-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   How to mount ext3 root partition with noatime and ro options at boot-time (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/526857-how-mount-ext3-root-partition-noatime-ro-options-boot-time.html)

Amey 05-16-2011 01:12 PM

How to mount ext3 root partition with noatime and ro options at boot-time

Hi all,** * * *I was trying to mount root-partition which is ext3 partition with noatime and ro option. I included "ro" in the kernel command line *But for mounting it with "noatime" option when I searched for some solution I came across a patch*

** * * * * * * **http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/8/5/38*** * * *But after applying this patch and including option "noatime" in kernel command line , kernel by default mounts all the partition with "noatime" option which is not my requirement. I just want to mount root partition with ro and noatime option and other partitions with atime option at boottime only. So please help me in this regard.

** * * *Thanking you all in advance.
Cheers,AM

Christian Kujau 05-17-2011 08:10 PM

On Mon, 16 May 2011 at 18:42, Amey wrote:
> I was trying to mount root-partition which is ext3 partition with
> noatime and ro option. I included "ro" in the kernel command line But for
> mounting it with "noatime" option when I searched for some solution I came

Use tune2fs(8) to set default mount options for this partition. Or use the
"rootflags=" bootparameter, e.g. rootflags=noatime,ro for setting noatime
& readonly for the root filesystem.

HTH,
Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #110:

The rolling stones concert down the road caused a brown out

Stephen Samuel 05-18-2011 03:13 AM

How to mount ext3 root partition with noatime and ro options at boot-time

So, if you mount the system ro, then why do you even need noatime -- since atime can't be updated at all if you're not writing to the filesystem.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Christian Kujau <lists@nerdbynature.de> wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2011 at 18:42, Amey wrote:

> * * * * I was trying to mount root-partition which is ext3 partition with

> noatime and ro option. I included "ro" in the kernel command line *But for

> mounting it with "noatime" option when I searched for some solution I came

Use tune2fs(8) to set default mount options for this partition. Or use the

"rootflags=" bootparameter, e.g. rootflags=noatime,ro for setting noatime

& readonly for the root filesystem.

HTH,

Christian.

--

BOFH excuse #110:

The rolling stones concert down the road caused a brown out

Stephen Samuel http://www.bcgreen.com* Software, like love,
778-861-7641* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * grows when you give it away

Christian Kujau 05-18-2011 03:16 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2011 at 20:13, Stephen Samuel wrote:
> So, if you mount the system ro, then why do you even need noatime -- since
> atime can't be updated at all if you're not writing to the filesystem.

Hehe, good point :-)

C.
--
BOFH excuse #55:

Plumber mistook routing panel for decorative wall fixture