Old 12-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Christopher Blizzard

Default info for non-redhat folks

On Dec 20, 2007, at 5:39 PM, seth vidal wrote:

This just came down after close of business today and it's public:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071220/20071220005991.html?.v=1

Not sure what it'll mean for us but it's worth everyone knowing about
it.

His Wikipedia page says that he has a BA in econ and cs. An
interesting combination. Could be good for Red Hat. Time will tell,
of course.

--Chris

Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 PM
"John Babich"

Two references:

Here's an official statement from Matthew Szulik in Red Hat News:
http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/12/20/a-message-from-matthew/

Here's an interesting article entitled "Can an airline exec run Red
Hat? You'd be surprised", by Larry Dignan:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7437

Best Regards,

John Babich
Volunteer, Fedora Project

Old 12-21-2007, 05:18 PM
"Luis Villa"

On Dec 21, 2007 1:11 PM, John Babich <jmbabich@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two references:
>
> Here's an official statement from Matthew Szulik in Red Hat News:
> http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/12/20/a-message-from-matthew/
>
> Here's an interesting article entitled "Can an airline exec run Red
> Hat? You'd be surprised", by Larry Dignan:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=7437

Heh. I'm amused at this little bit of misinformation:
"Red Hat's EVP of Worldwide Sales is a relative of Mr. Szulik, for example. "

In fact, the other Szulik is not a relative. It is odd that the only
two Szuliks I've ever met work for each other and yet are not related,
but there you are...

Slightly more on-topic:
"In my first meeting with Jim Whitehurst, we discussed the four Linux
distributions that he was running on his home personal network. He was
running Fedora Core 6 and Fedora Core 7 at home. He was running
Slackware at home and he was an experienced software developer up
until the time that he was at BCG (Boston Consulting Group). "

This bodes well, I think- the only complaint I had with Matthew during
my brief stint at the hat was that he sometimes seemed not to quite
Get the engineers. Anyone who runs Slack at home will at least get the
engineers, even if he does ignore them from time to time

Luis

Old 12-21-2007, 05:30 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 13:18 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> Heh. I'm amused at this little bit of misinformation:
> "Red Hat's EVP of Worldwide Sales is a relative of Mr. Szulik, for
> example. "

That's not actually wrong, but its not who you think.

The EVP of Worldwide Sales is Alex Pinchev, who is related to Matthew
(by marriage).

~spot

Old 12-21-2007, 05:35 PM
"Luis Villa"

On Dec 21, 2007 1:30 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 13:18 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> > Heh. I'm amused at this little bit of misinformation:
> > "Red Hat's EVP of Worldwide Sales is a relative of Mr. Szulik, for
> > example. "
>
> That's not actually wrong, but its not who you think.
>
> The EVP of Worldwide Sales is Alex Pinchev, who is related to Matthew
> (by marriage).

Hah! I take it back then

Luis

Old 12-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Max Spevack

This bodes well, I think- the only complaint I had with Matthew during
my brief stint at the hat was that he sometimes seemed not to quite
Get the engineers. Anyone who runs Slack at home will at least get the
engineers, even if he does ignore them from time to time

Before I came to Red Hat, I was a die-hard Slackware user.

So I thought it quite cool that our new CEO uses Fedora and Slackware.

--Max

Old 12-21-2007, 06:14 PM
"Jeff Spaleta"

On Dec 21, 2007 10:08 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
> Before I came to Red Hat, I was a die-hard Slackware user.

that explains a lot.

-jef"adds Max to 'the list'"spaleta

Old 12-21-2007, 06:17 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 21, 2007 12:08 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > This bodes well, I think- the only complaint I had with Matthew during
> > my brief stint at the hat was that he sometimes seemed not to quite
> > Get the engineers. Anyone who runs Slack at home will at least get the
> > engineers, even if he does ignore them from time to time
>
> Before I came to Red Hat, I was a die-hard Slackware user.

And we have really really tried not to hold it against you.

> So I thought it quite cool that our new CEO uses Fedora and Slackware.

Well if people had just kept updating SLS, we wouldnt have needed so
many Linux distros...

Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM
"Elliot Lee"

I have to wonder if someone took http://www.zyra.org.uk/os-air.htm too
seriously... ;-)

For real though, all the best to those inside Red Hat, Inc.
-- Elliot

Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Max Spevack