-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   wipe freespace on ext3? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/68604-wipe-freespace-ext3.html)

defcon 04-12-2008 11:09 AM

wipe freespace on ext3?

Hey all, I have failed at wiping my freespace on my hard drive, what I
have done is:
[dd] if=/dev/urandom of=bigfile
and I also have tried sfill from the secure delete package from thc.
I have successfully recovered all deleted files after wiping the hard
drive with foremost, since this is a journaling filesystem is there
any way around this, is anyone experienced in this and have tried to
wipe/recover files on ext3?
Thanks
defcon

Eric Sandeen 04-12-2008 03:27 PM

wipe freespace on ext3?

defcon wrote:
> Hey all, I have failed at wiping my freespace on my hard drive, what I
> have done is:
> [dd] if=/dev/urandom of=bigfile
> and I also have tried sfill from the secure delete package from thc.
> I have successfully recovered all deleted files after wiping the hard
> drive with foremost, since this is a journaling filesystem is there
> any way around this, is anyone experienced in this and have tried to
> wipe/recover files on ext3?
> Thanks
> defcon

If you think journaling is the issue, tune2fs -O ^has_journal, mount it
as ext2, and run your wiper again.

However, in almost all cases I would not expect that you'll be able to
recover "all deleted files" from a properly wiped filesystem, even with
a journal. (the exception might be something like only a few files
deleted, and journaled data mode, and a very smart recovery tool,
although I'd expect the wiper to wrap the log anyway, depending on how
it runs).

-Eric

Forest Bond 04-12-2008 03:36 PM

wipe freespace on ext3?

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 04:09:17AM -0700, defcon wrote:
> Hey all, I have failed at wiping my freespace on my hard drive, what I
> have done is:
> [dd] if=/dev/urandom of=bigfile
> and I also have tried sfill from the secure delete package from thc.
> I have successfully recovered all deleted files after wiping the hard
> drive with foremost, since this is a journaling filesystem is there
> any way around this, is anyone experienced in this and have tried to
> wipe/recover files on ext3?

If you wiped so little data that the kernel cached it all and you removed
bigfile before the cache could be flushed, perhaps the disk never got touched.
Maybe try `sync' after running dd.

-Forest
--
Forest Bond