Old 12-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Bill Nottingham

Default info for non-redhat folks

Max Spevack (mspevack@redhat.com) said:
> But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the "what
> Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was "cool, I used to
> use Slackware too!"

"used to" being the operative word.

Bill

Old 12-21-2007, 07:05 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 21, 2007 12:52 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting@redhat.com> wrote:
> Max Spevack (mspevack@redhat.com) said:
> > But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the "what
> > Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was "cool, I used to
> > use Slackware too!"
>
> "used to" being the operative word.

Well there was that one crazy Support guy who would use Slackware and RPM...

Old 12-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Christopher Blizzard

On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Max Spevack wrote:

But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the
"what Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was
"cool, I used to use Slackware too!"

"I used Slackware. Once. Then I tried to update it."

--Chris

Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:19:57 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
>
> > But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the
> > "what Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was
> > "cool, I used to use Slackware too!"
>
> "I used Slackware. Once. Then I tried to update it."

Ah, lessons in history. Slackware on 30-40 3.5" floppy disks. Updating it
-- one had to do it because of dependencies -- became more convenient with
the help of RPM (back in time still called Red Hat Package Manager) and
the most relevant tarball packages wrapped into binary rpms to fill the
RPM database.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:42 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Dec 22, 2007 10:00 AM, Michael Schwendt <bugs.michael@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:19:57 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
>

> > On Dec 21, 2007, at 2:46 PM, Max Spevack wrote:
> >
> > > But interestingly enough, when I interviewed at Red Hat and got the
> > > "what Linux distro do you use" question, everyone's response was
> > > "cool, I used to use Slackware too!"
> >
> > "I used Slackware. Once. Then I tried to update it."
>
> Ah, lessons in history. Slackware on 30-40 3.5" floppy disks. Updating it

Heheh.. I remember one of the most common Red Hat Tech Support
questions early questions is:

How can I install Red Hat via floppies? All the cool Linux's use floppies!

I think Erik T was tasked once on seeing how feasible it was for a
potential paying customer... he probably still has nightmares about
it.

I wonder how many floppies it would take these days with delta-rpms
etc to split packages over...

Old 12-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Christopher Blizzard

I wonder how many floppies it would take these days with delta-rpms
etc to split packages over...

How has the delta rpms stuff been coming? I hoped that it would make
it for some Fedora release. Huge win for users.

--Chris

Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Brian Pepple

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 16:39 -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> On Dec 22, 2007, at 12:42 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> > I wonder how many floppies it would take these days with delta-rpms
> > etc to split packages over...
>
> How has the delta rpms stuff been coming? I hoped that it would make
> it for some Fedora release. Huge win for users.

I think the plan is for that to come in for F9.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeaturePresto

Later,
/B

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BrianPepple
BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E