Old 02-04-2011, 02:57 AM
Uematsu Takeshi

Default minus disk usage

Hi,This is Takeshi Uematsu.

I have a trouble on the ext3 filesystem.
The df command indicates minus disk usage.
Dose anyone know why this happned ?
Any ideas be appreciated.

# df -h
/dev/sda2 97G -26G 118G - /
/dev/sda1 99M 15M 80M 16% /boot
tmpfs 2.0G 0 2.0G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda3 803G 3.9G 758G 1% /home

fdisk /dev/sda

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 13067 104856255 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 13068 121193 868522095 83 Linux
/dev/sda4 121194 121454 2096482+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Old 02-05-2011, 03:16 AM
Stephen Samuel

Sooner or later, the system WILL come to a stop -- either on purpose, or in a crash ... the only question is whether or not it will be recoverable.

Then again, how big is the filesystem? .. Nevermind... I looked back at your original post.

A couple of ideas:

* 1) make a backup AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE before shutting down the system... If possible, after all services have been shut down.
(if you can't do that, then backup everything, then backup everything that's changed since the first backup started, then* shut* down services and

backup everything since the incremental backup started.* (for minimal down time).

If you've backed up to a second system that can replace the running (and broken system), then use the second system in place of the corrupt system,* and you're now relatively happy.* You can work on cleaning up the filesystem and/or figuring out what broke it.

otherwise, you can either (1) wipe the filesystem and restore it from backup, or (2) FSCK the system in hopes of cleaning things up ((( or, ultimately, both, if #2 fails))).

A couple of more options:
1: install / build smartmontools for your system and make sure that the drive, itself, isn't failing.

2: the problem is with your root filesystem, and I'm presuming that /home is where most of your 'live' data is.* This means that, if you follow the process above, your final incremental backup should be TINY.

*** If the hard drive, itself, isn't failing, then you can build yourself a new root filesystem* (on an external usb/esata drive, if you don't

have hot-swap capability) from/as your backup , and boot off of that.* That would mean a minimal investment in new hardware (if you have a limited budget
and/or esoteric hardware on your system). and minimal downtime (a few minutes) .

If you have a second machine with the same/similar mother board, then you can practice booting off of the spare drive there.

Worst case would be to boot off of a live CD and do an FSCK that way, but it could take quite a while, and there is no guarantee that the filesystem will have all of the parts left to be bootable after that, if FSCK removes a bunch of critical files -- or the files are already corrupted.