-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   File System Traces (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/857-file-system-traces.html)

ViVu 11-16-2007 06:21 PM

File System Traces

Hello All,

I'm trying to collect the following information about an application at the
file system layer:

Type of request - Read/Write
Sector Number to which the request is directed - to which the request is
directed
Time of request

Can anyone pls let me know what changes should I make in which modules to
extract this information? Thanks a lot!!

Rgds
SunDevil

Eric Sandeen 11-26-2007 02:51 PM

File System Traces

ViVu wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to collect the following information about an application at the
> file system layer:
>
> Type of request - Read/Write
> Sector Number to which the request is directed - to which the request is
> directed
> Time of request
>
> Can anyone pls let me know what changes should I make in which modules to
> extract this information? Thanks a lot!!

I'd probably use Jens Axboe's blktrace, google can find it for you (or,
fedora has rpms, other distros probably do to)

the vm.block_dump sysctl might also help.

-Eric