Old 09-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Samson Yeung

Default list used blocks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a tool that lists the used blocks in an ext3 file system.
Is there already a tool that does exactly that? The closest I could
find is dumpe2fs which lists groups, and free blocks within the group.

Thanks,
-Samson

Old 09-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Eric Sandeen

On 09/23/2010 10:08 AM, Samson Yeung wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a tool that lists the used blocks in an ext3 file system.
> Is there already a tool that does exactly that? The closest I could
> find is dumpe2fs which lists groups, and free blocks within the group.

That's about the best there is, I think. (I assume you want to know
the actual block numbers in use?)

If you need something better and have some programming chops you could
look at how dumpe2fs finds that info, and print it out in a format more
to your liking...

find /blah | xargs filefrag -v might be parseable into something useful too.

Just out of curiosity what will you do with the list of used blocks?

-Eric

Old 09-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Samson Yeung

> Just out of curiosity what will you do with the list of used blocks?

Write partimage, apparently. I was trying to speed up an archive
procedure and was planning to use dd and only copy used blocks to a
sparse file, but partimage looks like it already does it!

Thanks,
-Samson