Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Aron

Default What can I do to speed up my file system copy

Just like the title,what can I do to speed up my file system copy.I heard about that using cache can speed up big file's copy,but I don't know how to do that.If possible,I prefer that when I copy some small files, the system don't use cache but write on the harddisk immediately,but when I copy a file that it is bigger than a specific size,the system use the cache to speed up the operate.I also heard that NFS server have some feature like this,but I am not sure,because I really know little about this.

***

欧逸丽*超值特价房仅限9*,5550元起 。010-61598313__________________________________________ _____
Ext3-users mailing list
Ext3-users@redhat.com

Old 04-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Aron

Just like the title,what can I do to speed up my file system copy.I heard about that using cache can speed up big file's copy,but I don't know how to do that.If possible,I prefer that when I copy some small files, the system don't use cache but write on the harddisk immediately,but when I copy a file that it is bigger than a specific size,the system use the cache to speed up the operate.I also heard that NFS server have some feature like this,but I am not sure,because I really know little about this.

品质打动世界,星河湾全新三期*销 *VIP:8610-85519999--

Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 AM
Nils Kassube

Aron wrote:
> Just like the title,what can I do to speed up my file system copy.I
> heard about that using cache can speed up big file's copy,but I don't
> know how to do that.

The Linux kernel uses a cache automatically, there is nothing needed to
activate it.

> If possible,I prefer that when I copy some small
> files, the system don't use cache but write on the harddisk
> immediately,but when I copy a file that it is bigger than a specific
> size,the system use the cache to speed up the operate.

I don't think you can switch caching off. However, if you want your files
to be written to disk immediately, you can use the command sync (in a
terminal).

> I also heard that
> NFS server have some feature like this,but I am not sure,because I
> really know little about this.

NFS is a bit different than regular disks, but I think it depends on the
client, not the server. You can use the mount option sync when you mount
the NFS share to have data written immediately, but using that option
will slow down the writing speed. I don't know of a way to switch it on
or off for specific copy commands, other than remounting the share. The
mount option is permanent as long as the share is mounted.

Nils