-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   memory usage and stage2= ?? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/59377-memory-usage-stage2.html)

Jerry Vonau 03-21-2008 04:14 AM

memory usage and stage2= ??

Hi All:

How is stage2= suppose to work? For the hdinstall.c in the patch,
if you give "anything" as stage2= then the installer looks for
/mnt/isodir/images/stage2.img to loopback mount, then still looks in the
user given iso directory. Kind of like an override for the stage2 on the
iso, as a bonus if you can't find stage2, backing out clears the flag,
and will look to the iso for stage2. At least you could have an install
tree, like a nfs install with a bit of work. Maybe an "boot.iso-2-usb

drive" could work now? (It does...)

I thought the whole idea of having stage2 available was to cut down on
memory usage. Any reason to copy stage2 to /tmp? for hd nfs cdrom
installs? didn't think so... then here is a patch...

Just some thoughts,

Jerry

Jerry Vonau 03-22-2008 01:01 AM

memory usage and stage2= ??

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Hi All:

How is stage2= suppose to work? For the hdinstall.c in the patch,
if you give "anything" as stage2= then the installer looks for
/mnt/isodir/images/stage2.img to loopback mount,

Well rather than break everything, I'll just break what I was playing
around with. ;-) For the boot prompt, I added a sting input in the form
of stg2= that goes where I was trying to use stage2= as a string. Well I
wonder if rescue mode works... be back later.

Jerry

Jerry Vonau 03-22-2008 01:49 PM

memory usage and stage2= ??

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Hi All:

How is stage2= suppose to work? For the hdinstall.c in the patch,
if you give "anything" as stage2= then the installer looks for
/mnt/isodir/images/stage2.img to loopback mount,

Well rather than break everything, I'll just break what I was playing
around with. ;-) For the boot prompt, I added a sting input in the form
of stg2= that goes where I was trying to use stage2= as a string. Well I
wonder if rescue mode works... be back later.

Jerry

Well that broke network stuff, this one is better. This one includes the
previous patch with some changes to nfsintall.c (bz438377) and dropping
of the cdinstall.c patch.

Jerry

Jerry Vonau 03-22-2008 06:57 PM

memory usage and stage2= ??

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Hi All:

How is stage2= suppose to work? For the hdinstall.c in the patch,
if you give "anything" as stage2= then the installer looks for
/mnt/isodir/images/stage2.img to loopback mount,

Well rather than break everything, I'll just break what I was playing
around with. ;-) For the boot prompt, I added a sting input in the
form of stg2= that goes where I was trying to use stage2= as a string.
Well I wonder if rescue mode works... be back later.

Jerry

Well that broke network stuff, this one is better. This one includes the
previous patch with some changes to nfsintall.c (bz438377) and dropping
of the cdinstall.c patch.

Jerry

Think I got it this time, placement in the .h file is everything....

Jerry

Jerry Vonau 03-23-2008 03:12 PM

memory usage and stage2= ??

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Hi All:

How is stage2= suppose to work? For the hdinstall.c in the patch,
if you give "anything" as stage2= then the installer looks for
/mnt/isodir/images/stage2.img to loopback mount,

Well rather than break everything, I'll just break what I was playing
around with. ;-) For the boot prompt, I added a sting input in the
form of stg2= that goes where I was trying to use stage2= as a
string. Well I wonder if rescue mode works... be back later.

Jerry

Well that broke network stuff, this one is better. This one includes
the previous patch with some changes to nfsintall.c (bz438377) and
dropping of the cdinstall.c patch.

Jerry

Think I got it this time, placement in the .h file is everything....

Jerry
With this final patch, reverted the device live, if stg2= is found
/mnt/isodir is remounted /mnt/source. This allows the usbdrive to be a
repo install-tree living in root of the drive. This should allow the
contents of an install iso to be copied to a usbdrive, and used a repo.
Or create your own custom repo, update stage2.img if needed, add an
updates.img image. Making this usbdrive bootable is for another day.

Hope it's useful to someone else,

Jerry

Jerry Vonau 03-23-2008 03:18 PM

memory usage and stage2= ??

Jerry Vonau wrote:

Hope it's useful to someone else,

Let's see if this one gets mangled...

Jerry

Jeremy Katz 03-23-2008 11:10 PM

memory usage and stage2= ??

On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 00:14 -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> How is stage2= suppose to work? For the hdinstall.c in the patch,
> if you give "anything" as stage2= then the installer looks for
> /mnt/isodir/images/stage2.img to loopback mount, then still looks in the
> user given iso directory. Kind of like an override for the stage2 on the
> iso, as a bonus if you can't find stage2, backing out clears the flag,
> and will look to the iso for stage2. At least you could have an install
> tree, like a nfs install with a bit of work. Maybe an "boot.iso-2-usb
> drive" could work now? (It does...)
>
> I thought the whole idea of having stage2 available was to cut down on
> memory usage. Any reason to copy stage2 to /tmp? for hd nfs cdrom
> installs? didn't think so... then here is a patch...

Mostly a matter of "haven't gotten around to fixing up to use it from
where it is again" yet. Chris was going to look at it, so I'll make
sure to bug him about these patches tomorrow.

Jeremy