Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 PM
"Ulf Zimmermann"

Default EXT3 and SAN Snap Shot, Best practice?

As RedHat has a limited choice of file systems it supports, I have a
need to use EXT3 together with Oracle and a SAN SnapShot (3Par
Snapclone). I was wondering if anyone could give me some feed back as to
the "best" method to do that.

So far I am thinking:

Put Oracle into Backup mode
Run sync (or multiple times)
Execute Snapshot command on SAN (takes less then 1 second).
Take Oracle out of Backup mode

Then on the system to be refreshed:

Shutdown oracle
Umount file system
Execute Snapshot update (3Par updatevv)
Run fsck.ext3 on the file system, which in my tries so far will just
recover journals
Mount file system
Go through work to recover Oracle
Start Oracle.