-   EXT3 Users (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/)
-   -   ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file (http://www.linux-archive.org/ext3-users/497082-ext3_free_blocks_sb-when-removing-more-than-1gb-file.html)

Stephane Cerveau 03-04-2011 09:52 AM

ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

Dear all,

*

I’m formatting a specific MSC key in ext3. This key sizes 4GB.

When I copy a file which is more than 1GB ( 1024MB), I got many errors “Ext3-fs error ( device sda1): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already cleared for block
xxxx” when I try to remove it after having sync the copy.

Do you know why I could have this kind of error?

Why the problem appears only on this kind of key ?

What can I do to identify the problem?

It seems that there is no error in the FS (e2fsck done successfully) before removing the key.

*

Best regards.

*

*

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5924 (20110303) __________

http://www.eset.com

Stephane Cerveau 03-04-2011 02:45 PM

ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

Dear all,

*

It seems that if I change the size of blocks to 2048 by mkfs.ext3 –b 2048 /dev/sda1, the problem does not appear.

*

Is there a way to know by advance what is the best block size for an external device ?

BR

*

Stephane

*

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5925 (20110304) __________

http://www.eset.com

Eric Sandeen 03-04-2011 03:26 PM

On 3/4/11 9:45 AM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> It seems that if I change the size of blocks to 2048 by mkfs.ext3 –b
> 2048 /dev/sda1, the problem does not appear.
>
> Is there a way to know by advance what is the best block size for an
> external device ?
>
> BR

Sounds like a storage problem; not a filesystem problem, something
to do with the flash behaving badly.

-Eric

Stephane Cerveau 03-04-2011 04:33 PM

ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

Hello,

I checked the storage that seems to be ok ( check bad block) and I still have the problem.
I did the test on vfat and I don’t have the problem.
I'm using a 2.6.23 kernel ?
When the ext3 fs is considered as stable ?

BR

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5926 (20110304) __________

http://www.eset.com

Eric Sandeen 03-04-2011 04:44 PM

On 3/4/11 11:33 AM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I checked the storage that seems to be ok ( check bad block) and I
> still have the problem. I did the test on vfat and I don’t have the
> problem. I'm using a 2.6.23 kernel ? When the ext3 fs is considered
> as stable ?

I don't mean that it's an IO error or a bad block, but perhaps a behavioral
problem with the flash; maybe not syncing properly before it's powered
off, etc. If it only happens with some USB drives, I do not think
it is an ext3 issue.

Your original problem report may not have been totally clear so maybe
I misunderstand.

Can you show exactly what you did, and exactly what error messages
you received, keeping in mind that any IO type errors that don't
say "ext3" are also relevant?

-Eric

Stephane Cerveau 03-04-2011 04:54 PM

ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.
Here is my steps:

- mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
- mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
- dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/usb/test_file bs=1M count=1025 ( the size is important)
- sync
- rm /mnt/usb/test_file

Then many errors appears "Ext3-fs error ( device sda1): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already cleared for block xxxx"

I tried to umount/mount the storage but its not working also.
I tried to check the device before removing the file, not working also.
Indeed with another usb key it's working...
I'm using a kernel 2.6.23

The problem does NOT appear with mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1 before

What do you advise to do ?

BR

Stephane.

Eric Sandeen 03-04-2011 04:59 PM

On 3/4/11 11:54 AM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Here is my steps:
>
> - mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
> - mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb
> - dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/usb/test_file bs=1M count=1025 ( the size is important)
> - sync
> - rm /mnt/usb/test_file

Ok, I had the impression that you were removing the usb key at
some point in the test, but I guess not.

> Then many errors appears "Ext3-fs error ( device sda1): ext3_free_blocks_sb: bit already cleared for block xxxx"
>
> I tried to umount/mount the storage but its not working also.
> I tried to check the device before removing the file, not working also.

you mean that umount/mount/rm gives the same error? As does umount/fsck/mount/rm ?

> Indeed with another usb key it's working...
> I'm using a kernel 2.6.23
>
> The problem does NOT appear with mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1 before
>
> What do you advise to do ?

Try a much newer kernel, first of all, to see if it's a known, fixed bug.

But since it works on another usb key, I still tend to blame the hardware.
"bit already cleared" makes it sound like it is reading zeros when it
should not be.

-Eric

Stephane Cerveau 03-04-2011 05:07 PM

ext3_free_blocks_sb when removing a more than 1GB file

:) I'm not removing the key during the test.

Yes "umount/mount/rm", "umount/fsck/mount/rm" and "rm" give the same error...

I have several keys from the same brand, model and I have the same issue.

When I said, a different key, it was a different brand.

At the end, it seems that ext2 is working fine!

So maybe a problem in ext3 in 2.6.23 kernel ?!?
I had a try on 2.6.32_27, I did not succeed to reproduce the issue.

Do you know when ext3 is supposed to be stable ?

BR

Stephane

Eric Sandeen 03-04-2011 05:13 PM

On 3/4/11 12:07 PM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> :) I'm not removing the key during the test.
>
> Yes "umount/mount/rm", "umount/fsck/mount/rm" and "rm" give the same error...
>
> I have several keys from the same brand, model and I have the same issue.
>
> When I said, a different key, it was a different brand.
>
> At the end, it seems that ext2 is working fine!

It may well have different IO patterns.

> So maybe a problem in ext3 in 2.6.23 kernel ?!?
> I had a try on 2.6.32_27, I did not succeed to reproduce the issue.
>
> Do you know when ext3 is supposed to be stable ?

heh, 2.4.x or so.

You could bisect kernel versions and see if you can arrive at a change
that fixed it.

I'd also find some tools to do more extensive IO testing on your usb
key, I still think it might be a hardware problem since only some
brand/models are affected.

-Eric

Andreas Dilger 03-04-2011 09:17 PM

On 2011-03-04, at 11:07 AM, Stephane Cerveau wrote:
> I have several keys from the same brand, model and I have the same issue.
>
> When I said, a different key, it was a different brand.

I would typically blame the USB key. Some cheap vendors use unreliable chips, and sometimes even mis-label e.g. 1GB flash as 2GB.

> At the end, it seems that ext2 is working fine!

Except I don't think ext2 is doing this bitmap validation at runtime, like ext3/4 is doing.

I'm not sure whether "badblocks" is verifying that the storage is behaving correctly (i.e. correct block addressing), or only whether it is able to write/read a particular sector on disk.

You could use a more advanced block device verification tool, like llverdev from Lustre, which writes a unique test pattern to every block, and then reads it back afterward.

> So maybe a problem in ext3 in 2.6.23 kernel ?!?
> I had a try on 2.6.32_27, I did not succeed to reproduce the issue.
>
> Do you know when ext3 is supposed to be stable ?

For 10+ years already.

Cheers, Andreas