing to help with this
>> again) to work your magic on them.
>
> /me better should have kept his nose down, as then maybe someone else
> might have taken care of that work
>
> I assume there is no one around that wants volunteers to do it?

Please help again, your work last time made a real impact.

>> So I think the only question is whether to have the nomination period
>> before or after the publication of the questions. I'm not sure how I
>> feel about that.
>
> Actually I'm not completely sure myself. A bit of overlap could work as
> well...

If I don't hear any yelling what I think I plan to do at this point is
have the nomination period and the collection of questions overlap
completely running Nov. 10-16. The final questions can be published
for the candidates to answer on the 17th and we'll give them one week
until the 23rd to return them. That will hopefully give them time to
carefully craft their answers without feeling overly rushed.

One question about the question collection process that I need to know
before sending out an announcement is where are those going to be
collected? Will the page here

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Elections/Questionnaire

be "reset" to begin the current cycle as a collection point for the
new questions?

Thanks,
John