Old 02-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Stephane Cerveau

Default Increase EXT3 format speed.

Dear all,

*

On certain USB MSC dongle, the mkfs.ext3 can take around 3 min for 4GB. It seems that the process is locked in sync function. Do you know how I could increase the speed of this process?

With mkfs.ext4 it’s about 1 min to format it …

*

*

Stéphane Cerveau

Software Engineer

scerveau@awox.com

Phone:
+33 4 99 53 27 39

93, Pierre Duhem

34000 Montpellier

FRANCE

Phone: +33 4 67 47 10 00

Fax:***** +33 4 67 47 10 15

*

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5913 (20110228) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old 02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Andreas Dilger

You can speed up mke2fs by reducing the inode count (-i or -N) if your average file size is over 8kB, reduce the journal size (-J size=4) and/or use the lazy_journal_init patch I posted recently, and/or use the lazy_itable_init option. I assume since format performance is important that you do it often and the risk of an uninitialized inode table is low.*
Or, you could use ext4, which is also faster at runtime, not just format time.*

Cheers, Andreas

Old 02-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Alex Bligh

--On 28 February 2011 08:25:03 -0700 Andreas Dilger <adilger@dilger.ca>