Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
"Ling C. Ho"

Default Shrink ext3 filesystem , running out of inode questions

Hi,

I have an ext3 file system created with -T largefile4 option. Now it is
running out of inode but it's only about 10% full.

- Is there a way now to increase the number of inode without making a
new file system?

- If not, I am thinking about shrinking the file system, and then use
the free up space to create a new file system with more inodes, and move
the data over. Since I am already running out of inode, would I still be
able to shrink the file system?

Thanks,
ling

Old 04-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Eric Sandeen

Ling C. Ho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an ext3 file system created with -T largefile4 option. Now it is
> running out of inode but it's only about 10% full.
>
> - Is there a way now to increase the number of inode without making a
> new file system?

Growing the filesystem would add more inodes, but it's still not
probably what you want. You'd still have the same inode::block ratio.

> - If not, I am thinking about shrinking the file system, and then use
> the free up space to create a new file system with more inodes, and move
> the data over. Since I am already running out of inode, would I still be
> able to shrink the file system?

Shrinking should not require more inodes; that sounds like a decent plan.

-Eric

Old 04-16-2008, 02:57 PM
"Ling C. Ho"

Hi,

I tried creating a new file system and shrinking it. The inode count
reduced after the shrink. So, would shrinking the one filesystem I have
with all inode already used create problem? ie. where would the inodes
be reallocated after the number of block groups get reduced?

Thanks,
ling

Old 04-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Eric Sandeen

Ling C. Ho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried creating a new file system and shrinking it. The inode count
> reduced after the shrink. So, would shrinking the one filesystem I have
> with all inode already used create problem? ie. where would the inodes
> be reallocated after the number of block groups get reduced?

Ok, now that I've had coffee this morning and am thinking more
clearly... sorry.

Well, you will probably find that you can't shrink the fs much if at
all, due to the inodes being in use, you're right.

Dump and restore might be the best plan.

-Eric