Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 PM
Max Spevack

Default succession planning

I posted this on my blog (http://spevack.livejournal.com/39464.html),
but it was recommended to me that I post it to fedora-advisory-board as
well.

The Fedora Project Leader job has a natural lifecycle to it.

I began my time in this role in February of 2006, about 1 month before
Fedora Core 5 was released. Now we are about one month after Fedora 8's
release, and the topic of succession planning is very much on my mind.

After two years and four releases of Fedora, I would like to be able to
do some other things related to Fedora and/or Red Hat while allowing
someone else to assume the "Fedora Project Leader" responsibilities.

The holidays will get in the way of this process a little bit, but in
the coming months, it is our goal to identify who can be my successor as
the Fedora Project Leader. The Fedora Project Leader is a full-time Red
Hat position, and so we need to go through a full interview process,
etc.

None of this is being done ad-hoc or randomly. The Fedora Board is part
of the process, as is Red Hat's CTO and other managers within the
engineering organization and human resources.

It is unusual, to say the least, for an announcement like this to even
be made in public. Due to Fedora's belief in transparency, the other
members of the Fedora Board and I believe that a statement like this one
is the right thing to do, and I wanted to make sure that it was in my
own words.

For the moment, there is not much else to say, because it is going to
take a while for all of this to be sorted out. There will be a
transition period built in, and nothing is going to be done without
plenty of advance notice and without the buy-in of both myself and the
Fedora Board.

I also want to make it absolutely clear that all of this is completely
voluntary -- it is my idea, it is initiated by me, and I have brought
the Fedora Board and other Red Hat VIPs into the discussion because a
decision like this requires their input.

It has been an honor and a pleasure to serve as the Fedora Project
Leader. I am not going anywhere for a while, but I wanted to let the
community know what is going on, and what to expect in the next few
months.

--Max