Old 11-20-2007, 02:34 PM
"Tom "spot" Callaway"

Default predictable releases Halloween and May Day (was: [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Releases/9/Schedule" by JesseKeating)

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:32 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> I thought the Board not that long ago agreed to have more predictable
> release schedule with a release target end of April/early May and end of
> October/early November? Gregdek for example mentioned in
> http://gregdek.livejournal.com/12639.html: "we're going to start
> tracking release dates for Fedora much more aggressively. The current
> goal: release Fedora twice a year, at Halloween and May Day, every year."

I think May 31 is more realistic (we released F7 on May 31). It has the
added bonus of being my birthday.

~spot

Old 11-20-2007, 02:45 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:32 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> I thought the Board not that long ago agreed to have more predictable
> release schedule with a release target end of April/early May and end of
> October/early November? Gregdek for example mentioned in
> http://gregdek.livejournal.com/12639.html: "we're going to start
> tracking release dates for Fedora much more aggressively. The current
> goal: release Fedora twice a year, at Halloween and May Day, every year."
>
> Did that goal change again? Or was it forgotten?
>
> Just wondering.

I think Jesse just mis-did his month counting

Jeremy

Old 11-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Jeremy Katz

On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 10:34 -0500, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 16:32 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > I thought the Board not that long ago agreed to have more predictable
> > release schedule with a release target end of April/early May and end of
> > October/early November? Gregdek for example mentioned in
> > http://gregdek.livejournal.com/12639.html: "we're going to start
> > tracking release dates for Fedora much more aggressively. The current
> > goal: release Fedora twice a year, at Halloween and May Day, every year."
>
> I think May 31 is more realistic (we released F7 on May 31). It has the
> added bonus of being my birthday.

F7 was May 31, F8 was Nov 8 (we pushed back a little from the goal of
Oct 31 to have 5.5 months for the release), and F9 should be back to May
1. That then gets us back on the 6 month schedule that was wanted
without huge differences.

If we do F9 on May 31, then it's almost a 7 month cycle.

Jeremy