Old 12-05-2008, 03:34 AM
"Jeff Spaleta"

Default Fudcon + fedoratalk?

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 7:24 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath@redhat.com> wrote:
> Thoughts?

I'd be interested in trying to use it as a remote attendee. Just as
long as someone promises to be in the room with a sock puppet
pretending to be me if I'm asking a question via the conference call
system.

-jef

Old 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 10:24:49PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> We do actually have fedoratalk up and running this time. Is this
> something that would be useful to people or a distraction? There's
> logistical issues (like mic's) to be worked out. But if we're going to be
> in rooms that have those fancy conference call phones or mics or
> something. Its possible for us to use those technologies.
>
> Thoughts?

I don't know if the MIT rooms have mics, but I will check on that
today.

A built-in laptop mic will be basically useless in a classroom
configuration. We'd need either something coming from the lectern, or
a large-diaphragm condenser mic placed somewhere central in the room,
or a pair of dynamic mics (one for the speaker and one to be passed
around the auidence). In either case, we then need something to get
the mic signal to line level for a laptop input. More equipment,
blearrgh.

I can investigate some inexpensive equipment solutions like USB
digital audio interfaces and mics. Then it's just a matter of finding
budget for them.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 22:24 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> We do actually have fedoratalk up and running this time. Is this
> something that would be useful to people or a distraction? There's
> logistical issues (like mic's) to be worked out. But if we're going to be
> in rooms that have those fancy conference call phones or mics or
> something. Its possible for us to use those technologies.

We're in classrooms -- not rooms with conference call equipment. And
there's not really mics either

Jeremy

Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Mike McGrath

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 22:24 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > We do actually have fedoratalk up and running this time. Is this
> > something that would be useful to people or a distraction? There's
> > logistical issues (like mic's) to be worked out. But if we're going to be
> > in rooms that have those fancy conference call phones or mics or
> > something. Its possible for us to use those technologies.
>
> We're in classrooms -- not rooms with conference call equipment. And
> there's not really mics either

I was hoping we'd get lucky, we had the conference room speaker phones
where I went in most of the rooms and all of the lecture halls IIRC but
that did strike me as weird at the time above all though I don't want
it to be a distraction to the actual FUDCon presenters.

-Mike

Old 12-05-2008, 05:14 PM
"Paul W. Frields"

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:57:07AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 22:24 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > > We do actually have fedoratalk up and running this time. Is this
> > > something that would be useful to people or a distraction? There's
> > > logistical issues (like mic's) to be worked out. But if we're going to be
> > > in rooms that have those fancy conference call phones or mics or
> > > something. Its possible for us to use those technologies.
> >
> > We're in classrooms -- not rooms with conference call equipment. And
> > there's not really mics either
> >

> I was hoping we'd get lucky, we had the conference room speaker phones
> where I went in most of the rooms and all of the lecture halls IIRC but
> that did strike me as weird at the time above all though I don't want
> it to be a distraction to the actual FUDCon presenters.

I've asked the creative team inside Red Hat about this, but I doubt
they have enough lavalier mics to be able to provide them for all the
session rooms.