Old 12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

Default Fedora Remix - Clarification

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:44:11PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Let's say I am creating a local language remix of Fedora completely
> outside of the usual spin process hosted externally to Fedora Project,
> can I call it, Fedora Foo Remix instead of, Foo - Fedora Remix?

No. You can refer to "Foo" as "Fedora Remix" but you may not
interrupt the secondary mark, which is a single unit of text. Perhaps
I need to add guidance to this effect in the document? I'll ask Legal
about that.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Paul W. Frields wrote:

Let's say I am creating a local language remix of Fedora completely
outside of the usual spin process hosted externally to Fedora Project,
can I call it, Fedora Foo Remix instead of, Foo - Fedora Remix?

No. You can refer to "Foo" as "Fedora Remix" but you may not
interrupt the secondary mark, which is a single unit of text. Perhaps
I need to add guidance to this effect in the document? I'll ask Legal
about that.

Well, in my example, say Fedora Hindi Remix would make much more sense
than Hindi - Fedora Remix or else I am forced to create a new name for
every local language remix I create which is insane considering the
number of local languages in and around my place. Can you consider allow
ing this or is there other suggestions?

Rahul

Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Chris Tyler

> Well, in my example, say Fedora Hindi Remix would make much more sense
> than Hindi - Fedora Remix or else I am forced to create a new name for
> every local language remix I create which is insane considering the
> number of local languages in and around my place. Can you consider allow
> ing this or is there other suggestions?
>
> Rahul

Rahul,

If you want to call it "Fedora", then make it official. There's no
reason why you can't produce the "Fedora Hindi Spin". But if it's not
pure Fedora, then give it your own name, and call it "FooDisto Hindi -
Fedora Remix".

-Chris

Old 12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Chris Tyler wrote:

Rahul,

If you want to call it "Fedora", then make it official.

Oh, believe me. I tried. I got one of the dozen spins hosted at
http://spins.fedoraproject.org and then it was stopped because of lack
of space or it was considered too much effort for composing all the
different variants or some much. I didn't have the time or energy to go
through the process again for Fedora 10. Now there are folks who are
looking to create local language spins, I think waiting for Fedora 11
(since I can't do it out of band, officially) and going through the same
ordeal is too much overhead especially since it is going to be
bittorrent only and that means no download for quite a few people who
only have bandwidth at the office and corporate policy says no bittorrent.

The only reason was for lack of space or bandwidth to host them. Now
that I have some of that, it is just much easier to bypass the official
process and do it elsewhere. If I have to invent a dozen odd names to
satisfy the trademark requirements, I will but it just seems much more
saner to allow this within the Fedora remix guidelines. It makes my work
easier and makes it easier to give credit to Fedora.

Rahul

Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:29:54AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 11:44:11PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Let's say I am creating a local language remix of Fedora completely
>>> outside of the usual spin process hosted externally to Fedora
>>> Project, can I call it, Fedora Foo Remix instead of, Foo - Fedora
>>> Remix?
>>
>> No. You can refer to "Foo" as "Fedora Remix" but you may not
>> interrupt the secondary mark, which is a single unit of text. Perhaps
>> I need to add guidance to this effect in the document? I'll ask Legal
>> about that.
>
> Well, in my example, say Fedora Hindi Remix would make much more sense
> than Hindi - Fedora Remix or else I am forced to create a new name for
> every local language remix I create which is insane considering the
> number of local languages in and around my place. Can you consider allow
> ing this or is there other suggestions?

What's wrong with "Fedora Remix - Hindi" or "Hindi Fedora Remix"?
Those are both perfectly descriptive.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Paul W. Frields wrote:

What's wrong with "Fedora Remix - Hindi" or "Hindi Fedora Remix"?
Those are both perfectly descriptive.

These are allowed then? I take it that anything except inserting words
in between Fedora and Remix is allowed but a few examples of what is and
what is not allowed in the guidelines would be helpful.

Rahul

Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > What's wrong with "Fedora Remix - Hindi" or "Hindi Fedora Remix"?
> > Those are both perfectly descriptive.
>
> These are allowed then? I take it that anything except inserting words
> in between Fedora and Remix is allowed but a few examples of what is and
> what is not allowed in the guidelines would be helpful.

Basically, as long as "Fedora Remix" remains intact, you're fine. So
before or after, yes. Inbetween, no.

~spot

Old 12-09-2008, 08:52 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 02:30:01AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with "Fedora Remix - Hindi" or "Hindi Fedora Remix"?
>> Those are both perfectly descriptive.
>
> These are allowed then? I take it that anything except inserting words
> in between Fedora and Remix is allowed but a few examples of what is and
> what is not allowed in the guidelines would be helpful.

It's hard for me to imagine what kinds of rational uses wouldn't be
allowed that wouldn't fall into one of the general guidelines (like
disparaging use, or misspellings). The latest draft of the trademark
guidelines -- being reviewed by Red Hat Legal -- makes it more clear
that this is a unit of text.

The words "Fedora Remix" and the Fedora Remix design mark were created
to make sure that people doing remixes could point interested people
back to Fedora, and simultaneously benefit from the Fedora brand's
value. Uses like "FroBozz 10, a Fedora Remix" or "Fedora Remix -
Blagnasticator!" are precisely what we envisioned.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Bryan Kearney