Old 02-13-2008, 10:02 AM
"Massimo Bongi"

Default problems with ext3 after resizing

Hello,
I have problems with an ext3 partition whose data I would like not to
lose, and I hope some one can help me..

I've used parted 1.6.19 to grow an ext3 partition (after adding some
disks to a RAID array). It worked without errors, but now when I try
to mount again the partition I get:

# mount -t ext3 /dev/sdb1 /mountpoint
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
or too many mounted file systems

with a corresponding message in dmesg:

EXT3-fs: journal inode is deleted.

I also tried mounting it ext2, getting the same from mount and this in dmesg:

EXT2-fs: corrupt root inode, run e2fsck

If I try dumpe2fs it does not complain:

# dumpe2fs -h /dev/sdb1
dumpe2fs 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Filesystem volume name: <none>
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: bf311738-c5af-4642-81ee-5fe1b2a4921f
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal filetype sparse_super large_file
Default mount options: (none)
Filesystem state: clean
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 851853312
Block count: 1703705079
Reserved block count: 0
Free blocks: 1413636793
Free inodes: 851801401
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Fragments per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 16384
Inode blocks per group: 512
Last mount time: Mon Feb 11 10:01:29 2008
Last write time: Mon Feb 11 10:03:16 2008
Mount count: 13
Maximum mount count: 30
Last checked: Fri Nov 30 11:58:05 2007
Check interval: 0 (<none>)
Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
First inode: 11
Inode size: 128
Journal inode: 8
Journal backup: inode blocks

and actually a plain e2fsck says it is clean. To make ireally t check
the partition I added -f, and in this case I get:

# e2fsck -f -n /dev/sdb1
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Root inode is not a directory. Clear? no

Journal is not regular file. Fix? no

Pass 2: Checking directory structure
Pass 3: Checking directory connectivity
Root inode not allocated. Allocate? no

Cannot proceed without a root inode.
e2fsck: aborted

Does anyone understand what's going on? Which is the best strategy to
recover it? I fear that a e2fsck -f without will delete the root inode
and I will lose everything..

Any help is appreciated,
Massimo

Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
"Christian Kujau"

On Wed, February 13, 2008 12:02, Massimo Bongi wrote:
On Wed, February 13, 2008 12:02, Massimo Bongi wrote:
> Does anyone understand what's going on? Which is the best strategy to
> recover it? I fear that a e2fsck -f without will delete the root inode and
> I will lose everything..

In case you don't have a recent backup, I'd probably make a backup now (dd
from sdb1) and then try to fsck sdb1. When something goes wrong, you can
always replay your diskimage...

Christian.
--
make bzImage, not war