Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Muhammad Ammar

Default EXT3 Reserve Space

Hi All,

Whenever an EXT3 partition is created some space is reserved for super-user, *I used the mkfs.ext3 with option -m set to 0, but there is no effect it still reserve the space. How can i set the reserved-space to 0 or calculate the reserved-space in advance?

Any suggestion/idea?

Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 PM
"Lakshmipathi.G"

Hi,
Are you sure -m option is not working with mkfs.ext3? Can you verify it using tune2fs ?
If 5% is reserved already, you can use "tune2fs* -m 0 device" to modify it and check Reserved blocks count using "tune2fs -l device" command.

HTH

--
----
Cheers,

Old 10-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Eric Sandeen

Muhammad Ammar wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Whenever an EXT3 partition is created some space is reserved for
> super-user, I used the mkfs.ext3 with option -m set to 0, but there is
> no effect it still reserve the space. How can i set the reserved-space
> to 0 or calculate the reserved-space in advance?
>
> Any suggestion/idea?

Please let us know the version of e2fsprogs you are using, and then
show the commands you used which exhibited this problem.

Thanks,
-Eric

Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Muhammad Ammar

Hi,
Yes, I checked it with both(mkfs.ext3 and tune3fs) on multiple systems but no effect. I also checked -m with multiple values(0, 1) but no effect
I am using Fedora 13.

Regards,

Old 10-05-2010, 03:30 PM
Muhammad Ammar

Hi,

I think problem is solved. Actually i am checking the sizes in gparted and it is showing wrong value for 'USED' field.
Now i check the sizes using df and it shows correct sizes.

The version of e2fsprogs is:
e2fsprogs-1.41.10-6.fc13.i686
I used the following command to create an ext3 file system

mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/sda2

Thanks to all of you for your time and sorry for confusion.

Regards,