Old 12-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Keith Roberts

Default Inode 196617 has imagic flag set

This is stopping my new Centos 5.5 installation from
booting.

I have dropped into maintainance mode and run e2fsck without
getting any errors. I used the -c option, and no bad blocks
were found.

I've run another disk checker program called Vivard, from
the Ultimate Boot CD disk. That completed without any errors
as well.

So this is a mystery why I get this error at boot time.

Any ideas what's happening please?

Where can I find out more about ext3, such as inodes, dtime
and imagic flag?

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

in practice they are not.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:24 AM
"Ted Ts'o"

On Sun, Dec 05, 2010 at 10:10:38PM +0000, Keith Roberts wrote:
> This is stopping my new Centos 5.5 installation from booting.
>
> I have dropped into maintainance mode and run e2fsck without getting
> any errors. I used the -c option, and no bad blocks were found.

That error "Inode ... has imagic flag set" is an e2fsck error. Do you
have more than one file system on your system? Maybe you checked the
one file system, and the error was on another file system.

That error very often means that part of your inode table has gotten
corrupted, since that flag should never get set during normal
operation. (It was implemented for AFS file servers.)

- Ted

Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Keith Roberts