Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM
shubham

Default Journal abortion in ext3 and its relation with remounting

I was looking at the code of ext3 file system and found some strange
implementation there :

Can someone let me know the validity of below statements and with
reasoning :

1. I found that it might also happen that journal is aborted but not
re-mounted
2. Journal gets aborted but it might be possible to mount it in
read-write mode.

3. Can we write some data on the partition where journal is aborted.

One more question, how unlinked inode is handled by ext3 ?

Regards
Shubham

Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 AM
"Theodore Ts'o"

On Sun, Jan 20, 2013 at 07:39:24PM +0530, shubham wrote:
> I was looking at the code of ext3 file system and found some strange
> implementation there :
>
> Can someone let me know the validity of below statements and with
> reasoning :
>
> 1. I found that it might also happen that journal is aborted but not
> re-mounted
> 2. Journal gets aborted but it might be possible to mount it in
> read-write mode.
> 3. Can we write some data on the partition where journal is aborted.

Sorry, I'm not at all sure what you're asking. Can you go into more
detail about what you're concerned about?

Since I'm guessing English is not your first language, perhaps you can
demonstrates with a series of commands which triggers what you think
could happen? Or point at the explicit C code that for which you have
questions?

> One more question, how unlinked inode is handled by ext3 ?

Handled in what way? Again, what are you wondering about?

- Ted

Old 01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
shubham

I have RHEL-5.8 installed server.

Due to some inconsistent read write operation, ext3 journal got
corrupted and aborted but filesystem was not remounted read only.
In my understanding when there is ext3 journal has some corruption then
it should mount the filesystem read only .

So, I want to know in what cases this will not happen.

For unlinked inodes, I want to know the logic of handling unlinked
inodes in filesystem.

For an ex:
- Situation where unlinked inode will be found.
- How ext3 identifies unlinked inode ?
- What ext3 does when it sees an unlinked inode.

Regards
Shubham

Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Ric Wheeler

Due to some inconsistent read write operation, ext3 journal got corrupted and
aborted but filesystem was not remounted read only.
In my understanding when there is ext3 journal has some corruption then it
should mount the filesystem read only .

So, I want to know in what cases this will not happen.

For unlinked inodes, I want to know the logic of handling unlinked inodes in
filesystem.

For an ex:
- Situation where unlinked inode will be found.
- How ext3 identifies unlinked inode ?
- What ext3 does when it sees an unlinked inode.

Regards
Shubham

Hi Shubham,

If you are a Red Hat customer, you can always contact Red Hat Support. Upstream
lists can be helpful with ext3 in general, but we carry a lot of backports in
RHEL kernels that most upstream focused developers don't usually have to pay
attention to.

Best regards,

Ric

Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM
"Theodore Ts'o"

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 08:48:23PM +0530, shubham wrote:
> I have RHEL-5.8 installed server.
>
> Due to some inconsistent read write operation, ext3 journal got
> corrupted and aborted but filesystem was not remounted read only.
> In my understanding when there is ext3 journal has some corruption
> then it should mount the filesystem read only .
> So, I want to know in what cases this will not happen.

It will be remounted read-only if the file system has been configured
to do so. See the man page for tune2fs, and it's documentation abouts
its -e option, which allows you to set the behavior when a file system
corruption is detected. You can configure the superblock so that on
detection of a fs corruption, it will either continue (this is the
"don't worry, be happy" option), remount the file system read-only, or
panic the kernel. (The last might be appropriate if you have a high
availability setup where a backup system can take cover immediately;
in that case, a panic and reboot so the file system can be repaired
using fsck might be the best thing to do.)

> For unlinked inodes, I want to know the logic of handling unlinked
> inodes in filesystem.
>
> For an ex:
> - Situation where unlinked inode will be found.
> - How ext3 identifies unlinked inode ?
> - What ext3 does when it sees an unlinked inode.

I assume what you mean by this is when a directory discovers a file
name which points at a deleted inode? In that case, it will log a
file system error, which will cause an EXT3-fs error message to appear
in the system log, and then either reboot, remount read-only, or
continue.

Regards,

- Ted